Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sipix screen problems

Does anyone have an e-reader with a Sipix screen? I want to know what you think.

I just got the new Pandigital Novel. Do you recall that old complaint about the Kindle (dark gray text on a light gray background)? That's what my Sipix screen looks like.

Does anyone else see this on their screen?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS-350
Yes.
In the german e-reader forum there is written a lot about the "Oyo" by "Medion", which also has a Sipix-screen.
Most of the writers are dissapointed about the screen. It seems to look significantly more misty than the first Vizplex-e-ink Screens.
Romiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romiman View Post
Yes.
In the german e-reader forum there is written a lot about the "Oyo" by "Medion", which also has a Sipix-screen.
Most of the writers are dissapointed about the screen. It seems to look significantly more misty than the first Vizplex-e-ink Screens.
Thanks. I forgot to check the German forum.

I think the screen is actually worse than the one on my original Kindle.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Romiman
Connoisseur
Romiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipseRomiman can illuminate an eclipse

Yes it is.
I has the poorest contrasts of all.
The reader, sold in germany ("Medion Oyo") has also a problem with very very slowly reactions after pressing the buttons, and the touchscreen only works sometimes.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Thanks. I forgot to check the German forum.

I think the screen is actually worse than the one on my original Kindle.
YIKES!! I really had probs using my K1 in anything other than perfect light so wow, that is saying something to me if the SiPix panel is worse than that early generation E-Ink panel.

Maybe this shows it is not all that easy to design and build the various e-paper panels.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
YIKES!! I really had probs using my K1 in anything other than perfect light so wow, that is saying something to me if the SiPix panel is worse than that early generation E-Ink panel.

Maybe this shows it is not all that easy to design and build the various e-paper panels.
Here's a pretty good side by side shot:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/wp...sipix-lead.jpg
Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

wow...it's hard to make the K1 era panels look really good but Pandigital sure as heck did. Not only if the background darker the font also looks to be a lighter weight. I would call it a not-ready-for-prime-time panel for sure.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
wow...it's hard to make the K1 era panels look really good but Pandigital sure as heck did. Not only if the background darker the font also looks to be a lighter weight. I would call it a not-ready-for-prime-time panel for sure.
It's not Pandigital's fault. Sipix should never have let the screen hit the market. It's clearly not ready.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Not the same size, so it's hard to tell.
sPix didn't sound bad when i saw them. background backer, but text blacker too.
More contrasted than vizplex. But then again, the orizon is a 6", and my eye where adapted to 5".
On the photo, the black don't seam as black as what i remember. Or maybe bookeen's touch screen do alter the screen.

From what i've seen vizplex < sPix < pearl. But you can only compare with screen of the same size,with the same font size and so on, and i didn't really took time to do that.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-01-2010 at 05:04 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Not the same size, so it's hard to tell.
sPix didn't sound bad when i saw them. More contrasted than vizplex. But then again, the orizon is a 6", and my eye where adapted to 5".

From what i've seen vizplex < sPix < pearl
How is it not the same size? They're all 6" screens.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How is it not the same size? They're all 6" screens.
The font itself. K1 on the photo have a larger font.
What i meant is that my eyes where use to smaller font size, so thiner and looking less contrasted than the size font you would set on a 6".

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-01-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
It's not Pandigital's fault. Sipix should never have let the screen hit the market. It's clearly not ready.
hahaha...oh, crud, yeah, that's what I meant!!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I take it you don't agree with the other bloggers opinion (that you link to) it may be fixable with a firmware update?

Quote:
Don’t give up hope on SiPix just yet. I think the gray text on the Novel is in part because of the firmware. Menu icons and some parts of images are really dark black. I think the darkness of the text could be improved quite a bit.

Quote:
You would have thought they would have tested the screens first before creating and shipping a device with them though.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
take it you don't agree with the other bloggers opinion (that you link to) it may be fixable with a firmware update?

Quote:
Don’t give up hope on SiPix just yet. I think the gray text on the Novel is in part because of the firmware. Menu icons and some parts of images are really dark black. I think the darkness of the text could be improved quite a bit
sPix on the orizon did indeed seam blacker. So maybe.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #15
Romiman
Connoisseur

Interesting detail of the Oyo:
While turning the page, the fonts are shining more black for about some milliseconds. After that, they are shown in middle dark grey.

So they "only" have to set the fonts that dark permanently,
and they should make a black housing around.
So the display will be usable.