Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 02:20 AM   #301
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I may have missed the one point that prevents me from trying this upgrade/freebee.

And that is my worry and fear that I would lose where I am now with my setup which is windows 7 professional as probably many here all we have is a backup disk made of the oem image of the op system that I had to make myself seeing that many manufactures do not provide disks anymore.

My system when bought was windows 7 home, and then I upgraded over the web from microsoft. The only saving grace is as long as I own this system the upgrade is available to download anytime I want.

Would love to play with the new op system for a grin to see what can be seen, have heard story's of win 8 and because of those no way jose!

Win 7 is everything that win vista should have been! And would argue is a step up from xp considering.

Question is yes they say the upgrade is free, but in reality nothing is free anymore, again I state this may have been brought up in this thread, my concern is that if I jump and want to play with win 10. I would have to do a full backup (which is iffy) of my existing setup and risk losing ground and hours (days?) recovering.

Also does win 10 support virtual xp like win 7 pro and above does?

Been bitten in the past and do not care to be again! This is coming from a old fart in training, that got into computers in the late 70's and at one time thought I had something with a 286 running a Harris math coprocessor at 20 meg with a 10 meg hd with one meg ram, doing the command line thingy. That was not my first box, by far, anyone here use cpm? And having a 30 meg rll drive was for the rich people and may take 30 hours to format it.

Will not jump through hoops to get back to where I started, I like win 7 pro tho am looking for something better! Linux been there and done it, do not care to lift the hood and tweak anymore.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #302
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
Also does win 10 support virtual xp like win 7 pro and above does?
It does not include this. You would need to create your own VM using the built in virtualization tools.

Windows 10 can be pretty rough at this point so it should not be undertaken lightly unless installing it in a VM. Drivers can be a bit dicey, though it is getting better.
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #303
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
It'd be nice if the manufacturers offered us that option without having to use the MS Store. Try finding one of those.
If you are in the US you can buy it from the Microsoft store online. The downside of course is that you can't see the computer live before buying it. Still, after the recent Lenovo mess, signature PC's are looking even better than before!
Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #304
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwdoo View Post
Windows 10 can be pretty rough at this point so it should not be undertaken lightly unless installing it in a VM. Drivers can be a bit dicey, though it is getting better.
Let's be fair -- that is not Win10 you are talking about, it is the Win10 preview. Hardly relevant.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #305
danwdoo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Let's be fair -- that is not Win10 you are talking about, it is the Win10 preview. Hardly relevant.
"At this point" I think clearly delineates that it is the preview being discussed here and not the final released product, which is still to come. I was simply putting out a warning that it should not be installed lightly by users who may be thinking it was more 'finished' than it actually is.
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #306
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I in turn think it is misleading to post that to a thread discussing the upcoming finished OS.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #307
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I remember the Win7 preview that was not upgradeable to Win7 production. You had to go back to Vista in order to install the upgrade.

I believe I'll wait, thank you.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #308
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
The Win10 preview, you DO NOT update your existing setup with, unless it's a setup on a test system.

Far better to try it out in a VM or dual boot - there are guides for making it dual boot
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #309
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
MS really wants to migrate everybody to Win10.
Even pirated editions get the upgrade:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...tag=TRE17cfd61

Quote:

Microsoft has inched closer to announcing an official release date for Windows 10. The new operating system, which is currently in a public preview release, "will launch in 190 countries and 111 languages around the world this summer," according to the company.

Executive Vice President Terry Meyerson, who runs the Windows division, made the announcement at the WinHEC conference in Shenzhen, China, yesterday.

In a separate interview, Meyerson told Reuters that the company plans to deliver free Windows 10 upgrades to all customers, even those running pirated versions of Windows. "We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10," Meyerson told Reuters.
Makes sense since Win10 has a big cloud component they intend to monetize, moving forward, and it might be worth it solely for security reasons.

More at the source.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #310
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Very interesting.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #311
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Makes sense since Win10 has a big cloud component they intend to monetize, moving forward, and it might be worth it solely for security reasons.
Even without the cloud component, it probably makes sense. All of Microsoft's competitors are offering free OS upgrades, which leaves Microsoft in an awkward position. They certainly won't lose their dominant market position overnight, but they would increasingly be seen as the laggard because of consumers and businesses who refuse to update due to cost. If they follow through with the OS as a subscription model, it will also help if everyone has the base OS that supports that model.

As much as I dislike Microsoft, I don't envy their position. Apple has revenue streams from their hardware sales as well as online software and media stores. Linux is supported by volunteer developers as well as commercial hardware and software vendors that base their software on Linux. Android is supported by Google's other products, which fits well since Android is a platform for Google's other products. Yet Microsoft is the odd one out since their revenues are, by in large, a product of software licensing.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #312
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Microsofts 'Donate' button will be BIGGER (and in an awkward location )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #313
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
As much as I dislike Microsoft, I don't envy their position. Apple has revenue streams from their hardware sales as well as online software and media stores. Linux is supported by volunteer developers as well as commercial hardware and software vendors that base their software on Linux. Android is supported by Google's other products, which fits well since Android is a platform for Google's other products. Yet Microsoft is the odd one out since their revenues are, by in large, a product of software licensing.
No need to feel sorry for Microsoft.
Everybody focuses on Windows as if it were the only thing they do. It isn't.
MS has more multi-billion dollar revenue streams than Apple, Google, and Facebook combined. They may not make as much off them, but MS is nice and safe. They don't depend on just one revenue stream to stay in business. What Google and Facebook are still trying to do, MS achieved decades ago.

MS could give Windows away and their stock wouldn't even flicker.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #314
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
Its funny, I still don't find myself picking W10 over W7 and I can't nail down what I don't like about it. I start my computer up and the dual boot screen pops up and I still pick 7 over 10.

For what I do 90% (probably more) of the time it would work without issue but I'm just using it and I'm normally an early adopter. Initially I thought it was just not being familiar with it but I can navigate around with out problems but just dont want to use it.

I had been wanting to try a Mac and my boss had one he bought for his dad but his dad didnt like it so I picked up his 2010 Macbook pro andhve been using that over my desktop the last few days. Even though its completly different it still feels more familiar than W10. I do have an Ipad an Iphone so its not completly new to me but not near as familiar as Windows.

Really not sure what it is, and its not a hate or dislike, like W8/8.1 was. I just dont want to use it. Most of the people I know that have 8/8.1 don't like it and are looking forward to the upgrade and all I can tell them is its like W7.

I will upgrade it anyway just to be a step ahead of my wife and be able to fix her systems when she has issues but Im sure she will stay with W7 for as long as possible unless I can switch her over to a Mac.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #315
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I finally bought a replacement for my decade-old Pentium 4 desktop. The new machine has 8.1. I've had it for only a couple hours and I hate it already. Since I want this to be my primary machine, I'm not going to mess with the 10 preview, but if 10 really is more 7-like, then it's probably not worth the trouble of downgrading either. I should just deal with it till 10 is realised. All 8.1 users will get it free, right?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote