Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #31
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I like Rincewind too, but I prefer the later books.

All his books are good, but some more than others.
(Except for Raising Steam, I'm afraid...)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #32
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I haven't read that one yet. 1/40 isn't a bad average for duds though.

We'll have to see how number 41 turns out.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very true, and kudos to Pterry on his low fail rate!
Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #34
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Very true, and kudos to Pterry on his low fail rate!
Ohh. I *love* Pyramids. I think it is my most re-read one. That and Carpe Jugulum. Oh, and Small Gods, and, and...

Just love them all.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #35
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:

I actually liked Raising Steam quite a bit, have read it twice already. It's a fair bit different than many of the earlier books, but was still quite excellent.

I was really sad to hear he'd died, his humor has really helped cheer me up in a lot of the dark points of my life lately, even though I only got into Discworld seriously about 10-12 years ago. I've read all the main novels multiple times, read two of the four Science of Discworld books already (have the others, just haven't read them yet), and even read most of his other books (Nation, Dodger, and even all three books of his Nome trilogy. (Quite excellent read too!))

Just last year I reread all forty Discworld novels in chronological order. That was a real blast! I'm looking forward to the last Tiffany Aching novel he had completed before his death. He has said previously his daughter would write new Discworld novels after his death, part of me hopes that's true and that she does a good job.

Goodbye Terry, you're already missed.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #36
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Very very sad news .... his hourglass ran out early ...

I hope DEATH lives up to his imagination ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I actually liked Raising Steam quite a bit, have read it twice already. It's a fair bit different than many of the earlier books, but was still quite excellent.
It's the "different" that is the problem. Okay, it's probably a good book on its own merit. But those differences threw me completely off.

I'll tell you if I change my mind after finishing the book, but you'll have to wait a long while I fear.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:18 AM   #38
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
When I heard of Terry's death, I took it pretty hard actually and it was quite upsetting.
I've never experienced that before hearing about the death of someone I don't know and never met. I guess Terry Pratchett really did make a big impact upon me.
Which was surprising, as I haven't read one of his books for some time.
But there was a time when I read a LOT of his books and loved them.

Anyway, I'm going to go through and read all of his books from start to finish re-reading the ones I've already read from tonight for old times sake in his memory and to enjoy reading the books of his I've not read yet.

R.I.P. Terry Pratchett.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:38 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I've printed this list of "How to Read (ie what order) Terry Pratchett's Discworld Books" although I reversed the sections. I put the "publication order" section at the end, and prefer to read them by the second ordering.

http://www.poslarchive.com/math/misc/discworld.html

I've tried to read them in publication order, and I always get hung up on the early ones, which I can no longer make it through (too trite). So I was for years stuck on book 3 or so, and never made it into the really good books of the Watch series. Big Mistake!!! Now that I've started in more or less the 2nd order .... I am proselytizing Terry Pratchett books to anyone who will listen to me!
For those who have not read the Discworld books, the best way to read them (for maximum enjoyment) is to read in published order. On a reread, any order you want is OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:46 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I didn't care for Masquerade. That is a witches book that also pokes fun at opera.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:48 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Terry will be missed. He was very good at poking fun of things in a way that was very enjoyable.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #42
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those who have not read the Discworld books, the best way to read them (for maximum enjoyment) is to read in published order. On a reread, any order you want is OK.
The problem is that many people don't seem to enjoy the early books in the series and so stop reading before they get to the really good stuff.

I started with Small Gods and that was perfect for me, since it convinced me that Pratchett was a very funny author who had to be taken very seriously. So I always recommend that one or Death/Susan novels like Reaper Man or Hogfather as starting points. After that, order doesn't matter at all; each novel can stand on its own, and finding out about a character's back story in an earlier book you hadn't read before or following a character's development in chronological order can be equally delightful.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:15 AM   #43
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
very sad news, and i was actually reading dodger when i found out. when i read the news about his death, i got choked up, and when i read this

Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.

i cried. in fact, i just started crying as i re-read it.

a wonderful story teller who will be missed, but his tales enriched us all. rest in peace... unless there are wonderful adventures in the afterlife.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:34 AM   #44
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
when i read the news about his death, i got choked up, and when i read this
Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.
The End.
i cried. in fact, i just started crying as i re-read it.
You're not alone in this, That's never happened to me before.
Off and on I've been reading Pratchett since I was a teenager on the 80s, so his books and influence were ever present in my life..
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:12 AM   #45
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
Vale Terry

Thank you for many hours of reading pleasure smiles and laughter,your genius with words will be sadly missed.
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote