Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Are there any instructions for hacking the Pandigital other than at slatedroid? I just went out and got myself one, but slatedroid is down! Argh!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #17
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Here is a link to Nate's site:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/?s=pandigital+novel

He has the instructions and zip file available for download. Just scroll down the page to the article "Hacking the Novel." However, make sure that you install the USB drivers from the zip file on your computer first before you plug it in (don't let windows install them without pointing it to the ones from the zip file). Nate explains this in the instructions. Then, update the firmware before you do the hack (available on the Pandigital website). If not, you will have to redo the hack when you do update. The update is definitely worth it.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Noah98; 07-24-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Here is a link to Nate's site:

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/?s=pandigital+novel

He has the instructions and zip file available for download. Just scroll down the page to the article "Hacking the Novel." However, make sure that you install the USB drivers from the zip file on your computer first before you plug it in (don't let windows install them without pointing it to the ones from the zip file). Nate explains this in the instructions. Then, update the firmware before you do the hack (available on the Pandigital website). If not, you will have to redo the hack when you do update. The update is definitely worth it.

Hope this helps
Thanks.

It would have helped but the reader crashed and I can't figure out what to do. I just have a blank white screen. Poking something into the reset hold does nothing. Holding the on/off switch does nothing.

I had upgraded the firmware, but successfully opened a book after that.

I would say I screwed something up with the hacking, except I haven't gotten to it yet. I got as far as downloading and extracting the zip file and then CRASH.

-Marcy

Addendum: I should add that it isn't frozen as the volume up/down buttons still work. I can hear the click get louder/softer when I push them. But I just have a white screen I can't change.

Last edited by Marcy; 07-24-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #19
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Thanks.

It would have helped but the reader crashed and I can't figure out what to do. I just have a blank white screen. Poking something into the reset hold does nothing. Holding the on/off switch does nothing.

I had upgraded the firmware, but successfully opened a book after that.

I would say I screwed something up with the hacking, except I haven't gotten to it yet. I got as far as downloading and extracting the zip file and then CRASH.

-Marcy
Poke a paperclip into the reset hole, and fish around in there until you feel it press the reset button (The hole and the button are not aligned correctly). Sorry if you already tried this!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #20
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Poke a paperclip into the reset hole, and fish around in there until you feel it press the reset button (The hole and the button are not aligned correctly). Sorry if you already tried this!
Thanks again. I had already stuffed a paperclip in there, but didn't realize I'd have to fish.

Now I'm stuck because my driver is installed and I can't figure out how to uninstall it. This has been frustrating! It would be easier if slatedroid was up.

Thanks for all your help!

-Marcy
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #21
Ereader Bob
Ereader Bob began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 500, 505, ASTAK EZ Reader, REB 1150, Pandigital Novel
Got Novel from BedBath - 20% off coupon -$20 rebate

Reads pdf, epub, plays mp4 and low resolution xvid

Installed plenty of Android applications

WiFi works well

Files http://files.rwbcs.net/?path=./andro...ystem%20tools/
Applications http://download.pandaapp.com/?net=ww...43&curr_page=2
Hacks http://www.slatedroid.com
Ereader Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #22
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereader Bob View Post
Got Novel from BedBath - 20% off coupon -$20 rebate

Reads pdf, epub, plays mp4 and low resolution xvid

Installed plenty of Android applications

WiFi works well

Files http://files.rwbcs.net/?path=./andro...ystem%20tools/
Applications http://download.pandaapp.com/?net=ww...43&curr_page=2
Hacks http://www.slatedroid.com
Google Marketplace is now working! See Slatedroid for details. It took a long time today, but I finally got it going
Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #23
kimmieg
kimmieg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iTouch, Droid phone
Noah,

Can you point me to the Google Marketplace details? One of my former students is going to come by and help me hack my Novel and I'd like to add this as well. This will be my first time to attempt a hack and I need some hand-holding.

Kim
kimmieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #24
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Do any of you have a feel for how the battery life is going to be on the Pandigital Novel yet? I just got a Bed Bath and Beyond ad in the mail and it's advertised in there with this: "Lithium ion battery lasts for up to 6 hours of non-stop reading time between charges."

Is that right, or is that a typo? I wouldn't expect days, of course, but I'd want for it to make it through one day I think.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #25
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieg View Post
Noah,

Can you point me to the Google Marketplace details? One of my former students is going to come by and help me hack my Novel and I'd like to add this as well. This will be my first time to attempt a hack and I need some hand-holding.

Kim
After you hack your novel following Nate the Great's instructions (when you are doing the initial hack, you might want to install Launcherpro instead of Pandahome launcher. It is much more responsive) do the following:

1. Install the Google Experience Alpha pack

http://38.99.171.104/~slatedr1/downl...?do=file&id=53

Note: when you do this, after you extract the zip file I would personally do the following A) Remove the Launcher.apk from the gev1/system/app folder (you should already have a launcher if you followed Nate's Guide) B) While you are there, also remove remove the youtube.apk (it doesn't work. There is a working youtube.apk on Slatedroid and you can replace the old with the new one in that folder. Just name it the same as the original)

2. Install an Android emulator on your desktop/laptop

http://lifehacker.com/5587260/how-to...buying-a-phone

4. follow these directions by user "enjoys1" to enable the marketplace in the emulator, and then on your device. You should already have step one and two done. Make sure that you created an android 1.6 virtual device. Also, make sure that you sign up for a google account (gmail) and sign in on the emulator before you move on.

http://38.99.171.104/~slatedr1/showt...g-market/page4

And, that should do it! It seems like a lot, but it doesn't take very long and is well worth it!

Last edited by Noah98; 07-27-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #26
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Yikes I'll stick with my Kindle and iPad
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #27
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
Yikes I'll stick with my Kindle and iPad
I don't blame you, those are both better devices!

Actually, all of the steps that I listed above are just to enable the marketplace. You don't really need it since most of the really good apps are readily available for download. Hacking the device itself to run apps and an alternate launcher is really simple and doesn't take long at all.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #28
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieg View Post
Noah,

Kim
If you haven't hacked it yet, new firmware was just released by Pandigital (available on their website). Make sure you update before you do the hack so you don't have to do everything again! The new firmware is really solid this time.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
Ereader Bob
Ereader Bob began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 500, 505, ASTAK EZ Reader, REB 1150, Pandigital Novel
Everything works fine.

Recent improvements:
Installed Rock(Divx)Player to watch xvid.
Upgraded 1Gb MicroSD card that is inside of Novel to add more storage.

1 GB card has -
bootloader, ram, system images on it.

Slide bigger part of the back cover, pull gently
Remove the card
Copy all files from 1 Gb card to a new card:
-Format new card
-Volume name PD_NOVEL
-File system FAT32
Put in a new card
Ereader Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #30
Noah98
Eccentric

My last update on my Pandigital Novel experience:

Well, I went through 5 Pandigital Novels before I gave up. When it is hacked and is working properly, it is a nice, cheap ipad alternative.

While I realize that the firmware continues to improve and is a work in progress, the hardware design is still flawed. The biggest problem that I had was with defects in the LCD (dead pixels, dust under the screen, dark spots).

As far as reading goes, I suppose it is fine if you really need a backlight, but in my opinion the eink readers are far superior.

Maybe I'll check out that Velocity Cruz Reader...