Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #1
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Scribd free for 30 days, no credit card required

I signed up with my Google account, it's true - no payment method required. $8.99/month to sign up at end of free trial.

Link

referred from goodereader.com

Quote:
Scribd is giving away 1 month of unlimited access for free
March 18, 2020 By Michael Kozlowski 8 Comments

Reading subscription service Scribd is offering free access to its library of over one million ebooks, audiobooks, magazines and more for the next 30 days (no commitment or credit card information required). Scribd told Good e-Reader that “With the spread of COVID-19 and new regulations put into effect, we know many people are staying close to home, yet still looking for information, distractions and perhaps a mental escape. Scribd wants to support the community by giving people access to the world’s largest library during this global health crisis, and do our small part in helping consumers through times of uncertainty.”
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Gave them an email address to download an ebook and got this: [See Attachment.]

So the hell with them. (If I liked the service, then I was going to give them my credit card info for monthly charges [or yearly].)

But thank you for the info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 1.16.50 PM.png
Views:	357
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	178047  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 03:06 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

So the hell with them. (If I liked the service, then I was going to give them my credit card info for monthly charges [or yearly].)

That's the problem with "free trials" -- they almost always require a commitment (form of payment) up front leaving the burden of cancellation with the subscriber. No thanks.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry about your experience! I have only used my subscription so far to read ebooks and listen to audiobooks directly in my browser (Chrome) while online and I didn't need to provide a payment method to do that. I guess downloads are not permitted in the free trial as you could then "keep" the file after the trial ended. Never used Scribd before so can't say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Old 03-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Sorry about your experience! I have only used my subscription so far to read ebooks and listen to audiobooks directly in my browser (Chrome) while online and I didn't need to provide a payment method to do that.
You signed in using your Google account. So, does that account have a credit card attached to it?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
ngrant
Gadget Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You signed in using your Google account. So, does that account have a credit card attached to it?
Yes I do, that may be it - although anything I have done previously required an actual authorization of *one of* the credit cards attached to my Google Pay. I (naively perhaps) took this to mean what it says; namely that 30 days free THEN sign up with a designated payment method if you so decide:

Quote:
READ FREE FOR 30 DAYS
NO CREDIT CARD REQUIRED
Available anytime and on your favorite devices
Redeem Your Free 30 Days
Only $8.99/month if you decide to sign up.
Actually, I DO like the service and may go for it after my current paid out-of-state membership at the Brooklyn Library expires. I like the idea of sampling as many of the offers available as I like, and consume on-line. So many disappointments in past purchases, and I don't feel the need to "own" things as I used to when I was *younger*.

Last edited by ngrant; 03-31-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added thought of paying in future
Old 03-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
I did sign up via Google and for what it's worth, when I looked through my "Scribd" acct it said "no credit card on file".
If I had it to do over I wouldn't bother. You can use your browser (I won't) or their app. (another damn app.... I should have known). I looked to see if they had a couple or things I have on hold at the library... they didn't. Frankly, I doubt I will use it at all.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
I just signed up with my regular email address and it worked for me in that I wasn't asked for a credit card and apparently have a 30 day subscription. But I am very disappointed in that I can only read via their app. Neither of my tablets can handle that -- too old -- so that leaves the in-browser app they have for the computer. And I hate that, it looks god-awful compared to the Kindle for PC app I use for my KU books. Not every app works well for me since my eyesight is so out-of-whack. So I don't think I'll be signing up with them as a paid member after this free offer ends.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:51 AM   #9
MichaelKindle
MichaelKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.11.1.1
Are scribd books DRMed? Can you upload them to Calibre and view them in Caliabre (unlike Amazon books purchased after Jan. 2023)?
MichaelKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:02 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No-one should be removing DRM from ebooks you didn't buy. So Libraries and KU etc need their own ecosystem. Scribd is a kind of subscription library, hence their own app.

I'm in favour of DRM removal for any outright purchase.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote