Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
fcadete
fcadete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Article descriptions in MOBI

Dear all,

First of all, let me thank all the people who created and keep adding to Calibre. It helped me decide to get a Kindle.

I received my Kindle (Global edition) today and tried to get some periodicals from calibre into the Kindle. No problems with converting to MOBI or putting the files on the Kindle, but when I went to the table of contents the articles didn't have descriptions. I went back to the computer to check and the descriptions are present in the ePub version and not in the MOBI.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing and, if yes, is there a way to fix it?

Thank you in advance for you time.
fcadete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Are you generating the periodical in MOBI format to begin with, or are you converting from EPUB?
Whether or not the article description shows up in the Kindle TOC depends upon the recipe and the web pages used as source material. Which recipe are you using?

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
fcadete

I was converting from EPUB. Generating the periodical in MOBI format fixed the problem, thank you for the suggestion.

The recipes I am using are the Economist (Free version), New York Review of Books, New York Times Book Review and London Review of Books. Now if only Amazon would sell the New Yorker in the UK or New Yorker would stop putting subscriber-only articles in that pdf format, I would be all set...
Old 04-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, calibre has a recipe for the New Yorker
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes it does. At one point I had some trouble with it, but now it's working great.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
fcadete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You are right, it does, but for the New Yorker feeds, not for the table of contents of the current print edition. I will eventually dust off my Python and try to do a recipe for it, but it will be very hard to do a subscribers recipe because the articles reserved for them are made accessible only in PDF format.

... unless I start messing around with pyPDF....