Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Has it the same battery life when you watch video with it though?
Yes, it seems to be primarily the backlight that drains the battery. For stuff that doesn't involve screen display (eg playing music), the battery life is excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #17
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I agree with HarryT in that I want my books to look like books. I also really don't want commercials popping up as I'm reading. Additionally, I like reading on the web (still hate the pop ups -- damn Netflix). So I'd love to have an ereader that has the functionality as the SI one in this thread. If I could read books like books, webpages like webpages, interactive magazines like... well that one is new, movies like movies, music videos as videos, and also have the ability to play multi-person video games then that would be cool. I can't wait until something like this is available.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm, I don't want video for a book/magazine. I think if color has great contrast -- like eink -- and it it as responsive as displayed then it would be wonderful for magazines!

Still, I'll believe it when I see it in person being the skeptic I am.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-04-2009 at 08:31 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I for one can't wait for some of these tablets to start coming out and being able to see what they can do.

I don't care about my e-books being like books. I'm not that avid a book reader anyway, so I'd rather have a tablet that was great for magazines, could do video, internet etc, and also be used for books. It would get a lot more use than my Kindle that just gets used to read a chapter or two before sleeping.

I spend much more of my limited time on net surfing, TV, movies, sports, video games etc. than I do reading, so a multi function tablet is right up my alley. Especially if it has stylus annotation and PDA features to make it useful for my academic work as well as leisure use.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it seems to be primarily the backlight that drains the battery. For stuff that doesn't involve screen display (eg playing music), the battery life is excellent.
OLED can address the battery-life issue to a degree. If it get's up to 10-12 hours, it would be totally usable.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #21
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I want reading an eBook to be like reading a book, not like watching a TV show. This is just ghastly!
I'd expect the same to be true for people reading a magazine digitally would think the same, they'd want their reading experience to at least match what they got when reading the paper version of the mag and additions like the flipping mode help to make that happen in the demo of this device. While there are other multimedia bells and whistles that may not appeal to everyone, those do seem to be included in addition to a decent understanding of how people would want to read a digital version of their magazine.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote