Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2019, 02:33 AM   #1
MonicaOP
Connoisseur
MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Oasis
Calibre not adding the Oasis Collections and more

Hi, really sorry to bother you people, but I just got a Kindle Oasis 9th gen, after several years and three Kindle Keyboard and is giving me a headache.

Is kind of working I guess, I just loved my Kindle K so much and this one is really different and not in the best way.

Yeah is faster and all, but it doesn't let me add the kindle collections to Calibre or to get my Kindle Keyboard collections in the Oasis.

Any way you can help me with this two things?

Thank you so much. be well, Monica
MonicaOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You Oasis needs to have jailbreak for Calibre to be able to manipulate collections. Or to be more precise on newer Kindle models you need combination of LibrarianSync (imports Calibre exported JSON file) and Kindle Collections plugin for Calibre.

IIRC (haven't used Kindle Keyboard since 2011) on Kindle Keyboard collections were stored in user-accessible part of Kindle's storage (somewhere i "system" folder of Kindle drive?) and that is why jailbreak wasn't necessary in order to edit it.

Newer Kindles store that info in a database that is not "exposed" to users and Calibre.. Thus the need for jailbreak.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
MonicaOP
Connoisseur
MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MonicaOP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh... I have no idea how to jailbreak something or what it involves. I only ever used my kindle's as they were build you know!!

Is there no way to do this without damaging the kindle or something?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
If your Oasis already has firmware newer then 5.9.0.6 you can't jailbreak it (at least not without opening it and soldering wires to the board).

So you will just have to learn to live without automatic collection creation via Calibre and do it manually on Kindle or on Amazon website ... or return your Kindle Oasis and buy different device.
Those are your only choices unfortunately.

Last edited by shamanNS; 11-26-2019 at 07:20 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Doesn't it make a difference if the books are amazon purchases, or sideloaded ebooks from elsewhere?

If your books are amazon purchases, you might be able to sync collections between devices, or using Kindle for PC software. Just an idea... I might be mistaken.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:03 AM   #6
MonicaOP
Connoisseur

Thanks, I guess I'm going to do things the slow way and all, but who knows, maybe one day the Oasis will work ok with Calibre.

Be well
Old 11-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
How about using the Amazon built-in collection mechanism? It wasn't present on the Kindle-keyboard (as I recall) so for versions newer than that, I had to start all over. BUT it's been great ever since. The collections live in the cloud, and can be accessed by any (new-enough) kindle. You download whatever parts you want to have local to the kindle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201733490
You can also organize the collections from amazon.com on "your content and devices".
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
MonicaOP
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
How about using the Amazon built-in collection mechanism? It wasn't present on the Kindle-keyboard (as I recall) so for versions newer than that, I had to start all over. BUT it's been great ever since. The collections live in the cloud, and can be accessed by any (new-enough) kindle. You download whatever parts you want to have local to the kindle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201733490
You can also organize the collections from amazon.com on "your content and devices".
Thanks I'm going to check it!

I'm making collections but I had 17 collections and to add the over 3000 fanfics and books I have is going to take me a while.

I guess later the work will be worth it . Be well!! Monica
Old 11-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaOP View Post
I'm making collections but I had 17 collections and to add the over 3000 fanfics and books I have is going to take me a while.
Did the books come from amazon purchases, or from elsewhere? If the books are amazon purchases, it may be possible to manage your collections using the Kindle for PC application.

It's a shame managing large collections is so cumbersome on the Kindle Oasis. I know two ways of adding books to collections, and they are both very bad.

You can try 'adding books to collection' via the collection menu. However, there is no way to search for titles. So, you have to skim through your library one page at a time for every collection. The best you can do is sort by author or title, and use the 'go to' to locate the letter of the alphabet.

Alternatively, you can search for titles in your library, then add them to collection via the menus one by one. However, this is also extremely sluggish. While searching, there is no way to access the book's options when the title automatically appears: you have to access the 'see all search results' page and add the book from there. Furthermore, once a collection grows past roughly 150 items, my Kindle takes longer and longer to process each new addition - freezing for over twenty seconds. So, it is always preferable to use the 'add books to collection' utility, rather than adding books one at a time, and I minimise the number of books in each collection by creating more narrow categories.

Both of these processes could be improved by software changes:
- adding a 'search' function in the 'add books to collection' function.
- allow a long-press to access book options in auto-complete search.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
MonicaOP
Connoisseur

Wow, that's difficult!!

And nope, they are mostly fanfiction from Ao3. There are so many amazing writers in Fanfic and I truly enjoy them!!!

I have been sending my collections from calibre to the Oasis and making one every few days.

Only problem is that Calibre doesn't recognize the collections in the Oasis, so I can't edit them there or save them there so I can have a control over them!!

I guess I'll have to wait until there is a way to visualize them in Calibre or some other program but I have used Calibre since I discovered the joy of the Kindle, so I have no idea.

Thanks, and Be well
Old 11-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Maybe put the "collection" info into the title of the document, then? So that they alphabetize that way. Ex: MYS_Author_title
Or something that works for you.

Old school, but I also keep a TEXT FILE on my Mac, listing books I've bought and therefore need to read someday. I have paragraphs of This kind, and That kind. And a listing of all the books I've already read (date, name, author, price). I just search through that document. Occasionally, I download the document to my kindle, but mostly I search on my mac or on an iPad (DropBox copy of the file).
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:40 AM   #12
MonicaOP
Connoisseur

I have another question.

I could create 3 collections from the kindle, but only three!!! I have 6 collections in the kindle but the other 3 aren't getting into the callibre!!

Does anyone know why is this happening? Thanks, be well, Monica
Old 12-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Define "get into Calibre".

As mentioned earlier, Calibre itself can't see Kindle Collections since the early days of FW 5.X (so, a metric ton of time ago).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Define "get into Calibre".

As mentioned earlier, Calibre itself can't see Kindle Collections since the early days of FW 5.X (so, a metric ton of time ago).
those were the days, my friend...
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle keyboard, kindle oasis 2