Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 12-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
WarStrider
WarStrider began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket Reader Pro
Review: eBookwise EB1150

I bought 3 of these EB1150s http://www.ebookwise.com/ebookwise/ebookwise1150.htm to use as Christmas presents for my brother and nephew and one to horde for myself. Now that I received them and the extra memory I ordered from a different retailer, had a chance to play around with them and see whats good and whats bad, I can post a review of my opinion on this ebook reader.

Sizewise it is perfect. Its the size of a regular paperback book. It doesn't weigh overly much, 18 oz, and feels solid in your hand. With only two buttons for scrolling, everything else is down by the touchsensitive screen and software buttons.

Battery life maxes out at 14 hours and some odd minutes, though thats a bit misleading as the battery lasts according to how bright you power the screen. I have read for two days, 8 hours per day, with breaks of course, and still had a few hours left on the meter.

The screen is lcd graytone 320x240, which is fine for reading. It does reflect a bit so I doubt you would enjoy reading outside in the sunlight, but under a shady umbrella or tree I think it would be alright, but of course I do most of my reading indoors, where the glare problem is much less.

Now getting the books onto the ebook reader is round about. The ebook reader has a USB port that connects to your computer, but there is at present no software available to transfers documents from your computer to the ebook reader. eBookwise says they are working on getting the Gemstar ebook librarian rights so they can offer it with this ebook reader, but so far they haven't got it. There is a software package out there http://www.breeno.org/eBook/ that claims to be able to do so, but I tried it and it didn't work for me. So in order to get documents from your computer to your ebook reader you need to use an online server setup for this purpose. https://www.filamentbooks.com
Once you've created an account and registered your EB1150 you can upload books to the server and then connect to the server with your ebook reader, via a USB connection to a computer with an internet connection, and then download them into the ebook reader. Like I said its roundabout, but it works so long as that server is up and running. Hopefully eBookwise or breeno.org will come up with a working librarian program because if there is an achilles heel to this reader this is it.

On the bright side, the ebook reader comes with a SmartMedia slot, so you can add up to 128M of memory to the unit. So far I have put 73 books on it and still have 57% of my memory free. Load this baby up once a year if you are an voracious reader or once a lifetime if you are on the other end of the scale. Either way its a lot of memory. On the downside SmartMedia is an older technology and is becoming difficult to find. I found a place to buy them from for $37 Cdn each, which isn't too bad, but is surely not on the same price curve as the more popular current media types. But the reader itself is an older generation so this is no real surprise.

All in all I would give this product 4 stars out of 5. At $99 USD each they are well worth it.
WarStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:34 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks for the review. --> Beamed to the frontpage!

I do have a question. For someone (like me) who already owns a PDA and regularly uses it for reading e-books, do you think the eBookswise could still be of added value?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
The online required to load ebooks is really a downer. So if that server goes down, then no more ebooks can be uploaded to your reader. As to promise of software, it remains to be seen that it will be made available...what if not enough of these readers were sold and the com,pany goes under or scrap the product? So until the software is available, I'll pass.

Also, since you can only upload ebooks to server and redownload content from there, there's the question of copyright. You cannot theoretically upload them even if you scan them yourself from books you own.

The great thing would probably be the $99 price tag and long battery life. But most monochrome PDAs could last as long (Zire 72 anyone?) and they are as cheap too, just smaller screen.
gadgetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
WarStrider, excellent review, thanks for taking the time to post that.

Quote:
For someone (like me) who already owns a PDA and regularly uses for reading e-books, do you think the eBookswise could still be of added value?
I'm interested too in what WarStrider thinks. My opinion is that if you are happy with reading on your PDA then there is no reason to switch. If you want a bigger screen than a PDA then this is a good low priced option.

The main thing the eBookwise 1150 does is make the buying/downloading of, especially encrypted, ebooks easier for those that are not computer and PDA savvy. All the different PDA OS's, file formats and DRM schemes combined with learning about downloading then syching for the PDA was scaring off too many potential readers who only do email and light surfing on a PC.

Since I have both a PDA and the 1150 a lot is going to depend on how many titles eBookwise makes available and at what price or how many 1150 format books are eventually made available on the Fictionwise site. The title count for the 1150 needs to be improved.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:27 PM   #5
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I think the best about the eBookwise reader is its price!

For US $99, it is hard not to visit their page and order one of these gadgets. On the other hand, if you already own a PDA with a decent display (at least 320x320 resolution), I think you can also live without this reader and still enjoy reading e-books. But heh! I could be wrong, since I have never seen the eBookwise in real live action.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
WarStrider

"I do have a question. For someone (like me) who already owns a PDA and regularly uses it for reading e-books, do you think the eBookswise could still be of added value?"

I haven't read books on a PDA, up until now I have used a Rocket ebook Pro which is a generation behind the 1150. But the larger screen is a definite plus, I think the PDA screen is just too small for people with older eyes like me. :P It depends if you are happy with reading ebooks on a PDA, if so why change? But the price on this unit is a very good deal. My Rocket ebook Pro cost me about $700 Cdn when I bought it. Yeah, I know, thats super expensive, but I just loved the idea at the time so I had to do it. Now that the price is so much lower I can afford to give them away as gifts.

