Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Recommended Scanners For Cut Paperbacks

I have some old paperback books I'd like to scan and turn into EPUBs. They're quite old but not rare, so I don't mind cutting them apart in order to get at the text.

Can anyone recommend a scanner that doesn't cost an outrageous amount (probably not more than $150) that's available today that I could use to scan these books in? It would be great if it had a tray feeder, which some printer/scanner/copiers seems to have. I'm not sure which brands have the best software support or reliability, so I come to you for advice.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I personally use a sheet feeder copier/scanner at work... It sends me the results as pdf in my mail.

I think that sheet feeders are not that cheap though...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Well, do you have a camera ? Because there's a website that holds many many designs for a potentially sub $20 scanner (if you have at least a 6-8 MP camera):

http://www.diybookscanner.org

Also, you could either run it through ScanTailor and produce black and white (not grayscale, grayscale takes up a lot more space), which would be the fast way, or you could run it through ABBY FineReader and proofread them, style them, etc., and go for quality instead.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
For the record, I got a Canon Pixma MX340 with a 25-sheet feeder for $69 and it worked fine.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
$69! Unbelievable. I paid $4,500 for my first colour printer and sure didn't sheet feed. My last printer (Also a Canon) was $199 and it sheet feeds, scans, faxes and prints. What will they do next?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #6
radiotales
Plugh
radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!radiotales rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Pandigital and Kindle3
I have an Epson GT-S50, duplex scanning with ADF. True, it's considerably more
money than you're looking for. As I remember it was around $300 USD.
But as it will scan a 200 page book in about ten minutes, it's worth every penny.
radiotales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scanners