Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #31
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
I love the m edge cover for my Kindle, They are suppose to be coming out with ipad covers soon. You can get notified via email when they are ready. I plan to wait for one.
http://buymedge-px.rtrk.com/products/ipad/
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #32
sciredz
Enthusiast
sciredz began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I find the ipad is kind of heavy without a case. I've leaned it against things on the table to read but was considering getting one of these:

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1923

They cost $45 plus tax and shipping charges though and I can't find where they've been tested and reviewed. The concept is interesting and I think the design is elegant. I suppose these are the problems with being an early implementer.
I thought the ipad is as light as a paperback and one can just hold it
without leaning it to something.. so it is really heavy.. hmm... how
about when sitting at soft or chair.. maybe the position can make you
just hold it or do you still find it heavy? What's others experience on
this?
sciredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #33
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

it's 1.5 lbs for the wi-fi version.. 1.6 for the model with 3g. no worse than a thick hardback really. but a lot thinner. you'll find a way to hold it that works for you. it's not as heavy as a brick, and not as awkward to hold as a duck.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #34
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah it's not as light as say a Kindle, but I dont' find it too heavy.

The comparison to a hard back book is apt. Perfectly comfortable to read sitting down as the wait is resting in your lap (elbows on your lap etc.) or laying down with it resting on your chest etc.

But you can't really say stand and read with it in one hand on the subway etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #35
coleen
coleen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.coleen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.coleen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

There is another case worth mentioning here. It is a waterproof case for iPad sold through amazon.com. Be sure that when iPad available now there will be even more iPad cases... I'm waiting for iFanatic to come out with its set of cases or sleeves for iPad.
coleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #36
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I find the ipad is kind of heavy without a case. I've leaned it against things on the table to read but was considering getting one of these:

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1923

They cost $45 plus tax and shipping charges though and I can't find where they've been tested and reviewed. The concept is interesting and I think the design is elegant. I suppose these are the problems with being an early implementer.
Do you think the kick stand will allow for a typing position if you turn it on its back?
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #37
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciredz View Post
I wonder how many use the Ipad without any case.. or do most of you use some kind
of case??

Does the offical apple ipad case come with screen protection screen? won't it add
to the glare already present?

In the incase convertible case, I saw the screen protector is already part of the
case, can one remove it if you want to just use the bare screen? Dak2?
I thought I could use it without a case, but it just seems too breakable carrying it around naked. So I was a fool and paid $40 for a silicon thing that covers the back. Nice, except i still need to prop it up against something (I'll be returning it). The Apple and Incase Jackets are nowhere to be found in the LA area so I got a clone on ebay for cheap (they are not anymore, someone spilled the beans about availability). In the interim, I also have a neoprene sleeve that I use when tossing the iPad in my bag.
IMO, its a pita to pull the thing in and out of the sleeve (it has a top, so I have to open it) with the silicone cover. The cover makes the iPad 'stick' inside the neoprene sleeve. And If I grab it wrong, the edges of the silicone case come off. Then once I get it out, I have to find something to prop the iPad up.
So, I really find that for my use, I need a cover/case/stand combo that will also let me just hold the iPad in my hand or on my lap without a lot of maneuvering.
If the case that I bought works, I'll probably be springing for the Incase book jacket and/or an M-edge case with some color.

Last edited by jxh11215; 04-14-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typos
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #38
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

LOL. If you're looking for a stand, might consider this one..

scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #39
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
I like Scottjl's solution the best! Happily, I already have one at home.

Seriously, the Apple Store where I bought my iPad (SoHo in NYC) was all out of covers so I've been using mine without. So far it's doing fine. Personally I think the iPad is rugged enough not to need a cover, but I would like the basic $40 one since it doubles as a stand. So I'm trying to find one.

Also, for perspective I'll point out that a year ago I bought the Kindle DX cover sold by Amazon. It was $50 and had no extra functionality at all.

So from my point of view, $40 for a cover that's also a stand is a better deal.

Last edited by jharker; 04-15-2010 at 03:35 PM.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #40
Ciaran
Ciaran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have been using mine all week with no case but need to get one. Not for protection but more for being able to prop it up for sharing. Its hard to watch video or baseball and try and find things handy to keep it from sliding down.. I know some people have worked arond that with a 69 cent biz card holder but I think a case is a better option. Its good to hear some good reviews for once on the apple case.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote