Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #46
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Let's start at the beginning. Fire does not compete with iPad. Bezos said so and I believe him. Amazon phone will not compete with iPhone. Amazon's ecosystem is and product line is competing with Apple's ecosystem and product line. With me so far?

Apple understands this. That is why Apple introduced the mini. The mini says, "Amazon doesn't sell anything we don't sell."

When someone wants to buy or rent media, they will be choosing between Amazon with it's tablets, phones, Prime, and Instant services and Apple's tablets, phones, and itunes.

Unless you are already invested in Apple, Amazon is significantly less expensive. If their products are good enough, a lot of people will choose cheaper. If you are an AAPL investor, you should be wondering if it will be more difficult to attract new customers for existing and future products. Already, I can buy my whole family Fires for the price of an iPad. What if this Amazon phone comes with a family friendly shared plan? Supported by offers? AAPL investors may wonder if Apple is going to have to reduce margins to maintain market share.

If Apple has to start competing on price, their model falls apart. The profits fund R&D, marketing, and dividends. If Apple doesn't roll out the next amazing thing, then they ae just expensive versions of what everyone else is selling. If they cut marketing, then no one will know how amazing their products are. If they cut dividends, their investors will flee.

So, when it was announced that the Amazon phone is a lot closer than the next amazing iThing, there was a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of AAPL share holders suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #47
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Why is it that every conversation around here devolves into something about Apple?

And it's never someone popping in to go off topic with some pro-Apple spew, it's always someone with something negative.

You people promote the name more than that mythical, mysterious 'PR Machine' that gets referred to when all logic fails. Why would they need one when even the naysayers can't stop talking about them.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #48
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Why is it that every conversation around here devolves into something about Apple?

And it's never someone popping in to go off topic with some pro-Apple spew, it's always someone with something negative.

You people promote the name more than that mythical, mysterious 'PR Machine' that gets referred to when all logic fails. Why would they need one when even the naysayers can't stop talking about them.
It is not always about you buddy. Not at all. So get over it.

Everyone likes to measure progress and since Apple has been one of the high marks on the height rod it is used for comparison. If they had been at the bottom to begin with, no one would talk much about them.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #49
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
It is not always about you buddy. Not at all. So get over it.

Everyone likes to measure progress and since Apple has been one of the high marks on the height rod it is used for comparison. If they had been at the bottom to begin with, no one would talk much about them.
When did he bring himself up, "buddy"? It's all about you people and your overwhelming obsession.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #50
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
When did he bring himself up, "buddy"? It's all about you people and your overwhelming obsession.
"You people"?! Generalize much?!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #51
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Shrug. I would name them but it's probably against the rules. It should be obvious to all who is being talked about.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #52
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
"You people"?! Generalize much?!
I have noticed that all the "you buddys" do.

It is knee jerk.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 AM   #53
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Apple stock is still up 26% for the year and 161% for last five years. Apple investors have done quite well.

In comparison the S&P 500 is up 13% this year and down from five years ago about 2%.

And if you owned a bunch of Apple stock in 2002 ....
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #54
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Apple stock is still up 26% for the year and 161% for last five years. Apple investors have done quite well.

In comparison the S&P 500 is up 13% this year and down from five years ago about 2%.

And if you owned a bunch of Apple stock in 2002 ....
The people who bid AAPL up to $700 did not do well. Past performance, as they say, is not an indicator of future success. Apple has never had competitors. Microsoft invested in Apple.

The idea that a company -- a big, successful company with a good reputation and deep pockets -- will have product in every category that Apple has product and a closed ecosystem that discourages mixing and matching of products is new. For AAPL to continue to climb, people are going to have to choose Apple over Amazon -- iPad over Fire AND iPhone over aPhone, AND iTunes over Prime. That could happen, but it's not the sure thing it was when Amazon was selling books.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 AM   #55
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
... but it's not the sure thing it was when Amazon was selling books.
Or indeed before Google got their act together over the Play store. I'm a big fan of Amazon, but I find myself turning to Google more and more now.

Music: better download quality, and 20,000 of your own tracks in the cloud for free. I've got getting on for 200 albums up there already now.

eBooks: available as epub.

Magazines... well, they've a way to go to match the price or UI of Zinio, but give them a few more months to shake it down...

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #56
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Or indeed before Google got their act together over the Play store. I'm a big fan of Amazon, but I find myself turning to Google more and more now.
That's part of the commoditization of the Apple model. I'm not sure Google will be there in the end, but they certainly are a problem right now.

BTW, I finally put my hands on a Surface. It's pretty nice. I don't like the keyboard/cover, but they have a very usable chicklet keyboard. With MS, there is the whole Xbox issue. As set top boxes go, the Xbox is priced competitively with all but the least expensive. If you are already paying for live for gaming, there is some entertainment as well.

This is simply an exploding market with a lot of variety in features and price. It's not the kind of arena Apple has had success in.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #57
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Let's start at the beginning. Fire does not compete with iPad. Bezos said so and I believe him. Amazon phone will not compete with iPhone. Amazon's ecosystem is and product line is competing with Apple's ecosystem and product line. With me so far?
This is what I said, so why would I need to be with you?

Quote:
So, when it was announced that the Amazon phone is a lot closer than the next amazing iThing, there was a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of AAPL share holders suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Ignoring all the theatrical rubbish, what about this doesn't apply to the Nexus 4, which already exists?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #58
wizwor
Wizard

You need to read the 'theatrical rubbish' more carefully.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #59
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
You need to read the 'theatrical rubbish' more carefully.
No, I really do have better things to do with my life.
You now appear to be agreeing with me that the new Amazon phone would be a direct competitor to the Nexus 4 and similar, rather than the iPhone and SIII, so I'm not sure what there is left to say.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #60
wizwor
Wizard

It's a complex idea. Don't worry about it. AAPL is discounted right now.