Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
jj2005
jj2005 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
phantom touches

I have an unrooted NC, very often several phantom touches appear making multiple page turns, fake bookmarks, or mark text without touching the screen.
It is becoming really annoying and the only fix I know is to turn of the device...

A reboot is too time consuming any other fixes out there or does anyone else experience this issue??.

I have found that a rooted device can calibrate the touch screen, but since I have not rooted, and no intention of doing so there must be a way!!!
jj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Fingerprints are not your friend, so keep the screen clean, clean, clean. Also, an Anti-glare screen protector will help. This issue has also been reported if you're using the NC with the charger plugged in, so it may be a charger/cable issue. In that case, B&N can exchange it for you.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I've had problems with multiple letters from a single touch when my NC is plugged in. The only time I've see phantom touches, and multiple page turning (or just jumping to a completely random page) is when I get the screen outright wet. I suspect heavy fingerprints from an oily finger might do the same thing. And once it starts that, it won't work right even after I clean the screen until I turn it off and back on (but not a full reboot).
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
therealguppy
therealguppy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2005 View Post
I have an unrooted NC, very often several phantom touches appear making multiple page turns, fake bookmarks, or mark text without touching the screen.
It is becoming really annoying and the only fix I know is to turn of the device...

A reboot is too time consuming any other fixes out there or does anyone else experience this issue??.

I have found that a rooted device can calibrate the touch screen, but since I have not rooted, and no intention of doing so there must be a way!!!
I suggest you invest in the Screen protection kit from B&N, I got the Antiglare kit and this fixed the issue for me, Just make sure you clean you screen really really well before you put it on.

The Nooks screen is super Sensitive and any oil or moisture will cause this issue. Before i got the Screen Protector I had to constantly clean my screen to keep it from doing this.

PS: O yeah and using the Screen Protector makes you screen silky smooth as well. so much nicer to use.
therealguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
jj2005
jj2005 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks for your answers, just to clarify it is not happening more often when the charger or usb cable is connected, I try to keep the screen hysterically clean so maybe the antiglare protector would help..
jj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Sarahmonster
Sarahmonster began at the beginning.

Hello,

I am having this same problem. You say the problem is aggravated by having the charger plugged in while you are using it? It didn't start acting up on me until I plugged it in. Just wondering if this could be what is causing the problem

Thanks!
Sarahmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Had the same issue with mine. It would turn pages without touching it. Very annoying.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I didn't really have this problem, but I do think you should get the screen protector anyway. It makes it much easier to use the touch screen - your fingers glide MUCH more smoothly (mine used to kind of skitter along the unprotected screen), plus there is less glare.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the ghost touch occurring in the same area of the touch-screen?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
The NC shouldn't be getting phantom touches. I'd exchange it for another unit.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmonster View Post
Hello,

I am having this same problem. You say the problem is aggravated by having the charger plugged in while you are using it? It didn't start acting up on me until I plugged it in. Just wondering if this could be what is causing the problem

Thanks!
My #2 NC (replaced #1 w/faulty uUSB port which was an adventure in of itself) has this oversensitivity problem, but I've only noticed it on mine when it's attached to the charger. I'd been told before that it's likely the charger at fault and I should get it exchanged which I haven't bothered to do yet given my last "wonderful" CS experience w/B&N.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Here's B&N's official statement to this:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email.

Please do not navigate on the NOOKcolor while charging. The screen is
very sensitive while on charging mode.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
Taken from here.

If you want great customer support try Amazon instead...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
If you want great customer support try Amazon instead...
I haven't had good customer support from either.

Incidentally, quite a few smart phones have the same "phantom touches when charging" issue - including my own AT&T Captivate. I did finally find a charger that didn't cause the phantom touches, but I think it's largely a matter of luck when charger shopping.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote