Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-17-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
stupdude2
stupdude2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Unbricked my Libra H2O

I flashed my Libra H2O with a different version of kobopatch than the base version that was installed. Bricked! (softbricked?)

It would turn on and show the home screen but would restart any time I touched the screen.

I was unable to connect to PC and load a new KoboRoot.tgz file to fix it since it restarted when I touched the connect button after plugging it in. I tried the reset combination--pressing power button while holding a page-turn button--but it wasn't actually turning off with the power button, just restarting, so reset didn't work.

Finally, I figured I'd let the battery drain--maybe it'll do a shutdown on low battery, then I could use the button combination to reset it. I left the Libra H2O on overnight with a weight on one of the buttons, the screen stayed on and drained the battery.

In the morning, I plugged it in and tried holding power and a page-turn button and *BAM* it went through the reset process, came back on and was responsive again! Unbricked! (un-softbricked?)

Sharing to see if anyone else has had an experience like this or saved their Libra H2O in a similar way. Thanks for reading.
stupdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:44 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupdude2 View Post
I
I was unable to connect to PC and load a new KoboRoot.tgz file to fix it since it restarted when I touched the connect button after plugging it in. I tried the reset combination--pressing power button while holding a page-turn button--but it wasn't actually turning off with the power button, just restarting, so reset didn't work.
That should have worked. The instructions on https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...Kobo-Libra-H2O has the steps. Step 1, turn the device off is important. The next steps only work when the device is actually off. The thing missing on that page is that depending on the status, the device might not turn off or show the "Powered off" screen. If there is any question about this, holding the power button down for about 20 seconds will force the device to turn off. But, it won't change the screen to the powered off screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
stupdude2
stupdude2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That should have worked. The instructions on https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...Kobo-Libra-H2O has the steps. Step 1, turn the device off is important. The next steps only work when the device is actually off. The thing missing on that page is that depending on the status, the device might not turn off or show the "Powered off" screen. If there is any question about this, holding the power button down for about 20 seconds will force the device to turn off. But, it won't change the screen to the powered off screen.
Thanks for sharing the link. Somehow I still wasn't able to get the reset to work even after holding the power button down to turn it off...
stupdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick, libra h2o, reset