Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Correcting mobi book for personal use?

Hi,

Not sure where to post this question -- sorry if this is the wrong place.

I downloaded the ePub version of Doris Stevens' "Jailed for Freedom" from GoogleBooks and converted it to Mobi to read on my Kindle. Great book by the way! About the fight by suffragettes for the right of women to vote and their struggles with Woodrow Wilson. Amazon sells this book in kindle format, but it does not have the photographs that were in the original book. None of the other versions (Gutenberg etc.) has the photos either.

Because the Googlebook version was scanned in, there are mistakes due to the OCR. Is there software I can use to correct the text just for my own use? I own a Mac.

Thank you!

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
The best OCR software that I know and use myself is Fine Reader. I have FR v. 8, they are now up to v. 9 or 10. Remember though that the quality of the input scan determines the quality of the OCR results. Sometimes I have found it useful to manipulate the scans (clean them up, increase the resolution, delete garbage like the scanning person's fingers and the shadows on the sides) before feeding them to Fine Reader. One of the best clean-up programs is Scan Kromsator and it's free (http://www.bolega.hotmail.ru/). However, it is impossibly hard to learn how to use.

Once you've done the best OCR job you can, then the hard part of manual proofreading begins. The OCR program will take you only so far.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
Hi,

Not sure where to post this question -- sorry if this is the wrong place.

I downloaded the ePub version of Doris Stevens' "Jailed for Freedom" from GoogleBooks and converted it to Mobi to read on my Kindle. Great book by the way! About the fight by suffragettes for the right of women to vote and their struggles with Woodrow Wilson. Amazon sells this book in kindle format, but it does not have the photographs that were in the original book. None of the other versions (Gutenberg etc.) has the photos either.

Because the Googlebook version was scanned in, there are mistakes due to the OCR. Is there software I can use to correct the text just for my own use? I own a Mac.

Thank you!

k4k
Expand the Mobi book to its HTML source (using tompe's free tools); you can then edit the HTML (with any text editor), then rebuild the Mobi file (again with tompe's tools).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank everyone. Harry, maybe some day when you finish Dickens, you can do the perfect edition of this book.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I downloaded the ePub version of Doris Stevens' "Jailed for Freedom" from GoogleBooks and converted it to Mobi to read on my Kindle.
[...]
ePubs are a zipped set of files, including HTML text. Change the extension on your .ePub to .zip, and expand the folder by double-clicking it. You can now edit the HTML, perhaps comparing with the Gutenberg version. Once you're happy with the text, re-zip using my Applescript, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681 and then re-convert to Mobipocket.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
krazy4katz
Addict

Thanks, pdurrant! I'll try that! k4k

ETA: Another question! What program do I use to edit the xml files? If I open them in Word, I lose the formatting. If I open in a browser program, I can't seem to edit.

Thanks again, k4k

Last edited by krazy4katz; 01-08-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Expand the Mobi book to its HTML source (using tompe's free tools); you can then edit the HTML (with any text editor), then rebuild the Mobi file (again with tompe's tools).
It would be a lot easier to correct the ePub and convert again back to Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Would tompe's tools work for the books from Amazon that I have stripped using skindle's program? I noticed after converting them to lrf in Calibre that some of the words are misspelled or even just the wrong word. Or is this problem with the conversion and not the original mobi file? BTW, I haven't checked the original mobi file to see if the problems are there, I keep forgetting when I'm near my laptop, as I read the books on my Sony 505.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Another question! What program do I use to edit the xml files? If I open them in Word, I lose the formatting. If I open in a browser program, I can't seem to edit.
You need a text editor, rather than a word processor. I recommend the free TextWrangler from Bare Bones software.

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/
Old 01-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
Would tompe's tools work for the books from Amazon that I have stripped using skindle's program?
Yes. But editing ePubs is a lot easier, and since you're intending to read them on your PRS-505, I'd suggest:
  1. Strip the DRM
  2. Convert to ePub
  3. Edit the ePub
  4. Read on your PRS-505