Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #1276
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I knew you were going to say that
Yeah.

I knew that you knew otherwise you would have given me a warning about the stats not being available anymore.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #1277
lkstrummer
Enthusiast
lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.lkstrummer shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony Daily Edition PRS-950SC
Kobo Touch's poor PDF support is incredibly frustrating. I've waited nearly a year since I purchased an Aura HD for Kobo to implement some of the changes we have asked for on this and other forums. So far, they've adopted none as of Firmware 3.1.1. So, once again:

1) Do away with the standard page information bar at the bottom of the screen when the user chooses the vertical fill option. Many, nearly all, PDFs already have page data within the page. This one is a particular head-scratcher since the Horizontal fill page view option DOES do away with the page data at the bottom of the screen.

2) Make the zoom function more user-friendly. Right now, we have to goldilocks it between too big and too small to find our sweet spot for our particular document. The default preset + and - increments of 50% are waaaaay too high to be usable. Furthermore, we have to navigate to our preferred zoom setting using the ridiculously unstable zoom bar. The touch feature on the current kobos is NOT good enough for a feature like a zoom bar. Future Touches need an input where we can actually enter a numerical value for our preferred zoom level.

3) Zoom and lock
Zoom and lock
Zoom and lock
Zoom and lock

4) Do away with the left and right page turn scroll arrows. The annoying page turn arrows cause the user to scroll the contents to the entire screen at ANY zoom setting currently, even when the zoom setting doesn't cause the document to overfill horizontally. Some users might prefer this option so I won't harp on it too much. But, suffice to say, for my needs a zoom and lock funtion would negate how kobo treated page scrolling and page turns when zoomed in.

5) REMEMBER MY ZOOM SETTING FOR MY DOCUMENT BETWEEN USES!!!!

We all know that Kobo does read these forums. Please, let's all be vocal about these issues if you believe that Kobo addressing these issues would enhance usability. Thank you.
lkstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #1278
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Software Version 3.0.1
I really like new feature that lets me turn off list view, display covers in library.

Home screen should also have author and title captions with turn off display covers option.

Ability to turn off home screen % read would be good because this can be wildly wrong for many reasons and takes needlessly takes up space.

Remove Sync button from home screen. Button way too big, stays if you have auto sync set, and is only 2 touches away without sync button on home screen.

Library books added button on home screen only takes you to recently read screen
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #1279
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Just one thing:

Option for top/bottom touch zones instead of left/right.

I hold the Kobo in two hands at the bottom of the device, and even after six months I am still go backwards once in a while.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #1280
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Software Version 3.0.1
Remove Sync button from home screen. Button way too big, stays if you have auto sync set, and is only 2 touches away without sync button on home screen.
Yes, the sync tile should be treated the same as all the others. It's an obnoxious pest that won't go away. You can banish it with my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre. If that isn't your thing, then you can manually add the database trigger that the plugin creates.
Quote:
Library books added button on home screen only takes you to recently read screen
"Recently Read" really means "Recently read or added". The new books should appear at the top of the list.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #1281
heyow
heyow began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Very happy to see the support of pocket in my kobo. I forgot it for abour 6 months, I think that I will reuse it now.

But the big problem is for authenticated content. Pocket android app has a feature for it. It remembers login/pass, and content is fully displayed.
Kobo really needs this feature too. Ex : mediapart.fr, my pocket articles come mostly from mediapart.
heyow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:12 AM   #1282
Akerbos
Akerbos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
(These may have been listed before, I did not check.)

Chapter markers
In earlier versions, the "scroll bar" accessible when reading a book would contain markers at each chapter break. That would allow me to gauge how long the current chapter is (relevant for reading tactics ). Currently, this information is not accessible at all; one would have to create a bookmark, skip to the next chapter via ToC, and then move back to the bookmark.

Configurable home screen
I want to read books, nothing more. Sadly, books do not take up even most of the home screen. I'd like a setting that removes all social, web and shop features from the home screen and features more of "my" books instead.

