Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
siddardha
siddardha began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile help required in choosing a E-reader

Hello everyone

This is my first post.Let me introduce myself,My name is siddardha and i live in India.I decided to buy a E-reader this year so i have been comparing different E-readers online but could not decide on one
I chose Kindle 3 wifi because it's cheap,amazon ships to india,and they have a huge library of books and everybody says E-ink is better than normal lcd screen and i use a reader only for reading.
EDIT: The e-reader should last very long for probably about 5 to 6 years.

Is my decision correct if not can you please suggest some readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by siddardha; 11-08-2010 at 08:09 AM.
siddardha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Siddardha. I think you're asking a lot to expect your Kindle to last five or six years without problems. The device hasn't been around anywhere near that long, so there's no way users could advise you that they might have that kind of active lifespan. I guess you could opt for some kind of extended guarantee, but it's likely to cost more than it's worth. The price of ebook readers in general is sure to drop dramatically over the coming years so that it would be cheaper just to buy a new one. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your company, Siddardha. I think you're asking a lot to expect your Kindle to last five or six years without problems. The device hasn't been around anywhere near that long, so there's no way users could advise you that they might have that kind of active lifespan. I guess you could opt for some kind of extended guarantee, but it's likely to cost more than it's worth. The price of ebook readers in general is sure to drop dramatically over the coming years so that it would be cheaper just to buy a new one. Good luck and best wishes. Neil
Maybe i am asking for too much but will a kindle survive at least for 2-3 years?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Depends on what you call cheap, I hardly call the Kindle cheap. Don't get me wrong its a great product for the price you are paying for it but its hardly cheap. My reader is the Aluratek Libra Pro and costs $100. This is what I am defining as cheap, but lets look at what you are getting for the extra dollars in the kindle:

1) Personalization - you can enter your name in your Kindle, I can't
2) Search - Kindle has a search function, I don't
3) Dictionary - you have one I don't
4) Notes - You can take notes, I can't
5) Keyboard - You have one, I don't

In my opinion the Kindle is a better reader but the Libra Pro costs less. Sort of you get what you pay for. The Libra Pro sells at borders.com for the price I quotes.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Depends on what you call cheap, I hardly call the Kindle cheap. Don't get me wrong its a great product for the price you are paying for it but its hardly cheap. My reader is the Aluratek Libra Pro and costs $100. This is what I am defining as cheap, but lets look at what you are getting for the extra dollars in the kindle:

1) Personalization - you can enter your name in your Kindle, I can't
2) Search - Kindle has a search function, I don't
3) Dictionary - you have one I don't
4) Notes - You can take notes, I can't
5) Keyboard - You have one, I don't

In my opinion the Kindle is a better reader but the Libra Pro costs less. Sort of you get what you pay for. The Libra Pro sells at borders.com for the price I quotes.
I wasn't aware of other readers except kindle nook and sony e-readers probably because i was looking for something that ships to India(I know nook is not available for india).But i will look at Libra Pro and thanks for the link.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddardha View Post
Maybe i am asking for too much but will a kindle survive at least for 2-3 years?
My K1 is two years old and doing just fine. I know folks who have had their K1's for three years and they are chugging along perfectly. If you have a cover and treat your K3 intellignetly, don't throw it, don't sit on it, don't let a pet sit on it, don't leave it on the roof of your car while driving, I think you should be good for 2-3 years.

If you are enjoying reading on your K3 then I would relax and simply enjoy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddardha View Post
Hello everyone

This is my first post.Let me introduce myself,My name is siddardha and i live in India.I decided to buy a E-reader this year so i have been comparing different E-readers online but could not decide on one
I chose Kindle 3 wifi because it's cheap,amazon ships to india,and they have a huge library of books and everybody says E-ink is better than normal lcd screen and i use a reader only for reading.
EDIT: The e-reader should last very long for probably about 5 to 6 years.

Is my decision correct if not can you please suggest some readers.

Thanks.
Welcome to MobileRead, siddardha.

The K3 would be perfect for you, and one more thing for you to consider.......customer service.

Amazon is unmatched in this, here is a helpful web page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
While I am not familiar with geographic restrictions on book purchases, you might want to confirm that you can purchase a wide array of books from Amazon with an India address or isp or credit card.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Look at this link for Border's policy:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ing#customfees
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
While I am not familiar with geographic restrictions on book purchases, you might want to confirm that you can purchase a wide array of books from Amazon with an India address or isp or credit card.
Well, with an Indian address all the book cost $1.99 extra even the free one's but the workaround here is purchasing gift cards and give a U.S shipping address in the kindle account.

That is what i heard in many blogs regarding the international usage of kindle ,Correct me if i am wrong

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Look at this link for Border's policy:

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...ing#customfees
So i looked at www.borders.com and i find that the kobo e-reade rcosts same as kindle and it has a touch screen.How does kobo reader come up against kindle3?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
What about the Infibeam Pi or the Wink ?

http://www.infibeam.com/Pi

https://www.thewinkstore.com/modules...r&ereader_id=2

Both are India-centric with an empasis on on content in the various local languages/dialects.

Of course I would also recommend one of the new PocketBook devices such as the PocketBook Pro 602
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

Both are India-centric with an empasis on on content in the various local languages/dialects.

Of course I would also recommend one of the new PocketBook devices such as the PocketBook Pro 602
Both of them cost as much as the 139$ kindle and i was told kindle is technologically superior to them.The language doesn't matter because most (or all)of my books i read are in english .

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
siddardha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post

Both of them cost as much as the 139$ kindle and i was told kindle is technologically superior to them.The language doesn't matter because most (or all)of my books i read are in english and i would look into the pocketbook series.

EDIT:I googled pocketbook pro and all i get are the tech sites with reviews of pocketbook pro.Can you please give me a link and also tell me if the send international shipments.

Edit:got it.
Thanks

Last edited by siddardha; 11-09-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
The Kobo doesn't have a touch screen.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, kindle3