Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
AgaveGal
AgaveGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Calibre Stopped Recognizing New Kindle File Format

About 2-3 weeks ago, Calibre stopped pulling up books when I tried to add them. It didn't recognize the new Kindle format - AZW3[1]. I downloaded the most recent version of Calibre hoping that would fix it, but I think this started happening the version of Calibre before that.

When I try to add books in Calibre, the new books aren't appearing in the Select Books menu box because the format isn't listed in the "normal" Calibre ebook .format list. If I select ALL formats, then of course the book I downloaded to my PC shows up. When I add the book to Calibre, I get a generic book cover and zero metadata (not even the author). So when I try to have Calibre download the metadata, I get junk - like the wrong book, author, cover, etc. Now, if I delete the bracket in the file extension (the "[1]) to make Calibre think it's a regular AZW3 file, then it recognizes the book from the dropdown file format and loads the correct basic metadata. But when I try to open the book in either Calibre or Kindle for PC, I get an error "The book could not be opened. Please remove the book from your device and redownload it." Having the same issue with an AZW[1] formatted book.

I am not a guru of Calbre and don't understand a lot of the posts on this forum (not a techie!), so simply worded help is appreciated. I download a bunch of free Kindle books a week, and have put all of them on my pc. I'm getting behind on my downloads and need to get back to functional. Any suggestions are appreciated! FYI...almost without exception, the books go from Amazon's cloud to my Kindle, and don't get loaded from Calibre. But I want to be able to access my library on my PC, or convert to another format if/when needed...The big thing I use Calibre for is a huge "card catalog" - what books do I have, what subject, what's the book about, have I read it, was it good, etc. It's so much easier to do all that in Calibre since Kindle still has no good library/tracking features.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-j
AgaveGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
There is no .azw3[1] format AFAIK. It is likely an anomaly introduced when a browser (or other software) sees a file of the same name already existing in the specified download directory.

The solution depends on what's causing the problem:

Confused browser? Change/upgrade browser.
Downloading more than once? Don't do that, or move/delete the original before re-downloading.
Every file sent down from the source is named the same? This can happen sometimes if the download link actually points to a program which spews forth the content (rather than provding a link to a discrete, downloadable file. Right-clicking the link would yield some generic name rather than a specific one.
Other: (waiting for onlookers to chime in)
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The issue with the downloads adding the extra [x] at the end of the file extension has come up on these boards recently, but I couldn't find it with any searches I tried. (I never have much luck getting the search to work here).

I don't have a Kindle, so I tend to scan posts about Kindles just so I can help friends who do have them....but I'm wondering....this file with the extra [x] - was it downloaded from Amazon through Kindle for PC? *If* I'm remembering correctly, one solution might be to go to your library under Amazon and download them manually from there. That might keep you from getting the extra number...or maybe it's the opposite.

I know that's not very helpful, but like I said, I remember seeing something about this, but I only read it in passing. Sorry!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
AgaveGal
AgaveGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
The issue with the downloads adding the extra [x] at the end of the file extension has come up on these boards recently, but I couldn't find it with any searches I tried. (I never have much luck getting the search to work here).

I don't have a Kindle, so I tend to scan posts about Kindles just so I can help friends who do have them....but I'm wondering....this file with the extra [x] - was it downloaded from Amazon through Kindle for PC? *If* I'm remembering correctly, one solution might be to go to your library under Amazon and download them manually from there. That might keep you from getting the extra number...or maybe it's the opposite.

I know that's not very helpful, but like I said, I remember seeing something about this, but I only read it in passing. Sorry!
All the books were downloaded directly from Amazon's Website. It's the Actions, Dowload & Transfer To My...Kindle (of choice) option. Then you get to choose where you want to save the book (on your pc). The file automatically saves with the[*] at the end of the normal Kindle file extension. New books...nothing was a duplicate.
AgaveGal is offline   Reply With Quote