Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
No Side loading fonts?

So, please correct me if I am wrong, there is no way to use a side loaded font on the Nook simple touch, stock not rooted? That is a pretty big drawback.

Another question....all my books are side loaded epubs on the SD card. I love how I can put everything in folders. I don't love how folders only show up in thumbnail view, but tapping list view brings up a list of every book on the device. Am I doing something wrong, or is that how it always works?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Another question....all my books are side loaded epubs on the SD card. I love how I can put everything in folders. I don't love how folders only show up in thumbnail view, but tapping list view brings up a list of every book on the device. Am I doing something wrong, or is that how it always works?
You can't use side-loaded fonts, and you are right about the Nook file manager.

I have a 10-deep folder structure in places, and deal with the bulky thumbnails by having no more than six folders within any folder and having books only in the lowest level folders where possible. Therefore, I can see all folders on the one screen and don't need to page down. It takes a bit of organising but works fine.
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Joydeck. To me, that is the biggest drawback of the Nook Touch. Otherwise, I really like it. I'm hopeful they will produce a new e-ink device that can use side loaded fonts. I love the file system! The text layout is great, doesn't lose my formatting. Home button, page turn buttons, SD card slot, all great things. It's fast, too, even with over 2000 books on it, faster than other eink readers I have tried.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Joydeck
Joydeck began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Otherwise, I really like it. I'm hopeful they will produce a new e-ink device that can use side loaded fonts. I love the file system! The text layout is great, doesn't lose my formatting. Home button, page turn buttons, SD card slot, all great things.
Quite agree.

A few months ago, I rooted mine with NookManager and now have several Aard dictionaries via a single search box. I have Wikipedia, Wiktionary and Wordnet, instantly at my finger-tips, without WiFi! And I'm still using the stock Nook reader for the present.
Joydeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Nice....I tried to do that tonight....wrote the image to the card, powered off the Nook, inserted the card, powered on, and....nothing lol. The files appear to be on the card, but it's not rooting...Well, maybe I'll try again another time. I'd love to get Mantano on there.

Ahh, working now...

Last edited by booklover6; 08-09-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Is there any clue you can point me to as to how to install an apk file on a rooted NST? Argh. I'll keep looking. It's rooted! Yay! I don't know how to ADB.

Evidently it was my apk file, as I installed cool reader. Trying another file now.

Last edited by booklover6; 08-09-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
iamosam
Enthusiast
iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamosam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Is there any clue you can point me to as to how to install an apk file on a rooted NST? Argh. I'll keep looking. It's rooted! Yay! I don't know how to ADB.

Evidently it was my apk file, as I installed cool reader. Trying another file now.
With a rooted nook and coolreader, you can add custom fonts and use them to read the book. What is not possible (if I understand correctly) is changing the fonts of the interface.

Also, install google apps attack and that will make installing/updating apps far more easier.
iamosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Trying to find the right combo of black text on white background in cool reader proved to be impossible for me. Any tips?

Mantano is working well. My only issue with it is trying to turn the page I am constantly bringing up the menu instead. I'm trying to find a setting for that.

Anyway, all rooted, my own font and reading app, it all looks super nice! I'm glad I decided to go ahead and give it a try.

Now if my side loaded screen saver would show up....lol... found the setting for it.

So nice to finally have an eink reader with my files in folder trees!

Last edited by booklover6; 08-10-2013 at 11:19 AM.