Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
cgraving
cgraving began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Parsing Titles

I am using Calibre 0.7.18 on ubuntu and was looking for a way to update the meta data in a large number of files. The issue is that all the book titles contain both the title and author, then the author is shown as unknown. I was wondering if there was anyway to separate these fields, get the fetch metadata to work?

If not or the only answer is plugin, can someone point me in the write direction. I went to create one and I need to read the meta data, parse, then write the meta data. I would like it to be a new option in the UI to trigger the plugin. I couldn't decide which type of plugin to create. Obvious at first was MetadataWriter plugin, then I wondered about reading. then I was wondering about the UI pluin type as I don't want this to run on every book that I get meta data for, just ones I have selected when I tell the plugin to run.

Direction would be awesome!

Thanks,
Carl
cgraving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What filetypes are we talking about, if you consider creating a brand new plugin for them?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
cgraving
cgraving began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Mobi

The files are mobi files. The files I am issues with are formatted as such:

"title - author"
If there is a colon, it is replaced with a "_", and sometimes has the ", The" at the end. Pretty easy parsing, just wasn't sure what type of plugin would be best for the application.

Thanks,
Carl
cgraving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Mobi is already fully supported, there should be no need for additional plugins. You have several options at this point:
  • Use the search & replace feature in bulk metadata editing to fix the data the way you want it. It is definitely possible to fix what you describe in regex mode.
  • If you still have the original files, reimport them. Either read the metadata from file contents, if it is good, or read it from filename via a regex (See preferences->adding books).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata, parsing, plugin