Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
Question Nexus7 hurts my eyes, will Kindle HD 8.9 or Nook HD+ be better?

Which 9inch tablet has the better screen for reading Kindle HD 8.9 or Nook HD+?

Maybe there is another option?

As a long time e-ink user I am looking for a color tablet for mostly larger pdfs and web.

I still plan on reading most of my books on my iRiver HD and Kindle DX.

However, after a few days with Nexus 7 it is simply unusable for more than 10-15 minutes as my head starts to hurt from the glare.

I also have had some time with ipad3 and ipad4, the resolution is nice but the glare is still there but not as bad as Nexus.

So my idea is to buy from companies to whom reading is the principal business:
Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

At least both companies appear to have done some work to alleviate screen issues if one can believe their advertisements.

I am currently leaning towards Nook HD+ because it has the expansion slot and it seems to be easier to root than Kindle. Still, if the screen on the Kindle is better for reading, I will go with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9.

The resolution seems very similar on both but the big question is the glare and eyestrain.

What are your experiences and suggestions?

Last edited by Begemot; 04-06-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The JetBook Color 2 Color E-Ink Reader is fine for PDFs and epubs.

Every other color option has an LCD display with backlights which probably won't be comfortable for your eyes.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

Every other color option has an LCD display with backlights which probably won't be comfortable for your eyes.
On a somewhat related note, I've found that reading on my Droid Bionic Smartphone is MUCH easier if I change the text from black text on a white background to a slightly tinted rose or light gray background with Black text. It may be that it is the extreme contrast that you find disruptive.

Most reader software for Android have controls to modify that sort of thing. It would be a shame to get rid of a really fine tablet because of something that might be under your control. It's certainly worth at least exploring.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

What I am looking in a tablet is a "decent" reading experience combined with a decent web browser.

Chrome on Nexus 7 works great, it is the screen that is giving me troubles.

I suspect that it is the contrast combined with the glare that gives me the headaches. I spend 8 hours in front of multiple LCDs every day with no headaches.

Incidentally my eyes also hurt from playing with 4-5 inch mobile phone screens for a while, yet I had no problems reading for a long time on my 5 inch Aluratek Libre(Jetbook) which was black on grayish white.

Jetbook Color 2 looks interesting, although I remember reading on how horrible the software on the first Color was. Color 2 is still Windows CE underneath is it not?

Does Jetbook Color 2 actually have a web browser? I remember that Color 1 was very limited in this regard.

Last edited by Begemot; 04-07-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: E
Old 04-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I haven't played with the Nexus, so I don't know how the screen is in real life, but it is supposed to be VERY good.

Personally I hate reading books on LCD, except for maybe 20-30 minutes at a time, so I kind of know how you feel. (Don't have any problem working with vomputer LCD screens though)

Have you tried using another background color, like GlenBarrnington suggests? I use a sepia background, and also very low light. Turn the light down a LOT when reading!
Fiddle around some more before stepping away from the Nexus!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
When you say glare, are you referring to the brightness of the screen or reflections from the screen?

I always praised eInk over reading on the LCD screens of the tablets and phones in my household until I got the Nexus 7, but as others have said, I found it to be easiest on the eye with the brightness turned well down and with a sepia background. I don't think the other tablets you mention have anything that the Nexus 7 doesn't in this regard.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
However, after a few days with Nexus 7 it is simply unusable for more than 10-15 minutes as my head starts to hurt from the glare.
What is "the glare"?. Is it the strong light from a backlit screen or is it mirror-like reflection of surrounding lights?
Where do you read from the device? What is the ambient light level?

I know that many people, including myself, praise e-ink devices for not emitting light and thus being much friendlier for your eyes. The fact is, there is absolutely no difference between a photon that is emitted from an LCD backlight and photon that is reflected from a paper page or an e-ink screen. I know that the "white" light from an LCD is different than the white light from the sun. The light from LCD consists from a certain percentage of narrow frequency bands around Red, Green and Blue and white light from the sun has all the frequencies (still, with a fluorescent or even LED lightbulb the white is not really all-frequency-white ala sunlight) . There is also refresh frequency that is different (again this was much more an issue with early models of CRT monitors). But still, from a physics point of view, a photon is a photon when it hits your eye, no matter where it came from ...

*The* main difference between a passive e-ink and an LCD is in the level of ambient (surrounding) light. With an e-ink, tle level reflected from the screen is the same, or a little bit lower, as ambient light level. With LCD being read in the dark room, the screen is much, *much* brighter and that is the main thing that hurts your eyes [on a modern display].
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
There are screen protectors available that will cut down on the glare. Here's one that is available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Protect.../dp/B008FF85TA
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Begemot
Zealot

I will have to try the glare protector. Whatever is hurting my eyes has to do with the glare (not sure how else to define it).

I have an old netbook Acer Aspire One with 1024x600 glare type screen which also hurt my eyes and caused headaches, until I decided to buy a glare protector and while putting on the protector cracked the screen..

Then I bought a matte LCD replacement and I can use the netbook with no problems.

I really like the Nexus 7 for very casual use, just very unhappy that I can not use it for more than 10-15minutes.

So Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and Nook HD+ also have glare type screens?

Re: http://www.tested.com/tech/238-gloss...isplay-debate/
Old 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
So Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and Nook HD+ also have glare type screens?
All touch screen tablet type devices have similar 'glossy' screens.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

Overpriced, underpowered, 800x600 in color; not a good replacement for a nexus 7.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-07-2013 at 05:19 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
LCD screens are bad to read on, IMO. I do read pdfs on an ereader with varying success. Where possible, I convert them.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In addition to lowering the brightness level, turn off the automatic brightness option.

Don't angle the tablet toward external lighting.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #14
Begemot
Zealot

I had a chance to test drive both Nook HD+ and Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and both were just as glossy as Nexus 7. The screens were nice but reading experience remains much better on e-ink.

So matte screen protector for Nexus 7 it is for some complicated pdfs and rest of reading goes to my trusty e-ink readers.

Tags
kindle, nexus, nook