Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Bug in Import to Calibre from ADE?

Hi!

I recently updated my Calibre to version 0.9.8 from 0.8.62 because a Kindle book would not convert.

I noticed today, when I viewed some ADE books I imported to through updated Calibre's E-book viewer, it looked like this:

Opening the file in Sigil also showed the same funky characters in the text.

When I converted it through Calibre, it came out looking like this:

It leads me to believe that there is something buggy about the way the epub is being imported to Calibre, because it looks fine in ADE before I import it. Is there a way to change it so it imports properly?

P.s. I didn't realise the writing was so bad. Lol!

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 12-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No Bug

Those are curly quotes converted with a wrong code page setting in Heuristics. see the notes on that setting page: cp1252 is a good start
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh! Now, where would I change that? I'm "a user" as my computer programmer spouse calls me, I have little idea hot to modify things.

UPDATE: Found where to change that, but it didn't change anything. I'm hoping that it's just those few ebooks and not everything. It's not so much of a problem with a few books, but with ALL ebooks from now on that will be a pain.

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 12-06-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I can't see your images (firewalls blocking at current location) but I am guessing it is the same issue as discussed in this thread, for which as mentioned there I recommend using the Modify ePub plugin to fix.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
VirgoGirl

Thanks! I installed the plugin, tried to modify it to use the "Encode HTML in UTF8" option but it would not let me modify it. Still the same problem.

Thank you for the help!
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
VirgoGirl

I give up, I can't get it to change anything. It's probably me, everyone else has success with the plugin, but I can't get it to work. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Thanks! I installed the plugin, tried to modify it to use the "Encode HTML in UTF8" option but it would not let me modify it. Still the same problem.

Thank you for the help!
What do you mean "would not let me modify it"?

I have seen your screenshots now, and they are the same as the other thread and exactly the scenario that feature should fix for you. After restarting calibre, tick that option you mention above, click ok, when it finishes it pops up with a prompt asking if you want to replace your epub with the newly modified book and click yes. It should now show in the calibre viewer with the correct quotes etc.

If it still doesn't work, feel free to PM me a link to that particular epub after you upload it somewhere, or email it to me and I will take a look.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
VirgoGirl

I see what the problem was, my Calibre window was not wide enough to display the "Modify Epub" icon. I thought I had to modify the plugin *itself* in order to render it correctly, which is why it said "doesn't need to be modified". Now that the window is widened, the icon shows up.

Sorry, my sincere apologies for not knowing it was a toolbar icon, I thought it was a modifiable plugin.