Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
-read-
-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Stanza on ipod touch
Post Greetings and Idea

Hi everyone. I have been reading MobileRead for about a year now while watching the industry develop. It is finally getting particularly exciting with a variety of large screened E-ink displays coming out. In terms of hardware: we can expect innovation and for prices to drop... For books - more and with lower prices.

I am working on a piece I intend to publish via Amazon, about the political economy of hummus.

I have two concepts to share.

1) There are dual screen e-readers to help acquire and organize content to view on the e-ink display. I would like to see a program on a smart phone or ipod which would control the e-reader, much like the Nook or Entourage Edge.

2) How about an E-reader directly for the academic world? The entourage edge is close. We need a large E-ink display, which is capable of viewing in portrait and landscape (the entourage edge E-ink display does not rotate), the ability to annotate with running list/export of citation material, and excellent organizational capacity (unfortunately lacking in most current gen devices).

-read- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi -read-, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by -read- View Post
I am working on a piece I intend to publish via Amazon, about the political economy of hummus.
What is "hummus"? I'm afraid I've never heard of it, except as a culinary dish.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hi Read, and welcome.

I regularly make hummus at home. I had no idea it had economic or political implications. I guess I'll have to buy your book before I do my next batch.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Read and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi and welcome to MR. I didn't know there is an economic or political implications for hummus - but that doesn't mean much. Would be interesting to read something about it. Are you planning on including receipes?

Although I have a reader and am active here on MR I am still somewhat a noob in regards to readers that are on the market. I do believe though that 2010 is the year where we see plenty of new readers flooding the market. Best to watch out for any announcements on the CeBit this year.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
-read-
-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.-read- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the greetings! Its so cool to get the replies.

As for the hummus - I think I will include a recipe - and there quite a few interesting political and economic considerations!

Quote:
What is "hummus"? I'm afraid I've never heard of it, except as a culinary dish.
I am referring to the food. Hummus, which is pronounced (hum - us) in the States and (hume-oos) in Israel/Palestine.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Hummus is a staple food in the mid-east, so like bread, the economic impact of production, distribution, marketing, etc is fairly huge.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Welcome to MobileRead, and I've got to ask.

Exactly how does hummus relate to political economy?

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
-read-

Well DesertGrandma, here are some facts and questions I hope you find intriguing...

...did you know that sales of hummus in deli sections in America in 2009 were $230 million and expected to grow?

...that a Lebanese dip manufacturer is attempting to sue for Designation of Origin rights for hummus in the European Union, and blames Israel for appropriating what they call a 'Lebanese national food' and selling it for big bucks abroad? Can a country gain copyrights to the name of a dish? In Europe they can.

...have you considered that nations need a national food?

...that the enjoyment of hummus (as the main dish) in Arab-owned restaurants is one of the things which bring Muslim and Jewish Israelis together in the enjoyment of this simple food?
Old 01-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Well DesertGrandma, here are some facts and questions I hope you find intriguing...

...did you know that sales of hummus in deli sections in America in 2009 were $230 million and expected to grow?

...that a Lebanese dip manufacturer is attempting to sue for Designation of Origin rights for hummus in the European Union, and blames Israel for appropriating what they call a 'Lebanese national food' and selling it for big bucks abroad? Can a country gain copyrights to the name of a dish? In Europe they can.

...have you considered that nations need a national food?

...that the enjoyment of hummus (as the main dish) in Arab-owned restaurants is one of the things which bring Muslim and Jewish Israelis together in the enjoyment of this simple food?
Thanks for the explanation. I had a huge reply ready..........but deleted it because its just getting into a political discussion which I hav no intention of starting.

Best of luck with your book..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
-read-

Thanks for avoiding the political discussion in my intro thread
What I love about the hummus topic is that it allows me to talk about politics in a new way though...

I am trying not to take a side but to merely present my findings. I am empathetic to all sides. Even the multinational corporations!

Please help me design the ideal Academic E-Reader Solution
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewf...Z1I0NXdLdVE6MA