Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 AM   #361
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle DXG
If you can see the contents listed, then DeviceCapabilityAdapterImpl$1.class is patched.
the other file that needed to patched is
com/amazon/kindle/kindlet/internal/portability/b/d.class
Like max99 said, some thing went wrong at this step.
TJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #362
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJW View Post
If you can see the contents listed, then DeviceCapabilityAdapterImpl$1.class is patched.
the other file that needed to patched is
com/amazon/kindle/kindlet/internal/portability/b/d.class
Like max99 said, some thing went wrong at this step.
surely this means there's a problem with the runme code somewhere?
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #363
TJW
Enthusiast
TJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipediaTJW knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
I got the active contents listed at the home screen at last. But i still get the "a problem occurred blabla" message. Will try some more.
I reflash my kindle with yifan's updater and using lauchpad to install the patch. I can not reproduce the issue.
So I guess it might because your device some how report a different device type name.

Firmware 2.5.8 recognise 5 "device type strings"
A3UN6WX5RRO2AG (turing) K2 US?
A1F83G8C2ARO7P (turing_ww) K2 worldwide?
A1PA6795UKMFR9 (nell) DX US?
A13V1IB3VIYZZH (nell_ww) DX worldwide?
A3P5ROKL5A1OLE (miranda) DXG?

3.2.1 recognise 3
A1VC38T7YXB528 (shasta) K3
A3AEGXETSR30VB (shasta_wifi) K3 wifi
A3JWKAKR8XB7XF (shasta wifi ads?)

The first step of my patch copy a file from 2.5.8. Since the contents are list in home screen, your device type string must be one of those k2 strings.

The 2nd step of the patch replacing k3 type strings with 3 of 2.5.8 strings, miranda, turing, nell_ww.
My device is miranda, the other two choices are quite arbitrary (and bad).
I guess your device somehow identifies itself as nell.

The attached runme script use nell and turing_ww instead of nell_ww and turing.
Replace deviceHack/runme by the attached file (and do not delete the .jar.orig file) and use launchpad to run the script again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip runme.zip (1.0 KB, 304 views)
Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 AM   #364
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
well i retried the script and this time it doesn't even list the active contents.

My device is absolutely kindle DXG. This might explain why it doesn't even the list contents now.

My kindle dxg has some hacks installed. This might be the reason. I have the usbnetwork,screensaver hack,launchpad and full screen picture viewer hack installed.

btw the 3 kindle 3 type strings is most possibly kindle wifi, kindle wifi + 3g (us) and kindle wifi + 3g (europe). I know the amazon.com and amazon.co.uk 3g kindles are different.

I don't want to reinstall the yifanlu's hack because i have returned to 2.5.8 once and the device began restarting during the update. It restarted about 1 hour and i could finally break the loop by entering the recovery menu.

Last edited by reprep; 09-21-2011 at 03:10 AM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #365
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

BTW i forgot to tell you that i haven't used the install option. I just used the runme. Does it differ?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #366
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
i retried the script and this time it doesn't even list the active contents.
same with me.
but the first version of the runme worked for me.
Tested on KindleNote.

Thanks TJW.

P.S.: I have only the jailbreak and the launchpad installed.

P.P.S.: I ran the runme by using the launchpad. My firmware version is 3.2.1

Last edited by eLiNK; 09-21-2011 at 10:01 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #367
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
same with me.
but the first version of the runme worked for me.
Tested on KindleNote.

Thanks TJW.

P.S.: I have only the jailbreak and the launchpad installed.

P.P.S.: I ran the new runme by using the launchpad.
can i ask, which of the three files did you use for the patch to work?

also, if you run it from launchpad, does it install or only temp patch things?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #368
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
can i ask, which of the three files did you use for the patch to work?

also, if you run it from launchpad, does it install or only temp patch things?
I meant the first corrected one
-> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=354

I used /mnt/deviceHack/runme, so no install.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #369
max99
Addict

ok i just ran it and it works great for me too, all my active content is functioning again! well done TJW

for the record i just ran the patch cold without any of the 3 reference files (jar or image files)

my question now is how can i make this patch permanent (it disappears when i restart)? i really don't want to ssh if possible. can the 'runme' be modified to do the install?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #370
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
ok i just ran it and it works great for me too, all my active content is functioning again! well done TJW

for the record i just ran the patch cold without any of the 3 reference files (jar or image files)

my question now is how can i make this patch permanent (it disappears when i restart)? i really don't want to ssh if possible. can the 'runme' be modified to do the install?
according to TJW, if you want to make the change permanent, type
/mnt/deviceHack/runme install
Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #371
max99
Addict

Quote:
according to TJW, if you want to make the change permanent, type
/mnt/deviceHack/runme install
it's cool, i just altered the 'rune' file in a text editor and changed the last if / else section to force the install.

works a treat!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #372
reprep
Addict

so why doesn't it work for me?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #373
TJW
Enthusiast

Quote:
BTW i forgot to tell you that i haven't used the install option. I just used the runme. Does it differ?
The temporary patch uses "mount -o bind" which works like a copy until you do a true reboot.
When using the install option, it does a real copy.

I knew your device is DXG, that's why I didn't think the device type was the issue until I ran out of ideas. It was unlikely, but possible that a DXG somehow identifies itself as something else.
So at this moment, I have no idea why it doesn't work.

/var/log/messages contains debug information, it should tell you why active contents refuse to run.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #374
TJW
Enthusiast

Quote:
same with me.
OK, I made a stupid typo in the last runme script.
The only thing I changed was the device type strings.
Code:
K2D1=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
#K2D2=A3UN6WX5RRO2AG
#K2D3=A13V1IB3VIYZZH
K2D3=A1F83G8C2ARO7P
K2D3=A1PA6795UKMFR9
so, I typed K2D3 twice. It should be
Code:
K2D1=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
#K2D2=A3UN6WX5RRO2AG
#K2D3=A13V1IB3VIYZZH
K2D2=A1F83G8C2ARO7P
K2D3=A1PA6795UKMFR9
Though I still think device type is unlikely the issue.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #375
max99
Addict

Quote:
so why doesn't it work for me?
no idea, i was looking at your hacks and i have the same as you except the full screen picture viewer. is it possible this hack has previously changed your portability jar file?

other than that check the echo comments in the debug file...the patch has some logging info therein.