"Also, since you can only upload ebooks to server and redownload content from there, there's the question of copyright. You cannot theoretically upload them even if you scan them yourself from books you own."

Does copywrite prevent you from scanning and uploading or just uploading if you bought them as ebooks already? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not a lawyer. Seems to me if you already own the book you are just changing the medium whereby you view them.

Also you can load them onto the SmartMedia memory cards with a reader/writer and then stick it into your 1150, and Fictionwise which owns/runs eBookwise has been a very reputable company IMO and if they can get the librarian program from Gemstar they will. Finally the fact that there is someone else (breeno.org) working to make a usable librarian program that works with the EB1150 is encouraging and at $15 would be worth the money.

Hope I answered all your questions. If not, I will be watching this thread.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:39 PM   #7
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarStrider
eBookwise says they are working on getting the Gemstar ebook librarian rights so they can offer it with this ebook reader, but so far they haven't got it.
Bad news:

Migration Issues:

Unfortunately, many legal and contractual issues are currently blocking our ability to migrate former Gemstar devices to eBookwise. Migration of devices no longer appears feasible because of these issues. So the only device we will be supporting is the eBookwise- 1150 device.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Great review, Warstrider! I love these devices, mainly because of the support Fictionwise is giving them, and the _price_!!! It's about time dedicated ebook readers were being sold at an affordable price, and with a site like Fictionwise throwing it's weight behind it (my favourite ebook store), this will do a lot for ebooks, their public profile and acceptance.

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #9
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
I do think the 1150 is a great way to introduce somebody that does not use/want/need a PDA to the joys of ebook reading - and that is an important consideration. The price is great.

One other consideration is that it is not just about hardware alone. If you buy the reader you are pretty much tied to the eBookwise store. I take the parent, Fictionwise, at their word that they will expand the title count at the store, but that needs to happen before the 1150 becomes a "must have" reader for people who want to read current releases. It is getting there, but it needs some more work.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #10
WarStrider

Update: In my review I said the GEB Librarian program from www.breeno.org didn't work for my EB1150. This morning I went back and tried it again, paying particular attention to the manual and I can now make it work. Blame me for being obstinate and being a RTFM last kind of guy and apologies to breeno.org. I am more then happy to pay $15 for being able to bypass the online server setup and having total control on my computer.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:27 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I do think the 1150 is a great way to introduce somebody that does not use/want/need a PDA to the joys of ebook reading - and that is an important consideration. The price is great.

One other consideration is that it is not just about hardware alone. If you buy the reader you are pretty much tied to the eBookwise store. I take the parent, Fictionwise, at their word that they will expand the title count at the store, but that needs to happen before the 1150 becomes a "must have" reader for people who want to read current releases. It is getting there, but it needs some more work.
I hear there are already tools to convert plain text and html to 1150 format, so that should will allow the vast PD/free works out there at PG, Blackmask, etc to be used. Of course, the brand new ebook reader might not have the experience or expertise to know or do this, initially, but still...

Craig.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:30 PM   #12
WarStrider

" hear there are already tools to convert plain text and html to 1150 format..."

You don't need tools for that as the 1150 will accept html, txt, rtf, rb and doc files.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:00 PM   #13
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Urgh...

My point's still the same.... if you read any DRM protected ebook, you become tied to that platform. The 1150's not so different in that respect, and if ebookwise is smart, they will let others publish in the format as well. And in the meantime, you can still read the thousands of other books that are frelly available, whatever happens in the future to EBW.

Craig.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:01 PM   #14
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
I got by with 160x160 for a long while (Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, Palm IIIxe, Visor Edge) but only got really comfortable being able to read anywhere, anytime when I got a Sony Clie SJ30, with its 320x320 color screen. Even set to monochrome, it's far more readable than any of the grayscale PDAs I've used. And, by toggling the HIRes fonts on and off, I can get anything from four lines per screen (big enough to read one-handed in a swaying subway car) to, well, many lines of small text, suitable for reading myopically in the sleeping bag on long winter camping nights).

So, I'm hoping someone has used both this eBook reader and a Sony or equivalent and can compare them. Aging eyes lose contrast sensitivity, which is why the older grayscale PDAs become harder to read and the Sony holds up so well.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:41 AM   #15
ivon
ivon began at the beginning.

Device: i have just ordered an Ebookwise 1150 on ebay and awaiting delivery
Ebook selection

Dear Friends,
I am new to the forum and have joined only today. It is my curiosity about the ebooks that has pulled me to this forum. I live in New Delhi (India) and have tried unsuccessfully to obtain an ebook reader here, though a number of PDAs, mobiles and other handheld computers etc. are avaialble. This interest was aroused in this gadget as i do bible reading a lot and need to jump quickly from one chapter to another; may be some of you would admit to this problem sitting in a live bible study class or a church.
My query is which is the most practical way to read ebooks by a not so serious reader, of course the top option would be to just buy an amazon kindle or sony but then do a busy traveling executive selling industrial goods really will have time to go through the 100 or more books that it can store? I am thinking why not a good PDA phone(as it is time to upgrade my plain 3120 classic).
Can you guys help me either to suggest a smartphone with good screensize to read books or suggest if Sony or Amazon or ebookwise is a good choice.
would appreciate if you can help me out of this decision making as i wish to get my hands on one of these at soonest.
ivon is offline   Reply With Quote