Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #16
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
I'd buy one, as I'd much rather have an ultra deluxe e-reader than an ultra basic one.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #17
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Would you buy this "Uber E-Reader"?
Not a chance. Why would I want an Android device on which I couldn't install my own choice of Android apps?
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I know, but the complications would be on the side of the manufacturer. Android itself, and all the apps it has, may (will?) complicate the device for users, as they'd be able to install applications that don't work well on e-ink screens, such as fast games.
No, they wouldn't. Your Android device advertises its capabilities, and the standard market would simply tell you "this app is incompatible with your device".
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
It sounds like a very good idea to me.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
Fallingwater
Enthusiast
Fallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura aboutFallingwater has a spectacular aura about

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Edit: first part of the post deleted - I may have said a few silly things.

What I would like is a dual-face tablet, with an e-ink display on one side and a LCD on the other. I'm aware similar devices have been made, but by using the same hardware to drive both screens the battery life benefits of the e-ink display are vastly reduced.

In my version of this the two sides would be driven by two completely different systems; they would share the battery and mass storage so you could, say, download files from the tablet side and read them from the e-ink one, but they would otherwise be completely independent. And then you could run a dedicated e-ink reading system on one, and Android on the other.

Last edited by Fallingwater; 09-04-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Fallingwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #21
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I use a rooted Nook ST. Android is not too heavy for it. I run tons of apps. It is fast and reliable. It never crashes and the battery life is great.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #22
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've been using google Play books quite a bit recently I'd love a device that could handle it as well as my Nexus 7 but with e-ink, android has another couple of really good reading apps in Mantano and Fabrik.

I'm surprised Google hasn't considered making a reader themselves.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Not a chance. Why would I want an Android device on which I couldn't install my own choice of Android apps?
This is pretty much what Kobo faced when they introduced the Vox. A lot of users got around those limitations by sideloading their own apps. It is a fair compromise: the vendor is trying to sell a user experience, both in terms of function and ensuring that the available apps will operate properly on it. The consumer still has the option of bypassing the vendor's limitations.

That said, I replaced my broken Aura with a PRS-T1. I had CoolReader and Aard dictionary installed on it within two days. (The only reason why it took that long was because I was moving at the time.) I still have to figure out how to shoehorn the Wikipedia on the reader without buying a huge SD card though.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
fathermocker
fathermocker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I wouldn't buy this. You have a very specific device in mind, with a lot of limitations. I'd rather keep my Kindle.
fathermocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #25
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
No, they wouldn't. Your Android device advertises its capabilities, and the standard market would simply tell you "this app is incompatible with your device".
It wouldn't be advertised as an Android device. It'd be advertised as an ereader on which you can run different reading apps. It will not have Google Play, but a specific market by its manufacturer.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
BevL
No Tech Patience
BevL began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note, Kindle Paperwhite 3G
I've actually been hoping for one of these ultimate ereaders for quite a while. Who cares if it can't run 90% of the other Android apps? Its sole purpose is to offer me multiple reading apps for multiple formats on an eye friendly screen; the ultimate in reading choices without being stuck in one reading environment.

Recently I realized that there would be an added benefit. My teenage son and my husband share my Kindle account, which means my son, using his Android phone's Kindle app, has access to every book I buy, including the adult-only books. With a multi-format ereader, I could purchase the adult books in say epub and keep them out of the Amazon environment completely. Yes, I could do that now, but my tired old eyes can no longer handle reading on my laptop or on my phone even though it's a large screen Note. So right now I send the mobi or PDF formats to my Kindle Paperwhite instead of buying in epub and sending to my Aldiko app. This is a problem a lot of people have complained to Amazon about but they've not done anything about at the Kindle library level (as opposed to parental controls on their devices).

Last edited by BevL; 09-04-2013 at 10:14 AM.
BevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Who's going to make/sell this ultimate, high-end, reader-only "android" device? That will create/maintain a specialized market for the device that "sells" nothing but reader apps for other retailers' (mainly) books? And market that device to a very, very, very niche clientele?

I don't think anybody'd be able to afford what they'd have to charge to make it a profitable endeavor.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #28
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Who's going to make/sell this ultimate, high-end, reader-only "android" device?
That is actually the smallest hurdle, especially if there is a bit of a premium on the price. An analog would be the hobby electronics market. You can purchase everything from small computer systems with specialized IO (e.g. Arduino) to small computer systems that are meant to be embedded in other projects (e.g. Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black). You see it in the mobile phone market too (e.g. Neo FreeRunner, Nokia N900). You also see it in the game console market (e.g. GP2X, Ouya). A month or two back we also saw some sort of Android device with an eInk display for hikers and the such.

The key is knowing your market and knowing how to get your product to your customers.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Who's going to make/sell this ultimate, high-end, reader-only "android" device? That will create/maintain a specialized market for the device that "sells" nothing but reader apps for other retailers' (mainly) books? And market that device to a very, very, very niche clientele?

I don't think anybody'd be able to afford what they'd have to charge to make it a profitable endeavor.
Asus. They single-handedly created the even nichier (?) market of netbooks.

And why not google? They could have a nice big fat app of their own, selling books from their own store. Call the thing a Nexus Reader and give it good hardware with a comparatively low price, like the Nexus 4 phone. $300 for the 9.7 inch version wouldn't be a bad price.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just don't see it happening. But I'm not opposed to it happening or anything, so, hey!... here's to hoping I'm wrong and you get your wish.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote