Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-11-2024, 11:10 AM   #1
CJ Standal
CJ Standal began at the beginning.

Device: None
Post Request for help w/errors from converting kpf to epub

Hi,
I used Calibre to convert my kpf file of a graphic novel/comic to an epub file (I used the KFX Input plug in to do this).
When I upload it to IngramSpark for distribution, I get these following errors that prevent me from finalizing the upload:

(RSC-007): /nav.xhtml: Referenced resource "../stylesheet.css" could not be found in the EPUB.
(RSC-007): /nav.xhtml: Referenced resource "../page_styles.css" could not be found in the EPUB.
(RSC-007): /nav.xhtml: Referenced resource "OEBPS/part0000.xhtml" could not be found in the EPUB.
(RSC-007): /nav.xhtml: Referenced resource "part0000.xhtml" could not be found in the EPUB.
(RSC-007): /toc.ncx: Referenced resource "OEBPS/part0000.xhtml" could not be found in the EPUB.

How can I fix these errors?

If it helps, this link takes you to my epub file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pEA...ew?usp=sharing
CJ Standal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 01:50 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
That is a fixed-layout comic. The KFX Input plugin can convert those to EPUB however the resulting file will contain Amazon's proprietary HTML markup for comics. As far as I am aware that formatting is not supported by any other e-book vendor.

In addition the EPUB show signs have being manipulated by calibre's conversion software. Calibre does not support conversion of fixed-layout e-books and problems resulting from that conversion caused some of the errors you are seeing. To avoid conversion by calibre you either need to use the CLI interface or the "From KFX" toolbar action of KFX Input to convert KPF to EPUB.

I am unfamiliar with with IngramSpark's requirements for formatting a comic for publication as an e-book. You might be better off going back to your original set of images and using some other software to produce the proper format from them.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 02:32 PM   #3
CJ Standal

OK, thanks!

When you say, "To avoid conversion by calibre you either need to use the CLI interface or the "From KFX" toolbar action of KFX Input to convert KPF to EPUB", but you also say, "That is a fixed-layout comic. The KFX Input plugin can convert those to EPUB however the resulting file will contain Amazon's proprietary HTML markup for comics."

Does that mean that, even though I can do the first thing to avoid conversion by calibre, it's not worth it because it will still have amazon's proprietary HTML markup?

For some context, IngramSpark really only accepts fixed-layout epubs for comics (they accept other formats like the reflowable one for non-comic epubs). Somewhat frustrating is that only two of their sellers accept fixed-layout (Apple and Kobo) and the rest don't, so their reach for selling ebooks of comics is limited (although something is better than nothing, I guess).
Old 03-11-2024, 02:39 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The solution is that if you can find this comic in ePub, buy that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:17 PM   #5
CJ Standal

JSWolf, maybe I didn't make it clear in my original posting, but I am the author and publisher of this comic; it is not availble as an epub anywhere yet, and only will be if I make it an epub (or, I guess, someone gets it in another form once it's released and makes it an epub themselves).

So, I am looking for help to make it an epub from kpf because it is my work and I'm trying to make it more widely available in terms of formats and sellers when it comes out July 1.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:01 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am unfamiliar with with IngramSpark's requirements for formatting a comic for publication as an e-book. You might be better off going back to your original set of images and using some other software to produce the proper format from them.
I agree.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:43 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Standal View Post
When you say, "To avoid conversion by calibre you either need to use the CLI interface or the "From KFX" toolbar action of KFX Input to convert KPF to EPUB", but you also say, "That is a fixed-layout comic. The KFX Input plugin can convert those to EPUB however the resulting file will contain Amazon's proprietary HTML markup for comics."

Does that mean that, even though I can do the first thing to avoid conversion by calibre, it's not worth it because it will still have amazon's proprietary HTML markup?
Possibly. It will certainly yield a better result. Whether that will be acceptable to IS without further modification I can’t say. They might ignore Amazon’s extra markup or the whole thing might blow up and not render properly.

You could try it and see or investigate other ways of creating fixed-layout EPUB comics. You could also raise the question of how to format that type of book for publication in the Workshop subforum here on Mobilread.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:46 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Standal View Post
JSWolf, maybe I didn't make it clear in my original posting, but I am the author and publisher of this comic; it is not availble as an epub anywhere yet, and only will be if I make it an epub (or, I guess, someone gets it in another form once it's released and makes it an epub themselves).

So, I am looking for help to make it an epub from kpf because it is my work and I'm trying to make it more widely available in terms of formats and sellers when it comes out July 1.
Is this just a bunch of hi-res images where it's 1 image per page? If so, you can make an ePub pretty easy using calibre's editor or Sigil.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:54 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Formatting comics can be tricky. The HTML required is different for a fixed-layout book as opposed to a reflowable book so that the regular page margins are eliminated. There are concerns, such as panels and page spreads, that don’t apply to other types of books.

Tags
conversion, epub, errors, ingramspark, kpf