Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
LTE on Google Chromebook Pixel: Global availability

I've read different statements about LTE in Google Chromebook Pixel:

a.) LTE is bound to Verizon and can't be used outside of the US.
or
b.) There's no 3G module, so LTE is the only option.

The latter wouldn't be perfect, even in small Germany LTE isn't available everywhere. But, in combination with WiFi and MiFi/Surfstick, I could live with that.

But if a.) is true, it wouldn't make sense for me in Germany.

Does anyone have more details?
I've ordered a 32GB, WiFi-only, model because of that lack of information, but still could change my order...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad uses US-only LTE frequencies (hence can only be used with 3G networks here in the UK, for example). Perhaps the same is true of this device?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad uses US-only LTE frequencies (hence can only be used with 3G networks here in the UK, for example). Perhaps the same is true of this device?
Might make sense, as for now the Chromebook Pixels I've seen all are from the US. Question is, whether they already have implemented the frequencies needed for other countries.
I hate buying gadgets with options I can't use. If I can't use the LTE in Europe, I'd stick to the WiFi-only version. But so far, I'm simply not sure. Too many different statements in the reviews. Most bashing, LTE-only would be the problem, as there's no fallback to 3G. But most don't comment about LTE in detail...
Anyway: The general consensus seems to be, there's LTE only and no 3G. If only they'd give more details about the LTE.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
usual backup for 4G is 3G
everywhere

no pragmatic reason to not have

Verizon does not compete outside NA.

global model will come.

Last edited by forsooth; 05-31-2013 at 02:54 AM.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
usual backup for 4G is 3G
everywhere

no pragmatic reason to not have

Verizon does not compete outside NA.

global model will come.
Most reviews explicitly state, Chromebook Pixel doesn't have a 3G module.
It's either LTE or nothing (or WiFi of course), they state.
Reason being Google to enforce new technology.
I could live with that, as long as LTE in general would be working in Germany.
But if it's bound to a specific US provider, as one review stated...

A global model seems to come, you already find the product on the German website.
But if I look at the experience with Microsoft Surface Pro, it took 3 months.
I won't wait that long, if the US model is working in Germany.

Anyway...
I've ordered the WiFi-only model.
Should be here mid next week.
I don't have a problem with 32GB instead of 64GB.
And I don't really need LTE anyway (nice to have, though). For one, I'm not yet using LTE.
Only occasion, when LTE would come handy would be on my inner-German trips.
But then I'm normally on the train.
On the train I usually have WiFi.
When there's no WiFi, my problem is not about speed (LTE vs. 3G), but connectivity in general.
When frequently loosing reception, LTE doesn't make too much sense for me.
And on the other hand, I already have 6 SIM cards (2 contracts, 2 additional SIM cards in each) and don't want to have another one.

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-31-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Advert