Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #31
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
My last update on my Pandigital Novel experience:

Well, I went through 5 Pandigital Novels before I gave up. When it is hacked and is working properly, it is a nice, cheap ipad alternative.

While I realize that the firmware continues to improve and is a work in progress, the hardware design is still flawed. The biggest problem that I had was with defects in the LCD (dead pixels, dust under the screen, dark spots).

As far as reading goes, I suppose it is fine if you really need a backlight, but in my opinion the eink readers are far superior.

Maybe I'll check out that Velocity Cruz Reader...

I saw a video of that and it looks kind of interesting but the way the guy demoing was pressing the screen leads me to think it is a pressure sensitive screen and not capacitive touch. The tablet they have says multitouch but the reader does not. Pressure sensitive screen are not my favorite, but I could be wrong about it
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #32
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I saw a video of that and it looks kind of interesting but the way the guy demoing was pressing the screen leads me to think it is a pressure sensitive screen and not capacitive touch. The tablet they have says multitouch but the reader does not. Pressure sensitive screen are not my favorite, but I could be wrong about it
It is a resistive screen, not capacitive. My Asus T91mt is also resistive (but has multi touch) and it works great. While capacitive would be better (and more expensive) as long as it is responsive, I'm cool with it. I won't be typing any heavy documents on it!
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #33
Ereader Bob
Ereader Bob began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 500, 505, ASTAK EZ Reader, REB 1150, Pandigital Novel
Nothing is wrong with Novel Pandigital

Quote:
My last update on my Pandigital Novel experience:

Well, I went through 5 Pandigital Novels before I gave up. When it is hacked and is working properly, it is a nice, cheap ipad alternative.

While I realize that the firmware continues to improve and is a work in progress, the hardware design is still flawed. The biggest problem that I had was with defects in the LCD (dead pixels, dust under the screen, dark spots).

As far as reading goes, I suppose it is fine if you really need a backlight, but in my opinion the eink readers are far superior.

Maybe I'll check out that Velocity Cruz Reader...
Modifications are easy to make.
Novel as a reader is much better and much cheaper than Sony, Astak, etc.
Ereader Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #34
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
New firmware was released today for the Pandigital Novel, and it definitely improved the device. So far I noticed:

1. Improved WIFI
2. More responsive touchscreen
3. Cleaner interface and new icons (official Pandigital launcher)
4. Hacks can still be applied
Dear Noah98:

I know you posted this in July, but wanted to get an update from you. How is your Pandigital Novel now? Is this the same as the 7" white (or black) version? I just purchased the Pandigital white 7" last week, and after mucking up the first one exchanged for a new one from Kohl's. After my mail in discount it'll be $100 + tax.

The users manual says to not install the andriod program - that comes up when I plug Pandigital into computer & ADE. So I have been cancelling that as they say - is that wrong? What is your experience?

You mentioned that you updated the firmware on yours. How did it affect your barnes & noble link (if yours came with that).

Any tips you have would be great.

Bookratt
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #35
Baca25
Baca25 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
New to eReader...

Quote:
New firmware was released today for the Pandigital Novel, and it definitely improved the device. So far I noticed:

1. Improved WIFI
2. More responsive touchscreen
3. Cleaner interface and new icons (official Pandigital launcher)
4. Hacks can still be applied
I just got a Pandigital novel eReader for Christmas. I have no idea how it works. Up till now the only technology i am familar with is my cell phone and basic internet on my computer. After reading your posts i'm starting to think there is more to eReaders then just reading a book. You talk about "Hacks" and Calibre or something like that...what does that mean? How do i Hack my novel, and how do i download the new firmware that you mentioned? Also, i have not been able to download any books yet. I select a book but i dont think some of the buttons are showing on my screen like "buy" or "continue" or any options to purchase. I have not been able to view any videos like from youtube, also pictures of the book covers on the B&N website dont appear. Am i doing something wrong? Can i purchase any book from B&N if it says nookbook or does it have to specify ebook? I understand that you are not a sales person, but i dont know who else to ask and was so happy when i came across this website. If anyone has advice for me to get the most out of my Pandigital novel i would greatly appreciate it, i'm so excited to have one but totally bummed that i havent been able to enjoy it.
Baca25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #36
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
December issue of Consumer Reports (before Nook Color, and Sony's new models) -- scores based on readability, ease of navigation, flexibility, etc.).

Amazon Kindle (3G model score 72; WiFi 68)
Nook (3G score 56, WiFi 53)
enTourage eDGe – 54
Pandigital Novel – 50
BeBook Neo – 50
Spring Design Alex – 49
Aluratek Libre eBook – 46
ViewSonic VEB620 – 44
Kobo eReader – 40
Augen The Book – 40
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #37
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baca25 View Post
I just got a Pandigital novel eReader for Christmas. I have no idea how it works. Up till now the only technology i am familar with is my cell phone and basic internet on my computer. After reading your posts i'm starting to think there is more to eReaders then just reading a book. You talk about "Hacks" and Calibre or something like that...what does that mean? How do i Hack my novel, and how do i download the new firmware that you mentioned? Also, i have not been able to download any books yet. I select a book but i dont think some of the buttons are showing on my screen like "buy" or "continue" or any options to purchase. I have not been able to view any videos like from youtube, also pictures of the book covers on the B&N website dont appear. Am i doing something wrong? Can i purchase any book from B&N if it says nookbook or does it have to specify ebook? I understand that you are not a sales person, but i dont know who else to ask and was so happy when i came across this website. If anyone has advice for me to get the most out of my Pandigital novel i would greatly appreciate it, i'm so excited to have one but totally bummed that i havent been able to enjoy it.
If you want to hack your novel, there are many different options available on Slatedroid.com. You might want to read through the firmware threads and choose the one that is best for you.

The one I like best is the following:

1) Install: Beta 2.1.0 (full GE, user data wipe)

2) Create a gmail account on your computer

3) On your newly hacked PDN, click on the market and use your new gmail account.

4) Install:Supplemental layer 1.3 (non-destructive)

Follow this link for instructions on how to install the 2 firmware files, but do steps two and three on my list before you do step 4.

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=7095.0

After all of that, I would download the android sdk and use adb to do a hard button hack. This is a lot more complicated, but optional:

http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=11475.0

For reading using this firmware I would recommend Aldiko, Laputa, and the Kindle app. I couldn't get the Borders app working for some reason.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote