Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
morajelly
morajelly began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Question about the best format(s).

Ok. I know what formats are supported by the PRS-505 from the wiki but I would like to know from people that have used their 505 for a while...

A. Which format is your favorite for the 505

and

B. Which one do you recommend to convert all documents to for optimum viewing capabilities
morajelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I like .lrf well enough. Also ePub. Both display well on the Sony. PDFs in ADE tend not to re-flow very well in my experience.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I like ePub and lrf
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I prefer epub, but I will read pdf files (alot of library books are pdf and since they are free, I will live wirh the funky paragraph breaks).
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I like lrf and ePub. Pdf only if I have no other choice.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
lrf and epub for me also..
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
For optimum viewing options, I'd use ePub. I don't mind ragged right edges, and ePub is more convertable to other filetypes later if I care about it. I consider LRFs to be throwaway files--read and delete; keep something else for long-term use options.

If I had to chose one for a purchase, it'd definitely be ePub.

For a lot of my reading, I'm prone to converting things to custom PDFs sized for the Reader. (For free PDFs from the various publishers that offer them, I tend to add tags, which greatly helps reflow, and bookmarks, after which they're much less painful to read.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I use LRF because my husband is using my old PRS-500...and the PRS-500 does not support epub.

I also don't like that epub on the PRS-505 does not support full justification and I can't get rid of the numbers on the right margin. We already have a page number set up built into the PRS, not sure why we need another set of numbers?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I used to like RTF, but I've found that Calibre's default conversion to lrf gives a better formatted page in most cases, with full justification, paragraph indents, and good margins.

As for long-term storage, who cares? LRF is never the source format for my books anyway, it's usually RTF or LIT. What you buy in and what you read in don't need to be the same.

With Calibre, your original format is always retained alongside whatever you convert to, so it's a moot point. And conversion is fast enough that I read almost everyhing in LRF for best performance on the 505. Unless a get a PDF specifically formatted for it, like from feedbooks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I also don't like that epub on the PRS-505 does not support full justification and I can't get rid of the numbers on the right margin. We already have a page number set up built into the PRS, not sure why we need another set of numbers?
I agree, I don't like ePub as a format or in its implementation on the 505. I wonder why it seems to be so popular...

Last edited by Teddman; 07-14-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer ePub because it's easy to setup the font(s) that I want. And I do find that I like Fontin as a base font in most cases.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
The LRF books I've purchased from Sony are generally formatted pretty well and are quite readable as is (which is good since you can't reformat them if you want).

That said, I prefer to purchase my books in ePub format. About half have been formatted well and I've left alone. The other half I've decrypted, then edited the stylesheets to add better margins, adjust the type size and line spacing, eliminate blank lines after paragraphs, etc. In doing this, I've found a couple that actually have fonts included in the archive, but that aren't properly referenced in the stylesheet. Once those were linked back up, the book looked much better.

As for the non-justification in ePub, I personally prefer it. I deal with layout and text daily, and I'd much rather have ragged right text with proper character and word spacing than unhyphenated fully justified blocks of text with erratic word spacing and huge gaping rivers flowing through them. But that's just me.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I use LRF for shorter files or things that I care less about. I can't say I particularly like the design or formatting most folks do with it even on MR. Feels cheap--too cheap for what for me was a $300usd device...

I try to make custom pdfs for any book I want to look nice. I couldn't care less about reflow or resize, or even a table of contents for that matter. I'd much rather focus on making an attractive, enjoyable book with more complete layout and font control.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I prefer LRF, not really that taken with epub. I'd buy a LIT file and convert it before buying an epub.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
As for the non-justification in ePub, I personally prefer it. I deal with layout and text daily, and I'd much rather have ragged right text with proper character and word spacing than unhyphenated fully justified blocks of text with erratic word spacing and huge gaping rivers flowing through them. But that's just me.
I agree, it's a matter of personal taste, it's just that I like my books to look like books. I can't remember the last ragged-right paperback I read. Unless you use a big font, I don't find the spacing and hyphenation to be a problem.

I just can't believe ePub is supposed to be the universal e-book format and it didn't even support full justification until a few months ago.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #15
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
I agree with everybody else, epub and LRF are the main ones I use.

I just did the font hack that is on this site and replaced the default font with caecilia font. And I like it a lot because it's darker and clearer and I can read smaller font sizes and get more words on screen. And these fonts only work on LRF ebooks. The basic fonts on epub are great too, but since I just did the font hack I am having fun reading my stuff in that font.

Also, the sony 505 has 6 zoom levels, not 3! If you do portrait mode the fonts are bigger than the others, I just found that out. So I'm going to reconvert some of my ebooks to small font size as default , and use portrait modes if I need bigger font sizes. Not sure what I wrote makes sense, but check it out on your 505 and you will see what I mean.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote