Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #61
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by thus View Post
Here's a link to the firmware update on Amazon, complete with instructions on how to install it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

If already posted, I apologise.
Thanks very much - I'm going to try this out for sure.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #62
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
As noted by Amazon, this is an "early preview" of the update so it may still change or be buggy.
Thanks for that warning. Now I may just pass over that beta upgrade for this one week. I'll rely on the hardware update I just got to lick my problems.

I did notice that the replacement unit was sent in a carton without the Quick Start Guide. Plus the first 13 digits of both units were exactly the same.

Thus, it is likely my replacement unit may have been through extensive testing by Amazon before they sent it to me.

As you had stated earlier, my particular problem may have only been a hardware anomaly. I'll test that theory this weekend first before installing the beta firmware release.

However, I'll access that link posted earlier each week to wait for the final firmware release.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-08-2010 at 03:55 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #63
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I've installed it. It seemed to cycle through the update process twice, but appears to be fine. I'll post if I have any issues with it.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #64
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I've installed it. It seemed to cycle through the update process twice, but appears to be fine. I'll post if I have any issues with it.
Thats normal. NiLuJe in the developer forum found out that its got a really horrible update mechanism.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 AM   #65
cybergeezer
cybergeezer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 and K3 3G + WiFi, Kindle Paperwhite WiFi, iPod Touch 3, 4 & 5
I had a couple of non-web browser freezes and one spontaneous reboot in 12 days of use so I wasn't that worried about it and had not called Customer Service (CS).

However, I did have a non-Amazon book (the guide from MoblieRead) that wouldn't index and that couldn't be deleted. I also noticed that page turns seemed to have slowed down.

I read a thread on the Amazon forum that posted a CS letter about deleting all the index files from the root directory then reeindexing. While considering that I saw the news about the availability of the beta software fix. I tried the beta fix and immediately noticed that I could delete the book that was not indexing and that page turns seemed faster.

Haven't been exercising the Kindle much since the beta download so too early to tell about its other effects but so far so good.
cybergeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergeezer View Post
I had a couple of non-web browser freezes and one spontaneous reboot in 12 days of use so I wasn't that worried about it and had not called Customer Service (CS).

However, I did have a non-Amazon book (the guide from MoblieRead) that wouldn't index and that couldn't be deleted. I also noticed that page turns seemed to have slowed down.

I read a thread on the Amazon forum that posted a CS letter about deleting all the index files from the root directory then reeindexing. While considering that I saw the news about the availability of the beta software fix. I tried the beta fix and immediately noticed that I could delete the book that was not indexing and that page turns seemed faster.

Haven't been exercising the Kindle much since the beta download so too early to tell about its other effects but so far so good.
Well, that's not good. I haven't loaded that catalog on the K3 yet, and after reading that I'm not sure I want to, but it always worked fine on my K2.

Has anyone else here experienced that problem with the MobileRead Guide on their K3?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
However, I did have a non-Amazon book (the guide from MoblieRead) that wouldn't index and that couldn't be deleted.
What do you mean when you say that it couldn't be deleted? When you tried to delete it from the "documents" folder, did you get a "file is in use" error, or something like that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

While kindle is indexing a book, you can't delete it. Since the guide is probably larger than most books, it takes longer to index. And if it is indexing, page turns will be slower.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #69
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Day 5 since installing 3.0.1. Was averaging a couple of crashes a day prior to this, have had none since.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #70
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
While kindle is indexing a book, you can't delete it. Since the guide is probably larger than most books, it takes longer to index. And if it is indexing, page turns will be slower.
Thanks for that tip!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #71
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
My K3 got the update pushed to it automatically a few minutes ago. I wasn’t having any problems, I hope it stays that way.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #72
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am wondering if Amazon has signed off on the update and is now pushing it out. That is what it sounds like.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #73
Mirtika
Mirtika began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I am wondering if Amazon has signed off on the update and is now pushing it out. That is what it sounds like.
Forgive my techie ignorance...but does this mean we all are going to be given an update automatically, just sent from them to our Kindles?

(Sorry if that was a boneheaded seeming question)
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #74
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
If they really did push it to Jmiked which I believe and your kindle has its 3g or wifi on and connected then the update will be pushed but there is no known when it will happen.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #75
haroldgh
Enthusiast
haroldgh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Yeah, they probably do a phased rollout. Push a couple thousand at first, wait a day or two to see if it causes any problems, then push the update widescale.
haroldgh is offline   Reply With Quote