Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo Glo and Calibre

Windows 8, latest versions of Kobo and Calibre software:

I continue to find that after I have used Calibre, the next time I connect the Glo I get a message that errors have been detected and the disk should be scanned. I click to go ahead with the scan, and everything seems OK with no errors found.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Calibre either changes or doesn't change something on the disk which leads Windows to think there might be an error. Is this the explanation, or is something amiss?

Thanks,
Tom
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Calibre does write to the disk when syncing. After reading the database on the device, it updates a couple of files in the root directory of the device. And it might update the database on the device. Whether it does depends on some settings. If you send a book to the device, it writes a copy of the book to the device and again, might update the database.

All this should leave the device driver clean if you eject it properly. You need to make sure all calibre jobs have finished and then eject using either calibre or the safely remove device in Windows. It is working with no issues for me in Windows 7, but I haven't tried Windows 8.

If this is happening consistently with calibre, can you try closing calibre and then using Windows to eject the device? There shouldn't be a difference, but maybe something has changed in Windows 8.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You also might want to ensure the eject is not being prevented by other processes accessing the Kobo drive, such as Anti Virus programs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If this is happening consistently with calibre, can you try closing calibre and then using Windows to eject the device? There shouldn't be a difference, but maybe something has changed in Windows 8.
I've only had time to do it twice, but when I do as you suggest -- close Calibre and eject in Windows -- there is no error message when I next connect. In the past I've always ejected in Calibre.

Many thanks.
Tom
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You also might want to ensure the eject is not being prevented by other processes accessing the Kobo drive, such as Anti Virus programs.
When I did as davidfor suggested -- close Calibre and eject in Windows -- all seems OK. So maybe Calibre does write something to the disk that Windows does not like.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As PeterT said, if something else is accessing the device, then it can block the eject. I frequently get caught by his as I open database to check what is happening.

But, as long as all the jobs are complete in calibre, it should not have any open files on the device. If you try a Windows eject while calibre is running, does it refuse to eject? If so, that shows something is still open. Also, are you using the extended driver?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
As PeterT said, if something else is accessing the device, then it can block the eject. I frequently get caught by his as I open database to check what is happening.

But, as long as all the jobs are complete in calibre, it should not have any open files on the device. If you try a Windows eject while calibre is running, does it refuse to eject? If so, that shows something is still open. Also, are you using the extended driver?
First, I may have spoken too soon in suggesting the problem was fixed. As I said I connected the Glo with no error message after the last test, so ejected it and went about some other business. Then, when I connected to do what you suggested above, I got the error message suggesting a scan. I did the scan and as usual was told that everything was fine.

Then I connected and did the Windows eject with Calibre running. This time the Glo was ejected from Windows, but remained connected in Calibre. So I ejected, disconnected, reconnected, and got the error message again.

There is a security event log from around the same time which doesn't mean anything to me. I saved it and tried to attach it to this message, but was told it is an invalid file type. The extension is .evtx.

Fortunately there doesn't seem to be any real error which causes the message. But it is puzzling.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan View Post
Windows 8, latest versions of Kobo and Calibre software:

I continue to find that after I have used Calibre, the next time I connect the Glo I get a message that errors have been detected and the disk should be scanned. I click to go ahead with the scan, and everything seems OK with no errors found.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Calibre either changes or doesn't change something on the disk which leads Windows to think there might be an error. Is this the explanation, or is something amiss?

Thanks,
Tom
I had some issues similar to that, and most often when I would connect my Glo, the first transfer of a few books went ok, after that if I wanted to send a few more books to the Glo, Calibre would give an error that it can't communicate with the device. I'd have to unplug the reader manually, couldn't eject it properly, restart Calibre and then try again.

I really never thought it was a Calibre issue though, so I finally broke down and did a factory reset on the Glo. Transferred my books over again (I only keep under 200 on my readers), and I haven't had any of those problems since and I still use only Calibre to sideload all my books.

I just chalked it up to a possible corrupt database, which I've read can happen quite often. But you might give that a try and see if it doesn't solve the problem. Just be sure you have copies of your books elsewhere too, it will erase everything from the reader and you'll have to set it up again like new.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:

Further to my message a few minutes ago:

I looked around in the event log and found a reference to Calibre. It doesn't mean anything to me, but may to you. A screenshot is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (3).png
Views:	215
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	106322  
Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:

BTW what is an extended driver? I downloaded and installed Calibre without doing anything else.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There is a calibre plugin available that converts ePubs to kepubs as they are sent to the Kobo. Doing this forces the device to use a different rendering engine, that has some functional differences to the regular ADE based engine. See this thread for more info.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
tkavan
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
There is a calibre plugin available that converts ePubs to kepubs as they are sent to the Kobo. Doing this forces the device to use a different rendering engine, that has some functional differences to the regular ADE based engine. See this thread for more info.
Thanks, Peter. I'll go look for it.
Tom