Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
impatiens
impatiens began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
How to remove screensaver ads, but keep bottom banner?

I have a Kindle Touch with special offers. I used to have a Sony PRS-350, and I miss being able to change screensavers. However, I want to keep the bottom banner ads, since that seems fair to Amazon. I found this link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164261

However, the 1.5 version seems to be a completely different mod. Are there any mods or sets of instructions to remove only the screensavers?
impatiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
After firmware 5.1,I wont try to be nice to amazon
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
After firmware 5.1,I wont try to be nice to amazon
You are not the only amazon customer who mentioned that 5.1 "used up" their remaining customer loyalty for amazon. No more "support amazon because they are the good guys" comments from me until amazon comes out with less hostile firmware.

In fact, I just started rooting my new Nook Simple Touch ($79.99USD, with built-in android OS, multi-touch, SD-card slot, bluetooth, and more).

I plan to expand my kindle native mode apps to ALSO run on the NST.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You are not the only amazon customer who mentioned that 5.1 "used up" their remaining customer loyalty for amazon.
What's wrong with 5.1? It seems like a very nice enhancement over 5.0 to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's wrong with 5.1? It seems like a very nice enhancement over 5.0 to me.
The end-user experience is improved, but with 5.1.0 amazon started making a bunch of "anti-custom-developer" changes that annoy those of us who provide unofficial enhancements and custom apps.

They made MANY changes that break compatibility even with 5.0.x firmware. Programs that write to the eink framebuffer that work on 5.0.x do work on 5.1.0, requiring that they be recompiled using the new C header files with "broken eink ioctl structures". Programs compiled for 5.1.0 firmware do not work on 5.0.x firmware (the eink display updates stop working due to eink ioctl structure incompatibilities). That is a serious bug because they are the same major firmware version and linux standards dictate that ioctl calls must maintain backward compatibility. Also, for writing kindlets (Java apps), 5.0.x firmware was NOT obfuscated, but 5.1.0 IS obfuscated (scrambled to make it difficult to enhance with custom code).

They also removed the "data.tar.gz" mechanism when booting from main, that we use to install custom code.

And with a recent OTA update there are now reports that during each reboot it DELETES some of the code we added that we need for debricking, requiring us to jump through extra hoops to repair a kindle. Like other firmware updates, there are many reports of UNHACKED kindles getting bricked during a firmware update.

Basically, they did a bunch of stuff to annoy the kindle developers who are the life of this forum.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-10-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Yup, no changes to /var/local/waf/shared/js/navigator.js after reboot. After 5.1, every thread on this forum became "How amazon screwed the pooch and other ignored topics"
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm personally OK with 5.1.0. Both as a user and as a hacker ("hacker" in a the finest sense, or should I say "developer"?).

(Except that introduced security breach, of course...)
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
I'm personally OK with 5.1.0. Both as a user and as a hacker ("hacker" in a the finest sense, or should I say "developer"?).

(Except that introduced security breach, of course...)
IMHO it does not make much sense to make it harder for the good guys (obfuscation and incompatible ioctl structure changes), while at the same time making it easier for the bad guys (security breach bug you mentioned that can run arbitrary code in a 5.1.0 kindle by visiting an "infected" website).

We are hoping this got fixed in the latest 5.1.1 firmware version being shipped with (some) new kindles (without adding extra annoyances for developers):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2108285

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.