Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
JonathanSilver
JonathanSilver began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Port Forwarding Doesn't Seem to Work

How did you guys and girls get your Kindle 2 to work with Calibre?

There's a port issue because Kindle won't use port 8080. But then when following the help file, I change the port to 80, I get a message which prevents me from doing that. I have windows 7.

So what do I do? Thank You!!

the help file:
Some devices, like the Kindle, do not allow you to access port 8080 (the default port on which the content server runs. In that case, change the port in the calibre Preferences to 80. (On some operating systems, you may not be able to run the server on a port number less than 1024 because of security settings. In this case the simplest solution is to adjust your router to forward requests on port 80 to port 8080).

the error message:
WARNING: System port selected: <p>The value <b>80</b> you have chosen for the content server port is a system port. Your operating system <b>may</b> not allow the server to run on this port. To be safe choose a port number larger than 1024.

I'm not an IT person. So I am not sure what to do.

Last edited by JonathanSilver; 08-22-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: wanna say I am not an IT person
JonathanSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
SpeckledJim
Enthusiast
SpeckledJim began at the beginning.

Device: K3 WiFi
Have you actually tried just OK'ing the warning? It is just a warning, not an error.
SpeckledJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
On my Mac, the error message comes back as soon as it's dismissed, I can't even change the port back, or exit. I have to force quit to get out of it.

I use port 8888 for Calibre and port forward port 80 traffic from my router. Log into your router's configuration interface (commonly done via http://192.168.x.1 - where x is a 0 or 1 - consult your manual if you're not sure) and look for a "virtual server" or "port forwarding" setting. The exact wording is different for different brands, but you want to send inbound or external port 80 or http traffic to port 8080 (or whatever Calibre's using) on the internal IP address of the machine that's running Calibre. If you're not using a static IP address for that computer, you'll need to either do that or set up a DHCP reservation (assuming your router is also a DHCP server).

It's also convenient to use a dynamic DNS service (many routers can do this, or you install an updater program on your computer), so that you don't have to know your external IP address to access Calibre.

Last edited by trekchick; 08-23-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo fix - clarification
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2, port, windows 7