Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
LucasCorso
Enthusiast
LucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litterLucasCorso doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
Inflections (Kindle dictionaries)

I'm not sure where to post this, since it's not really development for Kindle.
Anyway, I'm trying since a week or so to build a Mobi dictionary for Kindle. It's working, but not perfectly: Kindle doesn't know how to search for inflections, only the main entries. The real problem is that Mobipocket Reader finds those inflections without any issue. So I guess Kindle is more limited in this area. But how does it know to search for inflections in its included Oxford dictionary? It's something I'm missing then.
Normally an entry with inflections should be written in the html/xml file like this (writing it from memory):
Code:
<idx:orth>word
<idx:infl>
<idx:iform value="word1" />
<idx:iform value="word2" />
</idx:infl>
</idx:orth>
Writing it like this works in Mobipocket Reader but not the Kindle.
To find a word on the Kindle, I have to write the above like this:
Code:
<idx:orth>word</idx:orth>
In this case Kindle displays the short definition when I move to cursor around, but of course, no inflections.
Does anybody know how should I write it? I've tried a lot of different ways, but it didn't work out (keep in mind that the first example works perfectly in Mobipocket Reader). I would only need a "Kindle" example for a word...
Thanks for your help.
LucasCorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
I'm can't help, but if you get it working and are allowed and inclined to make it available, I'd like to check it out. I tried to make a Kindle dictionary on and off for a few weeks and finally gave up. I never could find the secret documentation that apparently is needed....
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
It works now! At least with my Kindle3. Probably a matter of Kindle software update during the last year?
This is what I use:
Code:
<idx:orth><b>word</b>
   <idx:infl inflgrp="group1">
      <idx:iform name="infl1" value="wordform1" />
      <idx:iform name="infl2" value="wordform2" />
      <idx:iform name="infl3" value="wordform3" />
It works reliably for context lookup (eg moving cursor to wordform2 will display word in the "bubble").
Not working/potential problems:
1. looking up inflections directly in the dictionary does not work
2. if an inflection exists in dictionary already then only the first definition is displayed (however, even the default Oxford dictionary suffers by this)
3. some problems may appear when replacing an existing dictionary - either by file rewrite or by file with a different name - it seems best to delete the dictionary from Kindle first and then copy the updated one (with inflections/other changes); in order to delete a primary dictionary from Kindle, one needs to change the primary dictionary to other dictionary, do any context lookup with the other dictionary and then the deletion is possible

Last edited by janvanmaar; 11-11-2010 at 07:23 AM.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
ikar
ikar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
It works now! At least with my Kindle3. Probably a matter of Kindle software update during the last year?
This is what I use:
Code:
<idx:orth><b>word</b>
   <idx:infl inflgrp="group1">
      <idx:iform name="infl1" value="wordform1" />
      <idx:iform name="infl2" value="wordform2" />
      <idx:iform name="infl3" value="wordform3" />
It works reliably for context lookup (eg moving cursor to wordform2 will display word in the "bubble").
Not working/potential problems:
1. looking up inflections directly in the dictionary does not work
2. if an inflection exists in dictionary already then only the first definition is displayed (however, even the default Oxford dictionary suffers by this)
3. some problems may appear when replacing an existing dictionary - either by file rewrite or by file with a different name - it seems best to delete the dictionary from Kindle first and then copy the updated one (with inflections/other changes); in order to delete a primary dictionary from Kindle, one needs to change the primary dictionary to other dictionary, do any context lookup with the other dictionary and then the deletion is possible
Janvanmaar thanks for your script. It is a great job! I've adapted it to my dictionaries and everything works great !

Last edited by ikar; 03-17-2011 at 08:02 AM.
ikar is offline   Reply With Quote