Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
That thing for getting stones out of horses hooves? I don't have a separate one of them.
Hoof pick.. I do.. But then, I've got a horse...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
That thing for getting stones out of horses hooves? I don't have a separate one of them.
'Tis called a hoof pick. I don't have a horse; I'm just as big as one. I've seen them because they are also used to tighten Renaissance bodices.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 08-26-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #18
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Just because an eink reader is dedicated to reading does not mean tablets aren't taking reading seriously. There are many ways the iPad is already better than a kindle for reading...just as there are ways a kindle is better.

Eink by itself, though, is a feature that will have customers no matter what happens in tablet land.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I think yes. Once there are Windows 7 slates with Pixel QI screens, and batteries with enough capacity to last at least 10 hours, the dedicated devices are doomed. Just my 2 cents...
Forgot to add "fanless design" as a must too. The processor heat sink needs to be fanless...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #20
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yeah, this topic has been pretty much beaten to death.

Which of the following did your Swiss Army Knife replace in your kitchen: corkscrew, steak knife, butter knife, bread knife, paring knife, peeler, can opener, bottle opener, scissors?
But if you needed to carry all of those tools, I bet there would only be the Swiss Army Knife in your pocket. "...in your kitchen..." is your desktop at home, using your analogy...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I especially like my microwave, toaster oven, esspresso maker, can opener, food processor, blender, and bread maker in my kitchen. Thanks to my Kindle, I can carry the 2,476 page instruction manual with me.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #22
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm not buying a tablet computer until they add the hoof pick.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #23
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
pah! I don't want "good enough" in regards to my book reading. I want as good as I can afford, which right now is a dedicated e-ink reader...
I'm reminded of that old Klingon proverb; "The perfect is often the enemy of the good enough!”
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #24
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
One point I would like to make when I first invested in an eReader over an iPad is that I found the iPad to be a huge distraction. Don't be me wrong, it's a great device but with the rich media contents there is no way I can stay focus on my reading.

Obama said it better, "With iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations--none of which I know how to work--information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation,"

Seriously, what kind of kid would want to read a book when Doodle Jump is just a touch away. What kind of student would rather read on the bus then listen to Eminem on the way to school. Most people would rather spend an hour of their break go on youtube with a 10" screen rather then read a book.

The whole point of an eReader was to make my reading experience more enjoyable and convenient and in return, I would increase my read times.

Parents? What do you think? Would you get your kids an eReader or an iPad for Christmas?
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #25
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
Parents? What do you think? Would you get your kids an eReader or an iPad for Christmas?
I've been wondering about whether an ereader would be good for my 9-year-old at some point, and will see whether he takes to it when I get my K3. I've bought some books that we have on paper, which should be good for bedtimes, when I'm reading, if not otherwise.

There are some issues, however:
1. Parental controls
There are none that I can find on the Kindle, so you can't block the store. The iPod/iPad have quite good controls.
2. Content
There isn't that much available for children yet. Only 1 Mr Gum, no Captain Underpants, for example. Some are available - the Wolf Brother books are there, for example.
3. Robustness
Nintendo make pretty robust devices, and you can get good solid cases for them (we use Nerf Armour), but I'd be a bit wary of giving him a kindle without some kind of drop-proof case.

So, I don't think we're there yet with ereaders. The ipad looks fragile to me, and is very expensive. Also, I doubt that it would load Powder Game properly, so it would be a great disappointment. Lots of online games are in flash ...

All a bit sorry
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #26
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
No.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #27
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
'Tis called a hoof pick. I don't have a horse; I'm just as big as one. I've seen them because they are also used to tighten Renaissance bodices.
A true multi-purpose tool!

And to stay on topic; no, I don't think dedicated devices will be out-competed, but they may become a niche market over time when prices on tablet devices go down.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #28
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I'm waiting for my first ebook reader (K3) to be delivered. I like the idea of an iPad for various purposes, but I decided to wait for at least version 2 of the iPad because I think competition will lead to improvements.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Ask yourself this: did the smartphone kill cameras? Did it kill iPods? Did it kill gaming consoles? No? Why not if one device can do everything?
True, but more to the point, the picture from a smartphone camera is far inferior in quality to the picture from a digital camera.

A multifunction device is generally like a Swiss army knife: it can do a bit of everything, but it does nothing very well.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
All of these different ereaders remind me of the video game console flood that was part of the video game crash during the early 80s.

"At the time of the US crash, there were numerous consoles on the market, including the Atari 2600, the Atari 5200, the Bally Astrocade, the ColecoVision, the Coleco Gemini (a 2600 clone), the Emerson Arcadia 2001, the Fairchild Channel F System II, the Magnavox Odyssey2, the Mattel Intellivision (and its just-released update with several peripherals, the Intellivision II), the Sears Tele-Games systems (which included both 2600 and Intellivision clones), the TandyvisioN (an Intellivision clone for Radio Shack), and the Vectrex.

Each one of these consoles had its own library of games, and many had large third-party libraries. Likewise, many of these same companies announced yet another generation of consoles for 1984, such as the Odyssey3, and Atari 7800.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_crash
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote