Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
hussi
hussi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Sending email with more than 1 book mixes titles

Hallo everybody,
i'm new here ... I searched the forum but didn't find anyone with my problem.
So here it is:
My mum and my sister often receive ebooks (epub) from me. But - everytime when i select more than one book to send (send to reader - email to...) the books and titles are mixed. The mail title and the name of the attach is equal but when they open the book by doubleclicking it is one of the other sended books. Because both of them only copy the books in their reader they are confused when they found another book in their reader than they selected.
When they import the received books in Calibre everything is ok and they can copy the books they want.
Does anyone know how to change this behavior? Or is it a bug?

Regards, Hussi
hussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that clicking on the attachment in the email opens the wrong book, but importing the attachment into calibre makes it the right book?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
hussi

Hi,

exactly this is it.
I tried on 3 different computers with Vista, Win7 and XP (the receiving part), and the behavior is the same.
For me it could be interesting: does other have the same problem? Or maybe "my" Calibre is a little strange? I have Windows 7/64, Calibre 0.6.47 (but also other versions made this) and Outlook 2007 as email-client.

Hussi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that clicking on the attachment in the email opens the wrong book, but importing the attachment into calibre makes it the right book?

Last edited by hussi; 04-12-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont see how that can be. Whether you click on the attachment or add it to calibre, it is exactly the same file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont see how that can be. Whether you click on the attachment or add it to calibre, it is exactly the same file.
Maybe he has some files with the wrong author/title stored internally for the book content. He could be getting the "right" author/title but the wrong book or vice-a-versa. When someone reads it, they see the wrong content, but when he puts it into Calibre, it reads the internal metadata, and it looks correct?

I'd check the content of each format. It gets very confusing if the wrong book content for one format was stored along with the correct content of another format under the correct author/title. This can happen when dragging the new format into the wrong record during a metadata single edit. It can also happen if you do a metadata fetch and allow author/title overwrites. Sometimes it finds the wrong title.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
hussi

To avoid this i edit the metadata on every book before i send mail.
I load them one by one into Calibre and edit metadata after (many of them have author and title the wrong way) i dont think i'm doing something wrong.
What is the metadata fetch? I use Calibre in german ...
When i open the books in Calibre everything matches. But AFTER sending (maybe while sending) it mixes. I can send books to myself and get them mixed then.

Is there not any logfile i could watch to find the error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Maybe he has some files with the wrong author/title stored internally for the book content. He could be getting the "right" author/title but the wrong book or vice-a-versa. When someone reads it, they see the wrong content, but when he puts it into Calibre, it reads the internal metadata, and it looks correct?

I'd check the content of each format. It gets very confusing if the wrong book content for one format was stored along with the correct content of another format under the correct author/title. This can happen when dragging the new format into the wrong record during a metadata single edit. It can also happen if you do a metadata fetch and allow author/title overwrites. Sometimes it finds the wrong title.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
hussi

Ok, another test ...

First: thanks for your replies, this behavior by Calibre is very strange.

Here are results from a test i did a few minutes ago.
My daughters computer had no epub-reader software installed. For test proposes i installed the fb-reader (because i also have Adobe DR installed on my computer).
I sendes 3 books. 1 was ok (attachment, name and book matching)
The other 2 were mixed.
So i really think the error is on my computer.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussi View Post
To avoid this i edit the metadata on every book before i send mail.
I load them one by one into Calibre and edit metadata after (many of them have author and title the wrong way) i dont think i'm doing something wrong.
Do you verify the content of each format? By "content" I mean the text of the book itself.

Quote:
What is the metadata fetch?
That is Calibre's built-in system for getting metadata (comments, ISBN number, ratings, publisher info, etc.) from the internet (Google Books, Amazon, ISBNDB, etc.)

Quote:
When i open the books in Calibre everything matches. But AFTER sending (maybe while sending) it mixes. I can send books to myself and get them mixed then.
As above, I just wanted to be sure you are looking at each individual format and checking the internal metadata and the content, against the Calibre metadata. If you choose "View" (I don't know the corresponding keyword in German) you only see one format. Other formats may be incorrect, or the content may be correct, but the internal metadata may be wrong.

Quote:
Is there not any logfile i could watch to find the error?
You can start Calibre using the command line interface with the -g option to see errors, but I don't actually see any error that's likely to be caused by Calibre. (I'm not at home, but I think calibredb -g is the startup command.)
Old 04-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
The other 2 were mixed.
What do you mean by "mixed?"

Did you send more than one book, or a single book with multiple formats?

It may help if you carefully list each step you took and what you saw.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
hussi

Quote:
Do you verify the content of each format? By "content" I mean the text of the book itself.

That is Calibre's built-in system for getting metadata (comments, ISBN number, ratings, publisher info, etc.) from the internet (Google Books, Amazon, ISBNDB, etc.)

oh, i've seen this, but never used it.

As above, I just wanted to be sure you are looking at each individual format and checking the internal metadata and the content, against the Calibre metadata. If you choose "View" (I don't know the corresponding keyword in German) you only see one format. Other formats may be incorrect, or the content may be correct, but the internal metadata may be wrong.

The book are completely ok in Calibre. Looking author, title, book as epub and as pdf. Everything is matching. When i look down in the explorerpath it is also ok.

You can start Calibre using the command line interface with the -g option to see errors, but I don't actually see any error that's likely to be caused by Calibre. (I'm not at home, but I think calibredb -g is the startup command.)
mmm. Also while sending?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
hussi

Quote:
What do you mean by "mixed?"

Did you send more than one book, or a single book with multiple formats?

It may help if you carefully list each step you took and what you saw.
Ok. Step by step. (Sending only epub.)
I select 3 or more books. Rightklicking, send to reader, mail to email-receipient.Calibre starts sending mails....
Then they receive several mails: 1 or 2 with books where the attachementname is equal to the booktitle (when you doupleclick it to read/preview).
The other mails includes attachments where the book is not equal to the filename. Strange to explain. I try.

Mail 1 attachement named abc.epub, book abc.epub
Mail 2 att. def.epub, but book is ghi.epub
Mail 3 att. ghi.epub, but book is def.epub
and so on. It is not really like my description, sometimes the mix is from 3 to 1, 2 to 3 and 1 to 2.
So when my mom f. ex. opens mail 2 (thinking it is def.epub) she sees ghi.epub
This happens only when i select 3 or more books. When i send a single book - not. And not if i 5 times (or more) send single books to the same receipient.
And as i wrote - not only on her computer.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Mail 2 att. def.epub, but book is ghi.epub
If she right clicks on Mail 2 and saves the attachment to desk, does she get a file named def.epub or one called ghi.epub? When she opens the file saved to her desk, which book is it?

Also, are these epub files converted from another format?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
hussi

Smile

Quote:
If she right clicks on Mail 2 and saves the attachment to desk, does she get a file named def.epub or one called ghi.epub? When she opens the file saved to her desk, which book is it?

Also, are these epub files converted from another format?
Both ways - when a book arrives "turned around" it is the same doubleclicking or saving to desk.
The books are all converted from pdf to epub with Calibre.

Tx. for your quick replies!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
hussi

Sending books - try out?

Dear Starson17, do you have the chance to try out sending 3-5 books from yourself to yourself? Know you're not at home, but it would be nice to know if you have luck or not.
I have to stop for today, am tired ...

Hussi
Old 04-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Both ways - when a book arrives "turned around" it is the same doubleclicking or saving to desk.
I asked about Mail 2, which was "turned around, so I assume it was saved with the name def.epub on the desktop, but has contents ghi.epub.

You said if you save the book to Calibre it is correct. Did you mean that you could save the book above (after it is turned around) to Calibre and it would be fixed? It would be added to Calibre with the correct author and title? If so, do you have "Read metadata only from filename in the Preferences Add Save turned off? If so, that makes me think that the metadata is correct inside the file, the content is correct and only the external filename is wrong.