Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Saw the Kobo HD in WH Smiths yesterday. I am almost converted. Will have to ebay Kobo Touch (2 units) and my aging iPad 1 to acquire this baby but it is worth every penny. iPad clarity minus backlit screen. Return your Kindle Whatever and get a Kobo Aura HD!
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I have (and use) the PaperWhite, Kobo Glo, and Kobo AuraHD - all have strengths & flaws.

The PW software is clearly superior - in speed & capability. But screen issues persist. If you use a dictionary a lot, or translation dictionaries, the PW is the clear choice.

The lighting quality on the Glo & Aura is impressively even & highly adjustable. Far better (IMHO) than the PW.

The text resolution on the Aura is the best of all eInk devices (IMHO) - crisp, clear, infinitely adjustable.

YMMV
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I have all along resisted joining the Kindle ecosystem, preferring to stay with epub. I have taken advantage of the Kindle freebies, however. I have both Aldiko and Kindle apps on my phone and tablet.
By virtue of Calibre and Apprentice Alf's blog, there is no need to be locked into any ecosystem. I've been reading on a Kindle since the KTouch was released, but I've never bought a single book at Amazon. (Except for a $0 free book, to test de-DRM'ing.)

Quote:
Even with all of my reservations about ebook formats, I will say that the Paperwhite is the best eInk reader I've ever seen. With the front light adjusted to suit the ambient conditions, I find the Paperwhite very readable, and the matt screen isn't as reflective as my phone or tablet.
True, but Amazon could take a page from Kobo's e-reader (if that's possible with an e-reader), and add some more customization options, beginning with fonts. Come on. 6 fonts? Just have a "serif" and a "sans serif" dropdown list each holding 10-12 fonts or so. This is 2013 for frack's sake.

Quote:
I still prefer epub and will purchase that format when I need to buy. I have found that dropping an epub onto the command-line tool kindlegen produces a Kindle ebook that is essentially the same format as the original epub. It is an extra step to convert, but is not too big a nuisance.
Do you not use Calibre? It converts books into AZW3 automatically when you send them to your Kindle.

Quote:
So, although I really like the Paperwhite, I will still resist going completely over to the Dark Side by not purchasing Kindle books. And I have recently learned that the latest Kindle book format is just a binary conversion of an epub. So, even though Amazon is embracing epub as a better format, they continue to make it proprietary.
I've been saying that for over three years; that epub + conversion is the way to go if you want a Kindle, because you have more stores available, so more choices, more sales, and so on. And more readers without conversion, if you ever wanted to switch.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I love my paperwhite, but even I must admit the Kobo Glow is superior in that way (I just think the kindle firmware is superior to the kobo firmware, although I couldn't tell you why, just a vague notion from reading posts here, I think.)
There are two things wrong with Kindle firmware that the Kobo does not have an issue with. That is the forced wide left/right margins and the large line height for KF8. These things can be overcome for the Kobo with CSS code. Not so with the Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is an EPUB book that is converted to AZW3 in Calibre in KF8 format?

If so, then I don't have any issues with an overly large line height, at least not when using "my" Deja Vu Serif Fat font (that has had no line height adjustment). Setting 1 is so tight that th ascenders ("d") and descenders ("p") *just* don't toch, if they happen to line up.
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is an EPUB book that is converted to AZW3 in Calibre in KF8 format?

If so, then I don't have any issues with an overly large line height, at least not when using "my" Deja Vu Serif Fat font (that has had no line height adjustment). Setting 1 is so tight that th ascenders ("d") and descenders ("p") *just* don't toch, if they happen to line up.
AZW3 is KF8.

Yes, the line height bug can only be fixed by changing font metrics. My Charis SIL Compact version does well with KF8. But using the default font on the Kindle, it's rather nasty (IMHO).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #22
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I always find it odd when people insist on practicing ecosystem monogamy. We aren't faithful to any one writer, so why would we choose to be true to corporations that will never be true to us?

Own a Kindle, Kobo and Sony, if you like. One for each generation in which that particular company happened to get it right.

Take advantage of Kobo discount codes and Amazon special sales whenever you like. Convert formats at will and enjoy your books on whichever device you favor that day.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I always find it odd when people insist on practicing ecosystem monogamy. We aren't faithful to any one writer, so why would we choose to be true to corporations that will never be true to us?

Own a Kindle, Kobo and Sony, if you like. One for each generation in which that particular company happened to get it right.

Take advantage of Kobo discount codes and Amazon special sales whenever you like. Convert formats at will and enjoy your books on whichever device you favor that day.
Oh, I can de-DRM and covert formats with the best of them. I've been e-reading since LONG before Amazon bought Mobipocket (I remember when a Palm Pilot was the hot new gadget).

My resistance to the Kindle format is simply that after all these years, we finally have an ebook format that everyone (but Amazon) supports. epub is the standard, even though we are still hampered with DRM (and most DRM on epub seems to be of the Adobe variety).

I am doing my small bit and fighting the good fight. One day, DRM on ebooks will be gone, just like it is on MP3 music files. DRM is evil and only inconveniences the average user. Yes, I can remove it and really "own" the books I purchase. The average smuck can only rent what they paid money for.

And lest you think that my little protest and that of others will have no effect, I also remember when most popular software came on floppy disks and was "protected". Enough users complained about this that now you rarely see "protected" software any more.

Now where did I leave that suit of armor and my steed?

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #24
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post

At some level, there is a loyalty to past decisions. I think people root for their choices. No one wants to admit being wrong.

At another level, I think there is a practical benefit to sticking with that which is familiar. In the case of computers -- which ereaders are -- there is the opportunity to recycle apps and documents.

It's not always the case, though. People abandon companies that treat them poorly and try to convince everyone else to do the same.

Also, understand that some people cannot be bothered to strip DRM and convert documents.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
True, but Amazon could take a page from Kobo's e-reader (if that's possible with an e-reader), and add some more customization options, beginning with fonts. Come on. 6 fonts? Just have a "serif" and a "sans serif" dropdown list each holding 10-12 fonts or so. This is 2013 for frack's sake.
Yes, and it's been doable since at least 2012, though unadvertised:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...hite-no-hacks/

No hacks, just create a folder, drop in the fonts and set a flag file.
Reboot and you're good to go.
Works with the KT and KPW.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #26
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
JGray: I can understand why the OP of a thread might think that a subsequent post is directed solely at them, but mine really wasn't. Certain posts that followed yours -- posts in which people sounded reticent to switch brands out of what seemed to be loyalty in the abstract -- warranted a response, I felt, which encouraged them to be more promiscuous.

I did, however, find it curious that you anticipated ways in which you thought I might respond (which, truthfully, I never would) and then proceeded to answer as if I had.

My point was only that anyone who joins Team [insert name of company] should realize their loyalty will not be returned. Knowing that, people should feel free to be brand-polygamous if they like or stay true to one and minimize compatibility issues if they prefer. Refraining from buying one brand or another for political reasons is certainly an option, too.

Given the absence of our old familiar fail-safes, why shouldn't we revel in our one nigh-limitless freedom, which is to pursue consumer options?

And does anyone ever admit to fighting the bad fight?

If you're missing a steed, you're welcome to try mine instead.

(Edit: And of course, my steed offer is merely playing with on steed/instead, and isn't meant to inflict any admonishments or bonus posturing in what I hope continues to be an innocent and harmless exchange.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Oh, I can de-DRM and covert formats with the best of them. I've been e-reading since LONG before Amazon bought Mobipocket (I remember when a Palm Pilot was the hot new gadget).

My resistance to the Kindle format is simply that after all these years, we finally have an ebook format that everyone (but Amazon) supports. epub is the standard, even though we are still hampered with DRM (and most DRM on epub seems to be of the Adobe variety).

I am doing my small bit and fighting the good fight. One day, DRM on ebooks will be gone, just like it is on MP3 music files. DRM is evil and only inconveniences the average user. Yes, I can remove it and really "own" the books I purchase. The average smuck can only rent what they paid money for.

And lest you think that my little protest and that of others will have no effect, I also remember when most popular software came on floppy disks and was "protected". Enough users complained about this that now you rarely see "protected" software any more.

Now where did I leave that suit of armor and my steed?

Joe

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-29-2013 at 04:04 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 AM   #27
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I happen to buy 95% of my ebooks at Amazon because it has almost everything I want at the price I want (ahem with my ahem US address ahem). Because of that, it's awfully convenient for me to use a Kindle for my reading because nearly all of my content is already on Amazon's servers and the remainder I can still load easily and sync across devices using the personal docs system.

So for the moment, that buys my loyalty to a degree. It might be different if I bought most of my material elsewhere.

The higher definition Kobo with the better lighting doesn't really get a look-in because I'm not dissatisfied with the PW in either of these areas. So for me to switch now, it would need to be that Amazon have banned me from being a customer or something similarly drastic.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 AM   #28
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yes, and it's been doable since at least 2012, though unadvertised:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...hite-no-hacks/

No hacks, just create a folder, drop in the fonts and set a flag file.
Reboot and you're good to go.
Works with the KT and KPW.
I know, and I use this myself. It's not official though. Amazon could close off this capability at any time. As my own DeJaVu Serif version is *by far* my preferred font, I wouldn't upgrade my firmware anymore. If a new reader closes this off, I may look into other brands. I don't like rooting a relatively simple, one-purpose device such as an ereader.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
I know, and I use this myself. It's not official though. Amazon could close off this capability at any time. As my own DeJaVu Serif version is *by far* my preferred font, I wouldn't upgrade my firmware anymore. If a new reader closes this off, I may look into other brands. I don't like rooting a relatively simple, one-purpose device such as an ereader.
It survived a generation transition (from KT to KPW) and several firmware updates so I don't think its going away soon.
I think they don't advertise it because it needs a PC and a bit of computer literacy to work (and the Kindles are generally marketted as standalone devices) and because those of us who care can find out on our own.

Not the way I would go about it but they do try to keep the baseline Kindle experience as simple as possible.
It seems to work for them.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I primarily read on an Amazon Kindle Fire HD ... using the Mantano Reader Premium app ... and purchasing the majority of my books (at least lately) from Barnes & Noble. Ecosystem my a**
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote