Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #31
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
X-Mas isn't Christian anymore, right? It's now a secular holiday, so everyone can enjoy it! Ho-ho-ho! I now have a machine gun.
as I recall the film is from the early 60s
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #32
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
And my reply wsn't meant to be flippant either really. It's just one of those films that, presumably, was shown once or twice around Christmas time and has just kind of stuck from there - I guess it's next to impossible to explain why some things become traditional and some don't.
No, I didn't take it as flippant. I just was wondering if there was something I had forgotten about the movie that had to do with Christmas.

Hey. Our tradition here on Christmas is is Mexican food. Go figure.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Why doesn't anyone ever mention "Bell, Book and Candle." A great Christmas movie although the theme is a bit unusual.
LOVE that film.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #34
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I've been working in Germany a lot lately and one of my German colleagues told me that a German traditional film is one called "Dinner for One" (I think). It sounded like it at least had a Christmas theme - old lady having a Christmas dinner with her friends every Christmas until they all die and then it's just her and her butler from what I heard. I think that they said it was an English film?

Perhaps one of our German members could confirm?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #35
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
LOVE that film.
haven't seen it in years... however, kindle kitten's REAL name is Pyewacket
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #36
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
haven't seen it in years... however, kindle kitten's REAL name is Pyewacket
Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #37
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
For two weeks, every Christmas time, a public television here present one child movie a day, and they call it Ciné-Cadeau (cine-gift). Watching all those old animés of Tintin, Astérix, Garfield, Lucky Luke... that's Christmas to me!

Jumping up and down from anticipation right now!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post

I think it's the best movie every made. I'm being totally serious. Sentimental hogwash, it is, but brilliantly done.

It's a Wonderful Life is definitely up there; it's certainly in my top five at least. It's a wonderful movie.

Have you seen the Married With Children version where Al gets a chance to see what his family's life would have been like without him? The late, great Sam Kinison played Al's guardian angel. Al discovers that everyone's life would have been better had he never been born, but decides he wants to live after all just to spite them.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #39
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Two favorite holiday films that we watch every year in a family marathon are "White Christmas" and "Holiday Inn". I love a good hoaky musical!

After Ryleigh goes to bed, we watch my other favorite, "Scrooged".

When I'm cooking Christmas dinner (which takes most of the day), my husband and kids watch, "A Christmas Story" to much giggling and laughing.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Although technically it's not a Christmas film, I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Wizard of Oz. Here in the States in the 1950s and beyond, you could pretty much count on that film being shown sometime in the the week before Christmas. It hardly seems like a proper holiday without a melting green witch!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #41
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Although technically it's not a Christmas film, I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Wizard of Oz. Here in the States in the 1950s and beyond, you could pretty much count on that film being shown sometime in the the week before Christmas. It hardly seems like a proper holiday without a melting green witch!
Back in the day.....used to be a Thanksgiving offering.

Every Thanksgiving day..........
Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #42
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eco-Reader, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S2
Every Christmas Eve since... well, forever I guess, one of the TV networks here have shown a direct telecast of Carols by Candelight from Melbourne.

It's not really a movie, but it's been a tradition in our household to watch it each year... even though the host is the same, the performers are just about always the same, and of course the carols are always the same. I guess without it Christmas Eve wouldn't be the same.

Paul,
Canberra, Australia
paul1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Back in the day.....used to be a Thanksgiving offering.

Every Thanksgiving day..........
I seem to remember it alternating between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #44
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I seem to remember it alternating between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Well, of course I was so young I probably don't remember that well.............
Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #45
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Lemon Drop Kid-Damon Runyon by way of Bob Hope
Babes in Toyland (aka March of the Wooden Soldiers) with Laurel and Hardy. They used to show this every Christmas.
Donovan's Reef with John Wayne and a Christmas pageant in a leaky chapel with Dorothy Lamour singing Silent Night.
3 Godfathers
Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol
The Man Who Came to Dinner. Monty Wooley is a hoot. (And it has PENGUINS!)

Or you could do a Shelley Winters Christmas:
Whoever Slew Auntie Roo
The Night Of the Hunter (one of my favorite Christmas scenes)
The Greatest Story Ever Told
and for New Year's Eve, The Poseidon Adventure

And then there's Ken Russell's A Kitten for Hitler:
http://www.comedybox.tv/index.aspx?f...cks&clip=10864

Last edited by BenG; 11-13-2009 at 12:36 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote