Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
pablolic
pablolic began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Hi from Buenos Aires, Argentina ! Angry about AvantGo

Hi everybody !
My name is Pablo, I'm wrinting from Buenos Aires.

I joined this forum to be able to find a functioning alternative to AvantGo, since I've had enough of broken links in channels, channels that are not updated regularly, and TIRED of reinstalling it every couple of days when the anoying problem of regular desconfiguration appears (start screen asking username and password after a successful sync).

I'd like to find a WORKING product with almost the exact features AvantGo has, that is CURRENTLY SUPPORTED AND IN ACTIVE DEVELOPMENT.
- update content in every Hotsync and also using wi-fi hot-spots
- channels with text and images
- one hand operation (with 5-way Palm TX navigation button)

I've tried Quick News, but it only read RSS feeds, and I'm not willing to buy a separate product to download images. I'm trying Sunrise XP + Plucker now, but I'm frustrated with the complexity of the sunrise filters I'd have to write (DOES ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN FIND PROVEN FILTER SETTINGS FOR MANY OF THE USUAL PAGES ??), and also Plucker resets. I've also installed Isilo and Mobipocket, but still haven't used them with their desktop app to download web content.

Ok, more than enough for an introduction, thanks a lot in advance for all your help.

Pablo
pablolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
pabloic, welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
bodryn
bodryn began at the beginning.

Device: TRGpro, Palm IIIx
Hola, Pablo - good to hear from you down south. Thought I would tell you what I've been doing for years now when I want to download and read articles from the internet. I did initially try AvantGo but didn't follow through for some reason, don't remember why. Instead I started cutting and pasting text to plain text files on my computer, and then using Aportis to convert that text into .pdb files readable by my TRGpro which is similar to the old Palm IIIx. Since it has a CF card in the back, I can simply use a CF card reader to put these files from the computer onto the CF card, then put the CF card into the TRGpro and read freely at no cost or trouble. Of course I would like pictures too and haven't solved that one exactly. There is a program called Pinstall that I have used to change Jpegs into a form that the TRGpro can read but that has problems. I'm hoping to learn more on this website. Take care.
bodryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
pablolic
pablolic began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Thumbs up Loving Plucker

After some efforts learning SunriseXP, I was able to replace AvantGo and QuickNews with Sunrise + Plucker.

Today I enjoy reading in Plucker several Argentine newspapers (Clarin, La Nacion, El Cronista), some blogs (Google Operating System, and others), several news sites (NYT, BBC, Cnet, Infoworld, BusinessWeek), some comics (Dilbert), daily updated information on investment funds (Bloomberg), mass lectures in spanish ( http://www.sadca.com/arivera/OrdinarioMisa.html ), and other regularly updated sites.

Now I'm starting to use it to create reference documents in my Palm, containing sections of Wikipedia related to different matters. For example, I created one document with the TCP/IP model, and 2 links down from there, filtering discussions, history, etc. I'm very satisfied with the results !

On the down side, I still experiment some resets, specially while reading documents with several pictures, and regret Plucker doesn't have a way to export to Memo a complete page. It'd be great if the developers could add this feature in the next version.

I can upload my sxl file if someone thinks it could be of use.

Regards.
Pablo
pablolic is offline   Reply With Quote