Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I don't get it either. Sure took some time to adopt to all prices displayed w/o tax. The only things for me that are displayed correctly is food (no tax on food in Ohio), gasoline (the only thing that displays w/ tax included), and online shopping (no tax for out of state sites).
Sorry, I mean on amazon.ca. I understand the reason for amazon.com - it's because of the vast array of different tax regimes that apply at state and local levels, but that's not true in Canada, is it? As I understand it, Canada simply has a single national tax level, and a tax for each province.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, I mean on amazon.ca. I understand the reason for amazon.com - it's because of the vast array of different tax regimes that apply at state and local levels, but that's not true in Canada, is it? As I understand it, Canada simply has a single national tax level, and a tax for each province.
I wasn't only talking about about Amazon. In the US (not sure about Canada) no store (physical or online) displays tax. There is no reason for amazon.com to do that either - it is smart enough to display tax at checkout if necessary, displaying it before is not any harder to do.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #33
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sort of. All provinces have to pay the federal tax - GST. Most provinces have their own tax - PST. In some provinces some items, including books, are exempt from the PST (provincial tax) but not the federal tax, GST. Some provinces have what's called the HST - Harmonized tax where the two numbers are blended into one where everything, including things that were previously PST exempt, are now charged that tax rate because of the HST and therefor no longer exempt.

Confused yet?

Join the club. So are most Canadians.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #34
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Looks like Canadians will at least get monthly deals. And there is a temporary holiday deals page with 88% off Kindle books until Dec 22.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #35
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Looks like Canadians will at least get monthly deals. And there is a temporary holiday deals page with 88% off Kindle books until Dec 22.
Yeah, that might sound good if I hadn't had access to the US store before. I agree with Victoria (post #13). What with higher prices (+ I paid no tax on Amazon.com) , less selection etc. looks like I won't be shopping Amazon.ca much.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-15-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #36
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
To further complicate this, Quebec charges no provincial tax of paper books, yet Quebec buyers of ebooks from Kobo are being taxed:

http://www.quillandquire.com/blog/in...-taxing-issue/

I'm sticking with amazon.com for now. Eventually, they'll force us to change to amazon.ca, I'm sure.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #37
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I'm sticking with amazon.com for now. Eventually, they'll force us to change to amazon.ca, I'm sure.
Probably. I won't be switching voluntarily.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #38
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Probably. I won't be switching voluntarily.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote