Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
DXG Battery problem

My DXG is about one year old. Lately, the battery only lasts about 10 hours. This was pretty much a sudden thing. Perhaps I have too many books in HOME (bout 650 in apx 35 pages; there are about 1600 books total on the device). I also have been doing some minor category moving - but not much really.

I am tempted to just try to start all over and see if it helps (I just have too many books that I am really no longer interested in or can wait and load again later). Is there a way to "erase all" or reformat - or I could delete the collections one-by-one?

Thank you - any advice is appreciated!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds as though it's got stuck indexing - that will rapidly drain the battery. Check to see if anything's being indexed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Harry,
How would I check if something is indexing? It does show that it working often (when it shouldn't). And how can I stop it?

Also, is there any faster way to delete books off the device, rather than one-by-one?
I appreciate the help!
Reba
Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do a search for some non-existant string from the home screen - something like "xxxxxxx". If it comes back and says "Currently indexing <some number> items", then it's got stuck. Click on that link to see the names of the books that are being indexed.

The quickest way to delete lots of files is to connect it to your PC via the USB cable, and delete files from the drive directly.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks again - I will try the indexing test. Or perhaps just delete many of the books. I was concerned that if I delete books (the .pdf or .mobi files) that are in a category or otherwise indexed it might corrupt (or otherwise) mess up the DXG?

Is there some safe way to do this?
Many, many thanks!
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's no problem with deleting files from Windows Explorer. You won't do any harm.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
rgeorg
Guru

OK - I'll do this. And I reset the device as well by holding the power switch 20 secs until it blanked, and then starting it up again. Took a long time to re-index, but perhaps that will help. I should do some "housecleaning" on it in any case ;-)

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
rgeorg
Guru

Well, I typed "." + Enter on the HOME screen and found 96 un-indexed files! I finally deleted them all and am backing up the Kindle. I also did a restart. Then I will delete more files just to be tidy. I can already tell that the device is running faster.

I really appreciate all of the help!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My pleasure!