Support for own dictionaries
The choice of dictionaries is extremely limited. I know that it is (used to be?) possible in principle to exchange, say, Spanish files for Swedish ones, but that's not really user-friendly. Please implement a mechanism for dictionaries that is similar to fonts, i.e. "put it there and you can use it".

Yellow screen lighting
This is not a firmware request but still a proposal to improve the device.

Currently, the screen illumination is a bright (even slightly blueish) white. Luminosity can be controlled finely enough so it does not "hurt"), and it greatly improves the devices utility. However, it destroys night vision. When walking home at night and reading with screen illumination, I can barely see the sidewalk. Therefore, arguably, the current implementation can be a safety hazard.

This is a solved problem (e.g. for pedestrian crossings): use light that does not trigger eye adaption (as much), i.e. with longer wave lengths. Sodium-vapor and darkroom lamps are classic choices. Of course, we need LEDs but units with wavelengths of around 600nm seem to be readily availble. (As a nice side effect, such lighting is easier on the eyes and improves perceived contrast.)

In summary, I propose that future editions of Kobo ereaders employ high-wavelength illumination.
Akerbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #1283
DrAtomic
DrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura
-. Ability to sync wishlist to kobo store

-. Ability to organise wishlist (i.e. create multiple lists)

-. Ability to checkout an entire wishlist (buy all)

-. Show prices in wishlist also when not connected over WiFi

-. Ability to send wishlist to pocket

-. Language filter on storefront search (i.e. if I search for Dan Brown I'm interested in his books in English not in Dutch or Italian.)

-. Storefront language content should match the set language of the device (again I dont care for Dutch books, I want English books).

-. Ideal integration for checkout from device (seriously this is THE digital payment form for the Netherlands)

-. Paypal integration for checkout from device

-. Ability to organize Library Shelves like i would with normal books;

I.e. I have a shelf for Karin Slaughters Trent Will Series. In Normal life it would be placed in reading order, so:
Blindsighted
Kisscut
A Faint Cold Fear
Indelible
Faithless
Beyond Reach
Triptych
Fractured
Undone
Broken
Fallen
Snatched
Criminal
Busted
Unseen

However on my Kobo Aura Shelf it's:
Criminal
Blindsighted
Kisscut
Undone
Unseen
Indelible
Faithless
Beyond Reach
A Faint Cold Fear
Triptych
Fractured
Fallen
Broken
Snatched
Busted

I.e. a complete mess, what's the point of having shelves if I can't put my books in reading order? Now I have to carry around a written note with the reading order, that's just silly in a digital age.
DrAtomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #1284
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Many of us use calibre and plugboards to massage book titles to add in series info. This results in a book's title appearing as "Trent Will - 01 - Blindsighted" (or similar depending on HOW you decide to use the plugboard). This allows an alphabetical sort to correctly display the books in order.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM   #1285
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akerbos View Post
Chapter markers
In earlier versions, the "scroll bar" accessible when reading a book would contain markers at each chapter break. That would allow me to gauge how long the current chapter is (relevant for reading tactics ). Currently, this information is not accessible at all; one would have to create a bookmark, skip to the next chapter via ToC, and then move back to the bookmark.
The way I do this is to use the navigation bar to skip to the next chapter. The page number is displayed in the bar and then press the return button to go back to where I was.
Quote:
Configurable home screen
I want to read books, nothing more. Sadly, books do not take up even most of the home screen. I'd like a setting that removes all social, web and shop features from the home screen and features more of "my" books instead.
The tiled home screen adapts and only shows what you use. The other options will disappear. You can prevent them from displaying with my Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre.
Quote:
Support for own dictionaries
The choice of dictionaries is extremely limited. I know that it is (used to be?) possible in principle to exchange, say, Spanish files for Swedish ones, but that's not really user-friendly. Please implement a mechanism for dictionaries that is similar to fonts, i.e. "put it there and you can use it".
Yes, that would be good. When Kobo changed how dictionaries were handled, I was expecting them to start selling extra or better dictionaries.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #1286
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAtomic View Post
-. Ability to organize Library Shelves like i would with normal books;

