Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #46
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
My point was, that the OS in modern Smartphones is more capable than most people realize. Not all of them are created equal of course, but essentially the biggest limitation on SmartPhone O.S. is the interface that is required to be useful on a 3-5" screen.

--
Bill
I will agree that the modern phone OS is very capable, and usually very fast. However, the biggest limitation is actually the fact they can so easily lock them down. They can decide what applications you can or can’t install. They can easily determine what content you can or can’t get onto the device, and they can decide how the content is delivered. There are many other examples, but my point is that these limitations are designed-in, and are completely unacceptable. A full-blown OS device works like it should. You can copy/paste content at will, to/from the device. You can install software of your choice, from anywhere you decide to get it from.
The difference is simply this: either they decide for you, or you decide for yourself. I will decide for myself...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 PM   #47
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I will agree that the modern phone OS is very capable, and usually very fast. However, the biggest limitation is actually the fact they can so easily lock them down. They can decide what applications you can or can’t install. They can easily determine what content you can or can’t get onto the device, and they can decide how the content is delivered. There are many other examples, but my point is that these limitations are designed-in, and are completely unacceptable. A full-blown OS device works like it should. You can copy/paste content at will, to/from the device. You can install software of your choice, from anywhere you decide to get it from.
The difference is simply this: either they decide for you, or you decide for yourself. I will decide for myself...
True, but don't think that Apple and Microsoft probably haven't wished they could do the same thing for their desktop O.S.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #48
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
True, but don't think that Apple and Microsoft probably haven't wished they could do the same thing for their desktop O.S.

--
Bill
I agree 100% on this one, if they thought they could get away with that they would! Making hundreds of billions of dollars just isn't enough it seems, more more more.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #49
jrchase
jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jrchase knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
I think there will be different devices, but I can see a convergence to one or two main ebook formats.
jrchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM   #50
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:

--
Bill
Actually, Apple has. Look at Adobe Flash for starters.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #51
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Actually, Apple has. Look at Adobe Flash for starters.
Since when can Flash not be used on the Mac OS for desktops?
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #52
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Since when can Flash not be used on the Mac OS for desktops?
I think he was referring to flash not being supported on iPhone and iPads.... http://www.apple.com/ca/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #53
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I think he was referring to flash not being supported on iPhone and iPads.... http://www.apple.com/ca/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
Maybe, but I was referring specifically to the established, desktop OSes.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #54
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
I do think a lot of E-ink devices will be squeezed out. How many are there currently on the market 12? 15? I very much doubt sales levels will continue for all of them. SO we may one day see a VHS/Betamax verdict to a reduced range of devices. But I don't see tablets replacing E-ink, as above.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #55
suhle
old lady
suhle began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
How to - games for ereaders?

Hi. I'm new to ereaders, and am very interested in finding the best and easiest way to add games to mine. Can you give me any hints?
suhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #56
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
Do you think converged devices like the iPad will turn dedicated eReaders into extinction?
Nope. If I had to read books on a computer, I'd never get any reading done. It has to be a dedicated device, either a p-book or an e-book reader.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #57
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
That thing for getting stones out of horses hooves? I don't have a separate one of them.
You take stones out of horses' hooves in your kitchen?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #58
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhle View Post
Hi. I'm new to ereaders, and am very interested in finding the best and easiest way to add games to mine. Can you give me any hints?
E-ink screens don't refresh fast enough for most games. You'll find some word games and such, but if you're looking on it as a mobile game platform, you'll be sorely disappointed.

There are a lot of multifunction devices around, but when it comes to dedicated ereaders, well, that's where the "dedicated" comes in.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #59
Selcien
Enthusiast
Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Selcien has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I have no doubts that there will be a day where there will be no hardware or software advantages in having a dedicated e-reader, however, a dedicated e-reader will always be cheaper, and there will always be people that find a multifunctional device to be far too distracting to get any reading done.

A cheap distraction free dedicated e-reader will always have a market.
Selcien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #60
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I don't think that any converged device will replace a dedicated e-reader for the 10% of the population who are hardcore readers. People who read *a lot* will demand the best experience.

However, as with smartphone cameras being good enough for casual photographers, casual readers will probably find converged devices good enough for the occasional read. I think that this is already the case, in fact.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that Pixel Qi screens will lead to convergence since I don't think it will be a great seller with people not really interested in e-readers. Those individuals will want whatever screen makes the best tablet.

What I think will happen is that e-reader prices will, eventually, drop to around $40 for a 6" screen, where they will essentially be a commodity.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote