Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-15-2024, 06:42 AM   #1
baursak
baursak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2021) Signature Edition
custom column in Book list area - howto?

I would like to create my own custom column in Book list area
- header: 'Author sort'
- lookup name: 'author_sort'
- so that I could sort my books list in Book list area with a single click on this column header

In FAQ section is well explained how to set up such 'Last Name / comma / First Name' sequence in Tags browser area

But in this case Author(s) column in Book list area still doesn't change ('First Name / space / Last Name' as before)

What 'Lookup name' , 'Column type' and 'Default value' parameters should I apply in 'Create a custom column' interface dialog?

lookup name: 'author_sort' creates a column with empty cells
baursak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:37 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What I did was to add an custom Author Sort column and hide the Author column. This gives me what you seem to want without having to play with the author tweaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	author_sort.png
Views:	43
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	206900   Click image for larger version

Name:	author_sort_view.png
Views:	40
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	206901  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2024, 11:42 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
FWIW what DNSB did was a trick , because you cant just make Calibre Show a built in field that does not have a column (not on the list there WITHOUT the Custom-column icon)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am puzzled. Why create an "author_sort" column? Clicking on Authors sorts the library by author_sort, so adding a column for that does nothing useful.

I suppose someone might want to see the author_sort values, but for me the "Manage authors" dialog is much more efficient than seeing them on the booklist. You can change the author sort in Manage authors, something you can't do on the booklist.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:46 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I created that column years back when my spouse preferred to see authors in the LN, FN format so their library uses that custom column as a quick and dirty solution without requiring me to invest any further effort.
Advert
Old 03-15-2024, 01:00 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I created that column years back when my spouse preferred to see authors in the LN, FN format so their library uses that custom column as a quick and dirty solution without requiring me to invest any further effort.
That makes sense. It is probably the only way to satisfy two users of the same library if one wants FN LN and the other wants LN, FN.

One question would be which person gets the ability to edit the column.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:05 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use LN, FN in my Authors column, no custom column needed. The Quality Check plugin allows you to change authors to LN, FN and back again very easily.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:13 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That makes sense. It is probably the only way to satisfy two users of the same library if one wants FN LN and the other wants LN, FN.

One question would be which person gets the ability to edit the column.
Managing our calibre libraries has been on my honey-do list for a long time. Along with most ebook purchases, metadata, etc.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:10 PM   #9
baursak

Quote:
What I did was to add an custom Author Sort column and hide the Author column. This gives me what you seem to want without having to play with the author tweaks.
but that's exactlyl what I want!

will you please post the screenshot of your settings

I changed 'User author sort in Tag browser' (Preferences / Advanced / Tweaks)
- from
categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author'
- to
categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author_sort'

but as I said before
- I cannot add appropriate custom column since
- I am not clever enough to sort it out
- and there is no preformatted tool for this
Old 03-15-2024, 03:20 PM   #10
baursak

Quote:
sorry I have missed the most important screenshot with settings

and could not then edit my first reply, since local admin prohibited me to do so

now I have done all in full accordance with you settings and it works !

thanks a lot once again

God bless you 🙏
Old 03-15-2024, 03:55 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

See the images in message #2 in this thread. The first image is the settings for my Author Sort column. Once you have created it, right click on the Author(s) column and select Author Sort from Show column, then right click again on Author(s) and select Hide Column. Creating the column is done in Preferences => Add your own columns.

I apply this custom column to one library used by my spouse so they can see the LN, FN format. Whereas I prefer the FN LN format so my libraries stick with the default view.