Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Philosopher
Connoisseur
Philosopher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exclamation formats column

Someone was kind enough to show me how to create an isbn column.

How can I create a column which displays the formats?

Thanks.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just as you did for isbn, create a custom column 'built from other columns'. The template is {formats}
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
iceman31ad
iceman31ad began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
ok lets see if you can help me

i am wanting to get the column to show only one format at a time aka i want it to show a yes or no if it has mobi and another to show if it has epub and so on ... so you think that is possible and if it's already been covered im sorry ... just trying to find a way to keep it up to date automatically i know i can make a column that says mobi with yes/no and so on for each format and edit by hand you get the idea what i am wanting to do hope you can help

Last edited by iceman31ad; 01-07-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: been up for 2 days with a sick little girl
iceman31ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
If I understand you correctly, what you are proposing may be unnecessarily complicated. Just make a format column the way chaley suggested. To view one format only, open the Tag browser (the button with the little luggage tag on it), click on the Format bitton, then click on the one you want to display. That will display only the books with that format.

Of course, I may have totally misunderstood you.

I hope your little girl is feeling better.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman31ad View Post
i am wanting to get the column to show only one format at a time aka i want it to show a yes or no if it has mobi and another to show if it has epub and so on ... so you think that is possible and if it's already been covered im sorry ... just trying to find a way to keep it up to date automatically i know i can make a column that says mobi with yes/no and so on for each format and edit by hand you get the idea what i am wanting to do hope you can help
Why bother with all that, when you can use the luggage tag (or search tool) format section?

formats:mobi
formats:epub
then all you see is:
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
iceman31ad

i have my reasons

i have received over 2000 ebooks in all sorts of formats some in multiple formats and some where the meta data is there but nothing else and most of these are for my wife for use on her kindle. and i want to be able to sort it out example i want to all epub books and see if it has a mobi format or not then so a batch conversion and know if the conversion took any other way and you have to go one by one. or worse yet print a page and search does this make any sense now

edit

thought how can you make a column query wither a format is there i know you have the tab but can you get it to just display the info in the column with out hand editing

aka a column that asks is mobi there yes or no
i was thinking the code to make it work would be {format}*(mobi=true)* but i all i got was a listing with mobi=true after it
been up with a sick little girl for 2 days so plaese if its not posible just say so if its complicated give it a try its beyond me i know but if you are going to say its too hard and tell me to do it the way i have been doing it please don't bother

Last edited by iceman31ad; 01-07-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
That was a long sentence

What the others are suggesting is that perhaps your best bet is just to use the search engine rather than using custom columns as it should give the same effect.

For instance to find all the books that have EPUB but do not have MOBI, type this into the search box:
format:epub and not format:mobi
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
That was a long sentence

What the others are suggesting is that perhaps your best bet is just to use the search engine rather than using custom columns as it should give the same effect.

For instance to find all the books that have EPUB but do not have MOBI, type this into the search box:
format:epub and not format:mobi
And then use the save search tool to the right so the S-O can use the saved name.
Extremely useful with more complex searches
formats:true and not formats:epub <-show me books that need conversion to epub but hide empty books
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
iceman31ad

ok thats not how i wanted to do it but it does what i want to do with out having to check each one individually thank you both

and yes i did try reading the instruction manual but that thing needs a true toc
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman31ad View Post

and yes i did try reading the instruction manual but that thing needs a true toc
What we need is a 'loose leaf' Calibre cookbook
With easy to find "Desired Results", step by step instructions
I want to do for...
Kindle User:
Sony user:
Drop box:
MAC:
Ubuntu:
Win7:
XP:

I don't know about you, but screen width has become precious (and I only added 3 small columns and hid a few) on my widescreen monitor.
So using a filter/saved search to do something that saves screen width, gets my
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
iceman31ad

yea that sounds better
Old 01-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@iceman31ad: you can do what you want. Showing you will need to wait until tomorrow, as today is fully booked.

If you want to give it a try, use something like
{formats:contains(epub,Yes,No)}
Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
iceman31ad

well it looks like that is half way there i tried tweaking it but i keep getting errors like it always says no
Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Use {formats:contains(EPUB,Yes,No)}

The test is case-sensitive
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
iceman31ad

ok i am an idiot i didnt think about case at all