I.e. I have a shelf for Karin Slaughters Trent Will Series. In Normal life it would be placed in reading order, so:
Blindsighted
Kisscut
A Faint Cold Fear
Indelible
Faithless
Beyond Reach
Triptych
Fractured
Undone
Broken
Fallen
Snatched
Criminal
Busted
Unseen

However on my Kobo Aura Shelf it's:
Criminal
Blindsighted
Kisscut
Undone
Unseen
Indelible
Faithless
Beyond Reach
A Faint Cold Fear
Triptych
Fractured
Fallen
Broken
Snatched
Busted

I.e. a complete mess, what's the point of having shelves if I can't put my books in reading order? Now I have to carry around a written note with the reading order, that's just silly in a digital age.
Is that what you meant in your other post. For the Kobo, my other reply mentioned how to get to sort orders I mentioned will help. The method PeterT mentioned to allow title sorting to sort the books in series order. This is a popular way to do it on just about all ereaders. As well as this, on a Kobo, one of the sort orders for shelves is "Date Added". If you add the books one at a time to the shelf in the right order, this can be used for that purpose. And if you are a calibre user, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to do this once all the books are on the shelf.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #1287
DrAtomic
DrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of lightDrAtomic is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is that what you meant in your other post. For the Kobo, my other reply mentioned how to get to sort orders I mentioned will help. The method PeterT mentioned to allow title sorting to sort the books in series order. This is a popular way to do it on just about all ereaders. As well as this, on a Kobo, one of the sort orders for shelves is "Date Added". If you add the books one at a time to the shelf in the right order, this can be used for that purpose. And if you are a calibre user, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to do this once all the books are on the shelf.
Indeed it is. I did miss the sort order thing, for which I thank you, allthough it just reorders the mess into an other mess atm lol. I find it silly that I have to resort to using an external tool in order to achieve this, especially since the Kobo is database driven (an simple extra column in the database containing sort order priority would solve it combined with highlight and switch on the touchscreen). Also doesnt using calibre mean you have to remove the drm?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #1288
DrAtomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Many of us use calibre and plugboards to massage book titles to add in series info. This results in a book's title appearing as "Trent Will - 01 - Blindsighted" (or similar depending on HOW you decide to use the plugboard). This allows an alphabetical sort to correctly display the books in order.
Cheers, but you have to agree that this kind of functionality should be native right?

A manual sort order combined with a drag and drop system within a shelf (highlight book drag it to it's wanted position) would solve the whole issue. Seems so natural to me that I can't get my head around it not being included.

Last edited by DrAtomic; 01-17-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #1289
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Cheers, but you have to agree that this kind of functionality should be native right?

A manual sort order combined with a drag and drop system within a shelf (highlight book drag it to it's wanted position) would solve the whole issue. Seems so natural to me that I can't get my head around it not being included.
Like a physical bookshelf
I don't think any of the ereaders I have used have anything like that. And like anything these days, some would like it and some would hate it. I prefer a more automated method.

Calibre does work very well and takes very little time to set up. I have used both plugboard and utilities plugin to order by series.

The plugboard works but on the Kobo you have to manually change the sort orders for each collections. The Kobo Utilities plugin will also set the sort order but only on series collections presently AFAIK.

Another advantage of calibre is that if you want to change or add/delete a type of collection it can again be done very quickly and is just as quick to change it back if you don't like it. And you don't have to remove the DRM if you don't want to modify the books but you have to to use the plugboard I think.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #1290
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
I've learned to cope without it, but I also miss the ability to manually sort my books either on the reader or in Calibre, exactly like a physical bookshelf. We are probably a minority though
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote