Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
Well, firstly, they work there, so it is highly unlikely that they don't know what voids the warranty and what doesn't.
I think @Mrs_Often meant: "How would they know you manually updated the firmware?" And there isn't any way they could tell. And if you do a factory reset, there is no way they could know.
Quote:
Just to check, I went to www.kobo.com and scrolled down and hit "Help" and "Contact Us" and "Chat" so I asked them, and the guy said "Hold on a moment while I ask this to my supervisor," and a minute later he returned, saying "Yes, we highly recommend not manually updating our eReaders, as it may cause permanent damage and is not covered by accidental warranty."

So, if you open up an eReader and then accidentally break something, that is not covered under your warranty.

And that is the very reason why I said over and over again:

"PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!"
All true, but you actually have to work hard to do permanent damage. For most problems, a factory reset will solve things. And all the recent firmware releases have protection against installing them on the wrong device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #17
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think @Mrs_Often meant: "How would they know you manually updated the firmware?" And there isn't any way they could tell. And if you do a factory reset, there is no way they could know.

All true, but you actually have to work hard to do permanent damage. For most problems, a factory reset will solve things. And all the recent firmware releases have protection against installing them on the wrong device.
Yeah, but the first time I was trying to manually update my Mini from version 3.4.1 to 2.5.1, either the update wasn't for the Mini, or it was interrupted, the Mini got stuck at the loading screen.

Since there is no way to manually factory reset a Mini, I had to go through all the stuff to restore the correct firmware, which was a real pain in the bum.
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 01:11 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, but the first time I was trying to manually update my Mini from version 3.4.1 to 2.5.1, either the update wasn't for the Mini, or it was interrupted, the Mini got stuck at the loading screen.
Did you try to install 2.5.1 over 3.4.1? If so, that is definitely not supported. You were going backwards in firmware versions by a lot of versions. It is never completely safe to go backwards in firmware versions. One or two versions will usually work, but, there are some versions where something more intrinsic changes and you cannot go back through it without a factory reset.
Quote:
Since there is no way to manually factory reset a Mini, I had to go through all the stuff to restore the correct firmware, which was a real pain in the bum.
But, there is a way to do a manual factory reset of the Mini. It is the same as for the Aura H2O and Glo HD. And is in the Wiki at Kobo_Reset:_Mini.

All Kobo ereaders have a manual factory reset method. It either involves the second button (Touch, Glo Aura HD and Aura), tapping the corners of the screen (Mini, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Touch 2) or needs a PC connection (everything from the Aura ONE, though I don't know about the Forma).
Old 10-04-2018, 02:01 AM   #19
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Did you try to install 2.5.1 over 3.4.1? If so, that is definitely not supported. You were going backwards in firmware versions by a lot of versions. It is never completely safe to go backwards in firmware versions. One or two versions will usually work, but, there are some versions where something more intrinsic changes and you cannot go back through it without a factory reset.

But, there is a way to do a manual factory reset of the Mini. It is the same as for the Aura H2O and Glo HD. And is in the Wiki at Kobo_Reset:_Mini.

All Kobo ereaders have a manual factory reset method. It either involves the second button (Touch, Glo Aura HD and Aura), tapping the corners of the screen (Mini, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Touch 2) or needs a PC connection (everything from the Aura ONE, though I don't know about the Forma).
Interesting.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:44 AM   #20
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:

Exactly.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 AM   #21
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Exactly.
I contacted them, and said "Would manually updating / sideloading firmware void warranty?" and they said "Yes, any modification to the firmware manually would void any active warranty."

I asked them personally, of course they would know.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I contacted them, and said "Would manually updating / sideloading firmware void warranty?" and they said "Yes, any modification to the firmware manually would void any active warranty."

I asked them personally, of course they would know.
If you updated to a version that Kobo never released for the device, they could see. But, if you used a firmware version that Kobo did release for the, there is no way they could tell. And if you did a factory reset before they looked at it, there is absolutely no way they could tell.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:34 AM   #23
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
If you updated to a version that Kobo never released for the device, they could see. But, if you used a firmware version that Kobo did release for the, there is no way they could tell. And if you did a factory reset before they looked at it, there is absolutely no way they could tell.
I don't understand what you mean.

Can they monitor my device via my Kobo account?

What exactly do you mean by "They could see"?

I was texting them at Kobo Live Chat Support thing, and I used a fake name, and didn't give them my email address.

So I don't know what you mean by "They could see."

This was our conversation:

[greeting and stuff]

Me: Would manually installing firmware into a Kobo eReader void any warranty?

They help guy: Yes, it would. Kobo strongly advises not to manually install any firmware, as it can possibly damage the eReader.

And he was right! As I said before, I bricked my Mini while trying to downgrade.

If I hadn't re-imaged (I don't know if that is the right term. I took out the SD card and replaced the firmware in the .kobo directory. So, is that replacing the image?) the device, it would be completely dead and useless by now.

It would be very nice if you explained what you meant by "They can see."

Old 10-05-2018, 05:01 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Please don't type more than the occasional word in all caps. It's hard to read and netiquette regards it as shouting.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #25
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Please don't type more than the occasional word in all caps. It's hard to read and netiquette regards it as shouting.
Uh...sorry.

The caps mean "important".

I made it that way to attract attention.

I can edit it, if you want.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean.

Can they monitor my device via my Kobo account?

What exactly do you mean by "They could see"?

I was texting them at Kobo Live Chat Support thing, and I used a fake name, and didn't give them my email address.

So I don't know what you mean by "They could see."
Quote:
And he was right! As I said before, I bricked my Mini while trying to downgrade.

If I hadn't re-imaged (I don't know if that is the right term. I took out the SD card and replaced the firmware in the .kobo directory. So, is that replacing the image?) the device, it would be completely dead and useless by now.

It would be very nice if you explained what you meant by "They can see."
I replied to your post about voiding warranty. If you were making a warranty claim, Kobo will get access to the device. If they do, they can inspect it. They can start it, or pull the SD card out and look at what is on it. That means that they can see what firmware or other software is on the device. They can see if the officially released firmware was installed or if it was something else. If it is an official release, there is no way for them to see how it got there. There is no way for them to tell if was installed during a sync, by the desktop application or manually installed. And if you did a factory reset before sending the device to them, there is no way they could see what had been installed.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Uh...sorry.

The caps mean "important".

I made it that way to attract attention.

I can edit it, if you want.
Not necessary, but thank you.

Consider using the various formatting options for emphasis instead, but it's always best not to go overboard.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #28
Kiwisaurus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Not necessary, but thank you.

Consider using the various formatting options for emphasis instead, but it's always best not to go overboard.
It's alright.

Thanks.

Last edited by Kiwisaurus; 11-20-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Tags
bricked, ereader, fixed, kobo, reset