Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Black Pandigital Novel 9" - Any Good?

Does anyone know if the 9" Pandigital Novel offered at Costco in Canada is any good? I read that the White 7" was better than the black 7" because of firmware, but I haven't seen anything here about the 9". My mother is very impressed by the size of the screen, and the $197 Cdn price tag, and has asked me if it would do the job for her.

My mother is looking for an eBook Reader for the PDFs she gets for free from one of her organizations. So we would have to be able to load an additional reading program or have an easy way to side-load non-drm PDFs into the existing Kobo reader. She isn't very computer savy so any additions would have to be fairly simple and easy to explain over the phone.

Thanks.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
I had it for 1.5 months. Lot's of info from and other here

Video #1 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEdls5CViXo&

Video #2 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY9rHhlbG5o&
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
jschall
Avid Reader
jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Archos 5 Internet Tablet, Pandigital Novel , Acer Iconia A100
@Justy:
I bought the 7" Pandigital Novel from Costco for $150 CDN a month ago.

As far as I know, the only difference with the 9" is the 9" has hardware navigation buttons (which might be easier for your mother). But be aware the 9" is the same width as the 7", but a lot taller. The shape and the extra weight make the 9" harder to hold for long reading sessions.

Again as far as I know, the 9" has the same firmware - Android 1.5, and the same screen resolution (800X480) as the 7"

My experience (my wife's, actually) is that the reader is OK, the wifi is excellent, the web browsing is a bit slow, the resistive touchscreen is fine.

Let us know what you decide!
jschall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Thanks for the feedback! My mother is pretty impulsive. She picked it up this morning, then called to make sure it was OK. *sigh*

The box indicates that she has access to the Android Marketplace for new apps. Would this mean that she can download additional reading software? Is there one for Android that works nicely with Calibre? (Can you tell I'm new to the Android world?)
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Android Market doesn't come with this. But you can use Amazon Apps Store instead.
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
jschall
Avid Reader
jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jschall could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Archos 5 Internet Tablet, Pandigital Novel , Acer Iconia A100
@Justy:
No, you don't have access to the Android Market, and no, you can't use the Amazon Apps store (because you're Canadian, eh?).

The 9" actually has LESS resolution (800X480) than the 7" (800X600).
Kobo Reader is fine for reading epubs and pdfs.

The main limitation is the Android 1.5, which revents us from installing the more recent programs. I was able to add some games and YouTube for my wife.

The SlideMe Android Marketplace ("SAM") is included, and has access to lots of programs, not all compatible with Android 1.5.

I'm sure your mother will be pleased.
jschall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
Android Market doesn't come with this. But you can use Amazon Apps Store instead.
Yeah but the variety there is less impressive than on Android m tbh
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

Amazon App Store is a work in progress they just launched it. Most of the free app are ad free 0.00 ones. Not all. The other market clones have some limits too.

The only issue I had with this tablet was the NAND internal storage was filling up quick and gave me error messages to remove apps to free up space.

This is what e-reading is like

Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
It is hard to know what the 7 inch black is, some run the older software but there are new ones on the market that are similar if not same as the white.

The white runs android 2.1 at this time, the old blacks I think are still 1.5.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

9" - black runs Android OS 2.0
7" - white runs Android OS 2.0
7" - black runs Android OS 1.5

These are made by FoxComm most of the OS is 2.0 and won't be updated beyond becomes of the Novel software use. 7" black uses a different processor. 9" and 7" white uses SamSung 800MHz CPU.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
With the Android 1.5 firmware on a Black Canadian Pandigital Novel 7" Colour you can run the following versions of apps

FBReaderj_android1.5-1.0.10.apk supports non drm epub and fb2, it supports access of e-books directly from the SDHC card - the version for And. 1.5 can be obtained here http://www.fbreader.org/FBReaderJ/

Aldiko Ver 1.1.6 - works but I see page layout issues on my PDN. The page is wider than the screen and I have to pan the screen back and forth. Too interactive for reading.

repligo.v1.1.0.apk is a very good PDF reader that supports Text reflow. Yes it only scrolls vertically but it does allow for easy zooming and reading of PDF's.

RealCalc_1.4.3.apk is a working Scientific Calculator.

Newspapers_3.0.12.apk is a dedicated app for access to American, Canadian and UK newspapers - requires wifi access.

Reuters_News_1.0.3.apk is a dedicated news app - requires wifi

YouTube-v13.apk - is a dedicated app that gives you access to youtube and runs most of the video's. It requires wifi

Wapedia_1.8.2.apk - is a dedicated Wikipedia app that requires wifi to use it.

Urban_Dictionary_3.4.apk - provides definitions of Modern terms and slang words - requires wifi

iReader_v1.0.5.apk - good txt reader supports access to internal as well as SDHC card memory.

ConvertPad_1.5.1.updated.apk - great conversion app between all kinds of various categories such as Area, Volume, Temperature, metric, etc.

coolreader_3.0.426.apk - another txt reader works relatively good but I ran across a few issues when trying to access various options. Still it would work ok as a basic reader.

That's it for now

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru

I did like the 9" I had lots of fun with it until I ran out of NAND internal storage space. Pandigital suppose to be coming out with something better for the fall that was announced last night on QVC. 9" has a matted screen. Too bad it was under powered and small storage. It need 4GB for NAND.