Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
kittensauce
kittensauce began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle Keyboard not rebooting?

Hello! I'm fairly new to this forum, though I've been lurking for a few months.
I've recently bought a Kindle Keyboard (B008) to replace a broken Kindle 2, and it's been having a bit of trouble recently. Whenever I turn on the screensaver, the Kindle has a chance of, apparently, never turning on again.
I've tried holding the power button for 20, 30, 40 seconds, ALT-SHIFT-R, taking the battery out and putting it back in after a few minutes, and even the reset terminals inside the device. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I removed Special Offers (sorry if this isn't allowed on this forum). The orange charge light turns on, so I guess it's getting some form of power. No other lights turn on.
I have a few things installed:
The jailbreak (obviously)
The screensaver hack
USBNetwork (not enabled, as far as I can tell)
KUAL
I believe the firmware is on the latest version, but I can't be sure. I'm starting to think my only option is a serial connection, but I've learned that I'm not particularly great at soldering the hard way. Any help would be appreciated; thank you!

Also, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize. I've never made a thread here before.

Last edited by kittensauce; 10-15-2017 at 07:29 AM.
kittensauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Plug it in to a wall charger for at least 24 hours.
Preferably 48 hours.
Then unplug and try again.
Report back and let us know if that helped.

Oh and it has to be unplugged to do the reboot.

When you do get it up, remove that particular screensaver. Try a different one.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 04-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittensauce View Post
I've recently bought a Kindle Keyboard (D00901) to replace a broken Kindle 2, and it's been having a bit of trouble recently. Whenever I turn on the screensaver, the Kindle has a chance of, apparently, never turning on again.
I've tried holding the power button for 20, 30, 40 seconds, ALT-SHIFT-R, taking the battery out and putting it back in after a few minutes, and even the reset terminals inside the device. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I removed Special Offers (sorry if this isn't allowed on this forum). The orange charge light turns on, so I guess it's getting some form of power. No other lights turn on.
I have a few things installed:
The jailbreak (obviously)
The screensaver hack
USBNetwork (not enabled, as far as I can tell)
KUAL
I believe the firmware is on the latest version, but I can't be sure. I'm starting to think my only option is a serial connection, but I've learned that I'm not particularly great at soldering the hard way. Any help would be appreciated; thank you!

Also, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize. I've never made a thread here before.
As long as Amazon removed the Special Offers and you rebooted you should be fine.

Now if you attempted to do that yourself then the screensaver hack will not work.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So basically, you hacked your device (tried to steal from Amazon), broke the software and now want help for something you never should have done in the first place. Well done.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
kittensauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Plug it in to a wall charger for at least 24 hours.
Preferably 48 hours.
Then unplug and try again.
Report back and let us know if that helped.
Alright. I had it plugged in for ~10 hours when I tried to reboot it (with it unplugged), but if it takes longer, then I'll try it out.

Quote:
As long as Amazon removed the Special Offers and you rebooted you should be fine.

Now if you attempted to do that yourself then the screensaver hack will not work.
Ah... I guess there's my mistake. I removed the Special Offers myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So basically, you hacked your device (tried to steal from Amazon), broke the software and now want help for something you never should have done in the first place. Well done.
Well, do you know how to turn them back on? I'm planning on removing them officially, from Amazon, as I've now realized my mistake.

EDIT: Ah, I've found the guide I had originally followed: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=146339
Fortunately, it's reversible.

Last edited by kittensauce; 04-10-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Advert
Old 04-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

As soon as you get the Kindle back up remove the screensaver hack and hope when you attempted to remove the special offers, you didn't screw something else up.

Your best bet may be reset to factory defaults and start over.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
I don't blame OP, I've tried this before and it didn't work. Personally I think it's BS to sell devices that either have ads or force you to get ads removed by paying $$$ (and in Canada the dollar is abysmal). But Amazon has the power to pull this crap off, and nobody can stop them, what a shame..

The way I fixed it was to just factory reset the device.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #8
kittensauce

Quote:
Your best bet may be reset to factory defaults and start over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
The way I fixed it was to just factory reset the device.
Looks like I'll be doing a factory reset, then. It's not too much of a loss; I'll be honest, I spent the $15 at a thrift shop just to mess around with it :P
Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Looks like I'll be doing a factory reset, then. It's not too much of a loss; I'll be honest, I spent the $15 at a thrift shop just to mess around with it :P
Yep, do a factory reset and start over.
On the jailbreak, everything will work except the screensaver hack.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
kittensauce

Quote:
Yep, do a factory reset and start over.
On the jailbreak, everything will work except the screensaver hack.
So, I left the device charging for ~48 hours. I unplugged it, held the power switch for about 40 seconds, and... nothing. Any other ideas?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
So, I left the device charging for ~48 hours. I unplugged it, held the power switch for about 40 seconds, and... nothing. Any other ideas?
It looks like you donated $15 to your thrift store.
And you let us know that one has to go through Amazon to remove special offers.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I've recently bought a Kindle Keyboard (D00901) to replace a broken Kindle 2, and it's been having a bit of trouble recently.
- - - - - -
There is no model with a serial number that starts with: D009
("D" is used in the Fire series, not the e-ink series)

If you mean a K3, what you do on to say in additional posts describes a common failure condition for a K3.
You now have spare parts (other than the motherboard) for sale.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #13
kittensauce

Quote:
It looks like you donated $15 to your thrift store.
And you let us know that one has to go through Amazon to remove special offers.
Aw man. Looks like I'll be adding it to the pile of other stuff I bought from there that I'll probably never be able to use, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is no model with a serial number that starts with: D009
("D" is used in the Fire series, not the e-ink series)
Oh, right. I own a Kindle Fire too, so I guess I got a little confused.
EDIT [from a few months later]: Crap, I just realized I was refering to the model number on the back instead of the serial number. I guess the correct model would be "B008."

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you mean a K3, what you do on to say in additional posts describes a common failure condition for a K3.
You now have spare parts (other than the motherboard) for sale.
Hm, maybe I could buy a K3 with a broken screen... I'm sure that, with my level of technological know-how, repairing it can only go horribly. :P

Last edited by kittensauce; 10-15-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Aw man. Looks like I'll be adding it to the pile of other stuff I bought from there that I'll probably never be able to use, heh.

Oh, right. I own a Kindle Fire too, so I guess I got a little confused.

Hm, maybe I could buy a K3 with a broken screen... I'm sure that, with my level of technological know-how, repairing it can only go horribly. :P
Do you need a 1960's era automatic donut maker? Or a waffle maker? Corningware coffee pot that would take a decade to get the coffee stain out? The stain is at the 10 cup mark.
Assorted beads?
All thrift store finds. That may or may not ever get used.
Heck, my kitchen is pretty much thrift store finds, hand me downs and a few pawn shop finds (Belgian double waffle maker, kitchenaid and microwave).

My bad at the thrift stores is cookbooks.

So I understand you completely.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
A cut up credit card and a small screw driver is about all you need for the K3.
The K3 comes open fairly easily.
Ref:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3_Index#Teardowns
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle keyboard