Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Kindle 3 lighted cover.....issues?

Hi, I have just taken the plunge and ordered the Kindle 3 and the lighted cover....after years of being a Sony girl

Having looked further into the Kindle I have seen there was an issue with the hinge system on the previous kindles. It appears to have been resolved with the newer cover on the Kindle 2............this has plastic clips on the hinge system

I am wondering if the new Kindle 3 lighted cover will be okay or if it will cause problems as that has a metal hinge, to help conduct the current needed to power the light, I presume. Does anyone think it may cause new breaking issues if the hinge is metal going into a plastic case? I had a look on the non-lighted version but cannot see a pic of the hinge on that, so can't see if that is metal or plastic......

Just wondering if I may have made a mistake getting the lighted one, though I heard it was good from one preview, and seemed a convenient option.
I currently use a mighty bright with my sonys, but sometimes its a pain having the extra bulk, so this seemed great.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
Hi, I have just taken the plunge and ordered the Kindle 3 and the lighted cover....after years of being a Sony girl

Having looked further into the Kindle I have seen there was an issue with the hinge system on the previous kindles. It appears to have been resolved with the newer cover on the Kindle 2............this has plastic clips on the hinge system

I am wondering if the new Kindle 3 lighted cover will be okay or if it will cause problems as that has a metal hinge, to help conduct the current needed to power the light, I presume. Does anyone think it may cause new breaking issues if the hinge is metal going into a plastic case? I had a look on the non-lighted version but cannot see a pic of the hinge on that, so can't see if that is metal or plastic......

Just wondering if I may have made a mistake getting the lighted one, though I heard it was good from one preview, and seemed a convenient option.
I currently use a mighty bright with my sonys, but sometimes its a pain having the extra bulk, so this seemed great.
I can only speculate on the K3 covers, but my KDXG cover has metal clips even though it does not have a light nor the need to conduct.

The covers damaging Kindles is probably blown out of proportion. The problem is that the covers are made to open from the top side, that is when you open the cover you should see the Kindle's screen. The hinge is situated where if you try to open it from the backside you could damage the Kindle if you put too much pressure on it. A bit of common sense and watchfulness will prevent any harm. And one trick you can do that will ensure you never accidentally open the case from the backside by mistake is to use a small amount of velcro to secure the back of the Kindle to the inside of the back cover.
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

thank you, you have reassured me. I am very careful with my readers anyway, they are treated like babies so I feel okay getting this one now
Old 07-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
babyd,

In agreement with jswinden, the reports of problems were/are a result of careless or improper handling of the cover. I've had a total of three said covers (K2 and DX) and have never experieneced any problems. Simple common sense and care, as with most things, will suffice. No need for any hand-wringing.

Enjoy your new Kindle and cover
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Welcome to the Kindle dark side, babyd.

I ordered the lighted cover, too. I was concerned with the light coverage and added weight/bulk, but I'm not the least bit worried about the hinge lock.

I have Amazon's cover for my K2, and I've never had an issue with it. I think the people who had problems fall into two categories: Those who tried to force the case to open from the back, and those who used brute force to remove the Kindle from the case, instead of releasing the spring clasp.

The instructions that come with it are simple to follow. Just remember, if the case resists, you're doing it wrong.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
babyd
Addict

Skydog: thank you feel very reassured now. Im very gentle with my gadgets so I feel much happier now.

Trekchick: lol, thanks, the darkside has been calling to me for years, but now its in the UK, Im coming over!!

Yeah, Im not convinced that the light will cover the whole screen, I am betting the lower left corner will be dark, but I am getting it anyway as the convenience of the light being with me always, plus not having the bulk of a clip on light, overweighs the uneven lighting for me.

Now, how to deal with the terrible sick excitement Im feeling, this is gonna be hard.........
Old 08-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Just wondering if I may have made a mistake getting the lighted one, though I heard it was good from one preview, and seemed a convenient option. I currently use a mighty bright with my sonys, but sometimes its a pain having the extra bulk, so this seemed great.
I think you did absolutely right getting the cover with the built-in light. This cover alone makes me wonder if I should upgrade my Kindle. I use a clip on light on my current Kindle and most of the time I just forget to bring it so having it built-in to the cover is shear brilliance.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
babyd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
I think you did absolutely right getting the cover with the built-in light. This cover alone makes me wonder if I should upgrade my Kindle. I use a clip on light on my current Kindle and most of the time I just forget to bring it so having it built-in to the cover is shear brilliance.
thanks, feeling so much easier about the hinges too now

I use a clip on with my sonys and I find them a bit of a pain, which is why I went for the integrated one, even if it is not as bright. It looks to have 3 LEDs from the pics though, so it may be fine.............
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
klovaas
klovaas began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
was excited to get my kindle and cover with light and started putting kindle into cover w/o reading instructions first; unfortunately started from top rather than bottom and now bottom will not go in and I can't get the kindle out to start all over again. Don't want to strong arm. Can't be the only fool to have done this. Instructions for attaching are indeed simple and clear but not helpful when not read and cannot find any instructions for rectifying situation. Anyone with experience with this situation?
klovaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by klovaas View Post
was excited to get my kindle and cover with light and started putting kindle into cover w/o reading instructions first; unfortunately started from top rather than bottom and now bottom will not go in and I can't get the kindle out to start all over again. Don't want to strong arm. Can't be the only fool to have done this. Instructions for attaching are indeed simple and clear but not helpful when not read and cannot find any instructions for rectifying situation. Anyone with experience with this situation?
You know the top button slides, right? Can you slide it gently to remove the kindle?

Then go look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sINv...ext=1&index=16
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Yeah, Im not convinced that the light will cover the whole screen, I am betting the lower left corner will be dark, but I am getting it anyway as the convenience of the light being with me always, plus not having the bulk of a clip on light, overweighs the uneven lighting for me.

Now, how to deal with the terrible sick excitement Im feeling, this is gonna be hard.........
The light covers the entire screen, but not evenly. This, however, is no hardship, and reading quality is excellent.

And I know all about that "sick exciting feeling!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It's about twice as much as I wanted to pay, but the convenience factor is pretty huge IMO. I had a Mighty Brite for my K2 and while it worked ok, was another thing to carry around and futz with. I was concerned about uneven lighting (I still think they could improve the lens covering the LEDs to compensate) but it hasn't been an issue.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #13
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I bought the non lighted cover first, but as I am going on holiday I really wanted the lighted cover so I ordered it, and it's great, I really wish I had ordered the lighted cover first.

Yes you could damage the kindle if you tried to open it from the back, but you would need to be quite harsh with it to cause any damage before you realised what you were doing, just remember to always put the elastic over the front when you put the kindle down and you will be fine.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #14
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
More info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by klovaas View Post
Hi Klovaas. I DID read the instructions, but somehow failed to get the bottom connector truly connected.But a disconnect/reconnect was SO easy to do.
What's your problem ? The top connector is sliding - so try slide that down and gently disconnect the top connector. What about the bottom connector ? Did you strong arm in your eager to get going ?
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 AM   #15
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
It is harder to make a mistake and open the K3 lighted cover from the wrong side - it looks different to the front of the cover because there is no groove for the elastic and also there is a corner covered in black plastic with a light symbol on it.

I think you would have to be very unobservant to not realise that you are opening it the wrong way round.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote