Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
A question about DRM

Can someone shed some light on how the Sony DRM works. More specifically:

If I download a file into a player that has not been "authorized", will it display? I assume not.

Connect does not let me authorize a reader on more than one account at the same time. If my wife wants to read a book that I bought on her reader, the only way appears to be to deauthorize her from her account and authorize her on my account. Will this make the books that she has bought and downloaded to her reader stop working or will she still be able to read them?

Is there any way to strip the DRM so that my wife can read the file without this mess?

Thanks.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You're correct, the book will refuse to display.

The solution to your delima, unless you've got some particular reason to not do this, is to put both readers on the same account. I think someone else here hit that point and the support folks were willing to move the purchases from the closing account to the remaining one, once they understood that the person (I don't remember who it was offhand, sorry ) meant to completely close the account.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2006, 02:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo
Connect does not let me authorize a reader on more than one account at the same time.
True, but you can authorise more than one Reader on the same account. Any books bought on that account can then be read on any of the authorised Readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
this should be easy. Deauthorize on her account authorize on your account. add the books (to an SD card) and reverse the whole process after you REMOVE the SD card.

now if you stick that SD card in her book (maybe either book ??) it should work just fine UNLESS some kind of key is stored on the reader itself they when you reverse the auth those keys may chance and the readable books may not read any longer. the only way to know is to try. its no harm to try so give it a whirl and let us know what happens.

the right solution is to not buy DRM'd books. then its not an issue.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The Connect books are keyed to the combination of the Account and Reader's internal ID # (don't know what that is, exactly though).

What you're suggesting won't work, unfortunately.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert