Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
paulpod
paulpod began at the beginning.

Device: none
if you want a reader for text based PDFs...

...you want a kindle 3.

i am an undergrad studying philosophy, and have to read several papers and ebooks all in PDF format.

i know the general feeling is that a 6 inch reader is too small for pdfs, and the lack of reflow is a pain. however, if you load up a pdf and then turn the kindle to landscape, its perfectly readable. the kindle splits the page up into 3. For papers this is perfect.
i dont have much to say about technical pdfs with lots of tables, diagrams etc but im sure it would be fine.

the moral of the story is that if you have a load of text based pdfs, the kindle 3 is more than adequate.

cheers
paulpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I agree. But I wonder how does that compare to the SONYs. I had a similarly positive experience with the PRS900 and PRS950.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
paulpod

i spose the main thing would be the price. with the kindle wifi at £109, the closet to that sony wise is the 350 which comes in at about £130. the 350 has a smaller screen, no wifi, half the battery life, and half the storage. (plus i dont think it looks as good but theres not accounting for taste!)

all i would say is if you want an ereader for text base pdf, specifically academic papers, the kindle is more than adequate!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpod View Post
i spose the main thing would be the price. with the kindle wifi at £109, the closet to that sony wise is the 350 which comes in at about £130. the 350 has a smaller screen, no wifi, half the battery life, and half the storage. (plus i dont think it looks as good but theres not accounting for taste!)

all i would say is if you want an ereader for text base pdf, specifically academic papers, the kindle is more than adequate!
Even in landscape I found the resolution lacking and zooming is out of the question. I'm getting a Sony, so we will see how well reflow works in a few weeks.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
raac
Zealot
raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950
not for research papers

I have a PRS900 and I definitely wouldn't try reading research papers on it. No way. Not in any mode. It's way too slow and awkward for that. You'd want a reader like the Kindle DX or an iPad if reading research papers.

Last edited by raac; 01-03-2011 at 10:27 AM.
raac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I don't know what it is about pdf's other than they were NOT intended for electronic viewing but to be reprinted. I have a 22 inch desktop monitor for my computer and frankly, there are a number of pdf files which still present viewing font/scrolling issues. I will admit most of these are product manuals which sometimes have odd layouts rather than purely text type books.

Some pdf's have looked okay on my k3 but some just do not work well at all. In a pinch they are there but for regular perusal - forget it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
paulpod

Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
I have a PRS900 and I definitely wouldn't try reading research papers on it. No way. Not in any mode. It's way too slow and awkward for that. You'd want a reader like the Kindle DX or an iPad if reading research papers.
it must depend on the sort of paper you are reading. i am currently working on an essay and am reading all the necessary papers on the kindle with ease - landscape is great and for the one or two papers that it has been uncomfortable with, i've just converted them to mobi. the papers are purely text so that makes it easier. but in terms of speed, readability etc, the kindle is great.

further, as a dyslexic i am finding reading on the kindle much much easier. im reading faster, and more continuously.

love it!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
I think you are being a bit too harsh. For a while, I used both an iPad and a PRS900 for PDFs (stuff from JSTOR, SSRN and similar...). While the large screen of the ipad is nice, especially if you have lots of graphs and tables, I found that the PRS900 worked just fine, in landscape mode. For long papers (50+ pages of text) I always use the PRS (well, now the PRS950), as e-ink is much easier on the eyes.

The KindleDX is a better option than the PRS9x0 UNLESS you need to annotate. In which case, a touch screen is a big advantage.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
I would agree that if your goal is mainly to read PDF documents, I would get the Kindle DX...or the Ipad perhaps. I have the Nook Color which I really enjoy. It gives the ability to read colored PDF articles, but there are times I would rather have the bigger screen for PDF documents (but for books and magazines, the NC is awesome).
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
mrbonheur
mrbonheur began at the beginning.

I'm reading rather technical papers from JSTOR, Springer and more text-based pdfs and I prefer the PRS-650 to the Kindle 3 in landscape mode. Put it into landscape mode and cut margins deliver very satisfying results. I always wanted to buy a 950 device to read my PDFs (I already had the Kindle 3), but since I posess the 650 now, I will not longer go for it as I prefer smaller devices.

So, if you ask me as owner of Kindle 3 and PRS650, I think PRS650 does a pretty good job.
mrbonheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman View Post
I would agree that if your goal is mainly to read PDF documents, I would get the Kindle DX...or the Ipad perhaps. I have the Nook Color which I really enjoy. It gives the ability to read colored PDF articles, but there are times I would rather have the bigger screen for PDF documents (but for books and magazines, the NC is awesome).
I agree. I would say

Kindle DX (for big PDFs) or an ...ick...ipad

Nook color (for smaller / text pdfs)

The NC does pretty well with PDF. I haven't used it extensively, but tested it out on a few, and it works pretty well in landscape.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote